The first crewed spacecraft to Mars should be named the "Armstrong".

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 12:00 pm
I have a suggestion for everyone. The next spacecraft to Mars should be named "The Neil Armstrong".

Neil Armstrong was a seminal hero as he walked on the Moon, changing the way humans literally and figuratively viewed the world. Armstrong fulfilled the human dream of exploration and, in the midst of the Cold War, showed the world what American ingenuity could accomplish.

As the first man on the moon, the world was Armstrong’s for the taking. He could have cashed in on his fame, become a politician or otherwise leveraged his name. But he did not. Armstrong, from a small town in Ohio, chose to live his life with a quiet dignity, fulfilled with the knowledge that he helped to change the world.

Do you agree?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 3
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 12:11 pm
The question you should ask anybody you ever talk to from NASA is this:

Assuming Hitler and Nazi Germany had won WW-II, what is the last date at which you could picture human feet having been on Mars?

My own guess would be around 1984 - 1987, assuming that Germany would have acquired Texas Instruments and had something like a 68020 processor available by that time. The German Nazis had more than their share of philosophical and ethical problems, but they never had the problems with missing cajones which NASA seems to have and I cannot picture Hitler or any other Nazi leader telling a German space agency that their main thrust henceforth was to be assisting muslims with their self-esteem issues.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 01:43 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Seems reasonable to me bbb, unless of course the first manned mission to mars isn't from the USA.
0 Replies

hater

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 09:48 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
quit dreaming space cadet. no human could ever survive on mars. there's no air for crying out loud!!! its freezing, and there is no water. what would you survive on. you wouldnt. you would be dead
0 Replies