That "Dr. Laura" letter...

Heywood

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:20 am
Whats up all,

Someone sent this to me, I read it and thought it was absoultely hilarious. I'm sure we all know people who use direct quotes from the bible to justify their opinions.

Of course, Dr. Lara agrees with them, and one listener decided to send her this message.

Does anyone know if she replied to this in any way? (on the air/ on her website)? And although I'm sure this has been brought up before, what do you think of what it says?

I'm tipping my hat to whomever wrote it. Its classic:

Here ya go:

Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear prescription glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,083 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:26 am
LOL! I love it :-D
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:20 am
Is it time to gather up all the Fairy tales [ Bibles ] around the world and have a massive barnfire. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 01:34 pm
I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a response to this by those who support their theories by using bible quotes.

PLEASE, can someone who is "Bible quoter" address this apparent discrepency? I would LOVE to hear some sort of justification or explination of the above Bible statments.

By the way, dont' get me wrong. I am NOT coming down on or mean to insult the very religious here. I just want to hear a decent explination for the apparent double standard (quoting from the Bible explicitly on some things, but ignoring it for others).
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 01:49 pm
That's funny. I wish someone had done it (probably not, as they screen callers first and would have cut her off - but we can hope.)

And, I thought she was Jewish? She is christian?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 09:51 pm
I read somewhere she converted and has become the worst type of hypocrite towards her former faith.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
Maybe the letter had some effect. New Turn
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:46 am
Link doesn't work. Can you please fix it? I'd like to see what it says.

And by the way, the silence from the religious bible quoters is deafening.

Can at least ONE of you please address the letter? Please?
I hate it when a good question is asked, then it gets ignored by the very people who its posed to...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:28 pm
Hi. I'm not a real bible quoter, but I play one on evangelical TV. To address your questions, the answer is, in the immortal words of George Michael who was framed for the sin of homosexuality, "You gotta have faith." