Emergency Cat Problem!

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:49 pm
Hey, everybody I really need y'alls help with a problem with my cat Tabbie. He's almost a year old and I have had him since he was 12 weeks old. The problem is that I cannot get him to stop urinating all over my home. He has urinated on my jacket twice when it was laying on my loveseat, I washed the jacket, but I can't seem to get the smell out of my furniture. We had a pompasan (spelling?) chair that he completely destroyed and had to be thrown out. I am certain that he has marked the carpet in every room and my other cat's pillow and various throw blankets around my home. The last straw was tonight, though, when he peed on a throw blanket that was sitting on top of some of my fiances' books. Several of his beloved books are now ruined with water damage and even more are saturated by the smell of tom spray. We are both at our wits end, my fiance' laid down an ultimatum about how this HAS to be fixed very SOON or the cat goes. I can't blame him, I can't live with the prospect of having all my furniture and carpets and other things being destroyed, either. I don't want to have to get rid of my cat! Crying or Very sad
I need help.
Tabbie is neutered but he had one testicle that never dropped and the vet said that the surgery required to go inside and remove it was invasive and difficult. He told me that there was a good chance that it had never developed and wouldn't produce hormones and he would not get the urge to spray. Well obviously it did. Another mystery to me is that he doesn't actually spray, the scent is in his urine.
Tabbie also defecates on the floor right next to the litter box (tile floor at least). He uses the box occasionally and I don't know what the circumstances are that make him go outside the box. I have another male cat and a female, both fixed. The other male has never sprayed in his life.

I'm calling the vet in the morning and see if he has an option, even if it is the surgery.
Please someone give me any advice if you have had a similar problem. I have had cats all of my life, male and female and I have never had this much of a problem getting a cat trained.
Also if you have any advice on how to permanently remove this odor so that he won't go back to the same spot again.

Thank you everybody!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,898 • Replies: 34
No top replies

caprice

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:17 am
Gee Aldistar! Hopefully the vet can help as far as getting him completely fixed.

I found this via Google regarding removal of the scent. Apparently a vinegar solution will not only remove the smell, but keep the cat away too. Worth a try at any rate!

http://pages.tipking.com/letters/letter_0103_36.shtml
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:26 am
This site has some information, although I'm not certain how much would be useful. But I am including it just in case.

http://www.messybeast.com/toileting-problem.htm
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:27 am
Ooo! Might be a bladder infection.

http://www.petpsych.com/articles/accidents.htm
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:36 am
This had a good bit about getting rid of the odour and such.

Quote:
To get rid of the smell, the product I have found to work best is Nature's Miracle just for cats - a natural enzyme that breaks down the cat urine at the molecular level. It's available at most pet stores and also online if you do a web search.

To locate all the soiled areas, use a black light (sold in many pet stores for this purpose) - cat urine will glow under the black light so you can be sure to get it all. Soak each area with Nature's Miracle (carpet requires a thorough soaking) and allow it to dry naturally. The smell may persist while the area is wet and the enzymes work but when it's dry the smell should be gone. Re-check with the black light to make sure the area is clean. cats can detect the smell even when humans can't and they will be drawn back to the area.

After it's dry, spray the areas with a product called "Feliway", it is a spray you apply to walls, floor and furniture to prevent territorial urine urination. It also helps to calm stressed cats because it mimics the cheek
pheremones that cats give off when they rub their cheeks on something or someone. It makes them feel like "everything is OK" and that is a place they should mark with their cheeks not urine. It's available as a spray and as a plug-in diffuser in most pet stores and online at
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=1&pCatId=1061
In a persistent case like this I would use the spray directly on problem areas, and the diffuser in the room.

http://experts.about.com/q/1606/3219677.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:55 am
I thought it could be a bladder infection, too, Aldistar. How long has this been going on?
It might be a good idea to consult a vet to see what s/he thinks. Bladder infections are quite debilitating for cats & treatment might be necessary.
Another thought: cats sometimes behave like this when they're stressed. (frightened, threatened, change of surroundings, etc.)
Good luck!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:35 am
What did the vet say?

I had a male cat who sprayed and puddled whenever he had a bladder infection. Once he started on antibiotics, his objectionable behavior stopped. Good luck.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:33 pm
I haven't had a chance to get a hold of the vet. hopefully I can get a hold of him tomorrow. Thank you everybody for the help. I am going to use some of those techniques in the links.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:43 pm
I can say from experience that nature's miracle is a good product.

