[answered]Cookies

caprice

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 02:32 am
Hopefully these questions haven't been asked before, or the answers mentioned in the form of information before. I tried looking, but couldn't find anything, so I'm assuming no on both counts.

I will usually explore and post messages here from the desktop computer. Every so often I will use my laptop. But tonight (Monday night/Tuesday morning) I used my laptop and had problems where I couldn't post without having to log in every time. Pages would load without avatars. I switched back to the desktop and voila! Everything was fine. I was going to message a moderator about it when I thought I should check out my cookie settings, just to be certain. I could have sworn I had cookies set to "reject" on the desktop computer browser (I know they are on my laptop browser) and I don't remember changing 'em, but the settings indicated I was accepting cookies.

Okay, so after that preamble, here are my questions. When did cookies become mandatory for accessing this site? What level do I need to enable in order to visit here hassle free? (I use Netscape 7.1.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 881 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:20 am
Cookies are not mandatory here. Right now I am blocking A2K cookies. I'll test it a bit to make sure that the code changes I made today have not affected this.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:40 am
Well, I've checked extensively and am currently surfing and posting without cookies. So this confirms what i already knew, the problem isn't cookies.

When you log in without cookies the sessions are maintained by a session ID in the links. This checks against the user IP for security )so that others can't hijack your session and then your account). So sometimes the sessions can be lost due to IP rotation. But that doesn't seem to be the case with you.

What URL's are you using to access this site? Sometimes you can have trouble if you try to use the IP address or one of the other domains that route here.

This may well be out of my control. Sessions are functioning as they should and it could be an issue with something on your end or ISP that i am not aware of.

Loosing a session is caused by many things (making it hard to troubleshoot). Some ISPs like AOL are setup in ways that kill sessions all the time. I'm not sure what is causing your problems but sessions without cookies are woring for me. And I'm on AOL right now.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 04:35 am
I've been working on this for the last hour and am seeing some session issues now on the site's end that came up with the new static URLs.

It'll probably have to be resolved over the next few days as the solution will certainly be complex.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:11 am
It's resolved now. Logged in users get dynamic URLs and guests get static ones. So you should be able to block cookies and get a session ID in the URL.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 01:00 am
Yup, no problems now, thanks!

I didn't think it was my ISP because I have the same one as Ceili and she wasn't having problems.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:32 am
Yep, my initiall accessment was wrong. It was only two files (out of a couple thousand) that would duplicate the problem and in my first testing I didn't hit those files.
0 Replies