14-year sentence for female genital mutilation

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
14-year sentence for genital mutilation
Ananova UK 3/3/04

Parents are expected to face prosecution for inflicting so-called female circumcision on their daughters as a result of a new law which has come into force.

Home Secretary David Blunkett said he believed people would now face investigation after a loophole in the law was closed by new legislation.

The practice, described by Mr Blunkett as "an obscenity", has been illegal in the UK since 1985 - but not a single prosecution was made under that law.

Families have been able to evade retribution by arranging for girls to have the operation during a "holiday" abroad.

Now the law applies to surgical procedures carried out overseas as well as in the UK, and increases the maximum penalty from five to 14 years' imprisonment.

The director of one charity said some cases may not become known until children born after today reach child-bearing age - and their injuries are noted by obstetricians or midwives.

"No cultural, medical or other reason can ever justify a practice that causes so much pain and suffering," said Mr Blunkett. "Regardless of cultural background, it is completely unacceptable and should be illegal wherever it takes place."

He added: "We have an obscenity here. We have abuse and mutilation.

"Where doctors come across this mutilation they have a duty to report it.

"It's critical to provide a very clear message to all professions dealing with girls that not only is female genital mutilation illegal in this country but it's illegal to allow people to go out of this country for such abuse.

"That includes teachers and social workers who previously may have thought that this was a cultural matter that they ought to stay clear of."

A wide range of ethnic minority communities perform the procedure, which involves the surgical removal of the clitoris and sometimes parts of the labia. It is designed to reduce the ability to feel sexual pleasure and increase matrimonial opportunities but has a number of harmful effects on health.

Women who have undergone female genital mutilation are twice as likely to die in childbirth and four times more likely to give birth to a stillborn child, experts say. Workers in the sector say it is typically carried out on girls aged between four and 13 but can sometimes be inflicted on new-born babies or on young women before marriage or pregnancy.

An estimated 74,000 women in the UK have undergone the procedure and a further 7,000 girls under 16 are said to be at risk in the UK.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 701 • Replies: 6
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:16 am
ouch
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:18 am
I can't help but wonder if there are people who follow, this practice here in the States. And whether there are prohibitory laws in place to deal with it?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:28 am
Since 1996 it's been illegal in the States to perform it on girls under 18, but undoubtedly there are still a few who perform it anyway.

In Djibouti where I lived not too long ago 98% of the women are excised (though the practice was officially outlawed there in '95).
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:31 am
History and laws re female circumcision
History and laws re female circumcision:

http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/WMNS/Projects/Wmns36/bloodletting/femframe.htm

AND

http://www.parkridgecenter.org/Page131.html
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:34 pm
I'm very glad that the UK will take this seriously.

I had a girlfriend, a few years ago now, who wrote a dissertation on FGM "female genital mutilation". I looked at some of material she used in her studies and was horrified.

While the instant reaction is "I don't want even to THINK about that", please keep informing others about this atrocity.

So many women die as a result of the procedure - not at the time, but as a result of consequent infections (especially during periods, following sex or childbirth).

Keep fighting this atrocity by spreading the word.

Well done, BBB.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:33 pm
I once read the number of women in this world who are victim of genital mutilation is above 100 million. In countries like Somalia more than 98% of women are victim to this. A ex-muslim woman from Somalia, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who is also a prominent politician in the Netherlands and victim herself of genital mutilation, accomplished just a few days ago that from now on parents who have their daughters being genitally mutilated outside the Netherlands will also be convicted here in the Netherlands. A good step towards totally banning female genital mutilation.
0 Replies