Not only could a baldder infection cause your cat to pee on stuff, but another physical problem can as well. Sometimes cats can make crystals in their bladders, this is more problematic for males than it is for females due to anatomy. It's a serious problem and the cat could actually die from it.

Get around to calling the vet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 11:48 pm
Yes, littlek, I've had that experience with one of my previous cats ..... caused by one of the "wrong" varieties of cat food. No problem after a course of antibiotics & change of diet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:12 pm
yep.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 09:03 pm
I went to the vet with my mom and her cat but I couldn't talk to the doctor because as soon as he looked at my mom's cat he literally ran out the door. His office was so busy, I could never get near him Mad . This has been going on for almost as long as we have had him ( about 9 months). I don't think it is a bladder problem, but I can't be sure. I won't be able to get ahold of the vet now until Monday Mad . I won't talk to any of the techs he has working for him, those kids do not know anything! Once they even brought me out the wrong cat! The doctor is very nice and experienced, though. I think Monday I will tell work I will be a little late and just take him in without an appointment and squeeze myself in. If he does have an infection I don't want to wait any longer than possible.

Thanks again!

Where would I find this nature's miracle? A pet store or a grocery store?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 09:07 pm
Look in the pet sotre for Nature's Miracle.

Why don't you make an appt?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 09:10 pm
Is there another vet you can try?
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 09:24 pm
caprice wrote:
Is there another vet you can try?

There is another vet that a friend recomended, but she said he was really expensive. While I would do anything to help my kitties, I just don't have any money. my fiance has been unemployed since Christmas and jobs are scarce.

Again, it's not the vet that I don't like, but rather the kids he has working for him. Everytime they are left in charge, it seems something goes wrong.

Hmmm...maybe I will go see this new guy. If he allows for payments then it will be no problem.

It's to late to make an appt. for Monday, Littlek. If I were to call Mon. morning they wouldn't schedule me until probably Friday. If it is an infection I don't want Tabbie to have to wait any longer than he already has. I have gone in unannounced before and they usually squeeze me in pretty quickly. The doctor has even told me to come in without an appointment when something unexpected comes up, they are always happy to help. That is another reason why I like this vet so much. I f they would just get rid of that boy who works there, he always seems like he doesn't want to be there. He is the one who always does something wrong.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 09:55 pm
I hope for the kitty's sake it isn't a bladder infection. I speak from personal experience when I say they can be incredibly painful. Sad
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:11 pm
Quote:
Another mystery to me is that he doesn't actually spray, the scent is in his urine.

"Spray" IS urine; male cats spray it on vertical surfaces to mark their territory... I hope the vet can help you solve your problem. What will you do if he can't be helped?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:27 pm
Did I get this right... you have two cats and this male cat has been peeing on things for nine months? What does the other cat do? Is it a female or male?
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:27 pm
I have 3 cats. Two male and a female. They are all fixed. My other neutered male has never sprayed and has never left behind any kind of odor when he urinates. I just don't know why my other male does this.

If there is nothing the vet can do I still plan to try the Nature's Miracle and Feliway treatments on the furniture. I also plan to add another litterbox (as I only have one big one for three cats).

I feel that a combination of these remedies will be successful. Getting rid of my cat is not really a realistic option for me. I love him too much. I will just have to keep trying different things untill I find something that does work. Confused
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:09 am
When we had three cats 2 males -brothers & 1 older female, all neutered we had horrible (HORRIBLE) problems with spraying after the brothers reached a certain age. In the end, we had to completely redo the living room because the stink was so awful. That meant taking up the wall-to-wall, removing the tack strips -- which we found held a lot of the smell -- don't ask how we found out that! -- and covering the walls to window level height with varnish before repainting. (It's the painting technique used after smoke damage.)

Prior to that drastic step, we'd clean & fumigate the spot that "somebody" had been using and darned if the spraying wouldn't continue just beyond our work. It was diabolical. Much as I love cats, and I really, really do, their ability to literally piss off their humans is not a good character trait.

Btw -- You can't necessarily blame just the one fella. Once one cat started, all the cats felt inclined to spray that corner, including the female. I know because I watched her do it.

I hope that a second litterbox will help, maybe even a third one will make them feel better about the close quarters. Lots of luck to you!
0 Replies