Should I get A Patent?

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:30 am
A one of the requirements in my bachelor's degree, a research is conducted and my study is something about hoe security. It includes sensors, a running program and a mobile application which I made myself running on a windows 7 mobile phone. My professor would always tell me that he is going to apply patent for it but a year after graduation, he still wasn't able to do it. If you were on my shoes, what would you do? Thanks a lot.

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 06:27 am
@AngelaMiller,
Apply. But they ain't cheap to get.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 09:53 am
First of all, WHY is your professor getting the patent?

Isn't this your invention?

You can look up patents on-line to see if this has already been done.
This "patent search" is what the lawyers charge for and you could do it yourself. You may have quite a task if you are doing an international seearch, but get some help from your friends.

Then you need to get drawings, description, etc and submit it to the Patent Office.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 10:20 am
@AngelaMiller,
As an erstwhile inventor myself I wouldn't bother unless you have an assured market or are willing to spend the rest of your life seeking one

Merely becoming an inventor is an ego thing otherwise worthless
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:47 pm
@AngelaMiller,
Most of the time, if you have to ask, no you should not get a patent. It is a legal instrument that serves a purpose, if you don't know if you need one you probably do not. Your idea has likely been had many times and patenting it won't do anything for you unless you are going to spend money having it upheld and enforcing it.

So basically, unless you have something of real tangible value to protect and the assets to do so it's just going to be a piece of paper, like a vanity inventor certificate.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert has nailed it eloquently. If your gadget is any good it will be copied mercifully and you'll spend the rest of your life filing lawsuits

If it's truly original write an article about it for a tech mag. At least you'll get a few bucks for it
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:56 pm
@dalehileman,
I missed the important part of the answer though:

Real artists ship. Execute.

Don't navel-gaze. If you want it to mean anything go for it. People who get in that rut rarely get out of it and often don't do anything but talk about doing things. Don't stand around asking about the nuances of how to do it. Do it.

Doing it faster, executing it better, that is the most important part of patent protection.
0 Replies

AngelaMiller

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 02:49 am
@jespah,
Yes I pretty well know that thing. Thanks for your reply jespha.
0 Replies

AngelaMiller

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 02:53 am
@PUNKEY,
Honestly, I do not really know why my professor wants to have a patent. I don't know it right but is sort of he wants to have the idea ours, well, being he as my adviser.

I can consider it as an invention. But I wasn't able to look for it in the internet if it is the first of its kind. But assuming it passed all the defenses and helped me graduate, I think it first. Yet I know getting patent is not that easy and cheap.
0 Replies

AngelaMiller

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 02:55 am
@dalehileman,
Yes it is also one of the factor I am looking at in the future - the market. How will people accept and take it. Thanks dalehileman.
0 Replies

AngelaMiller

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 02:57 am
@AngelaMiller,
Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciated it. Whooow, I never thought of those things. From the start I am thinking that it is an easy task to apply for patent but ... it is not. Lots of considerations, efforts and most of all - expenses.
0 Replies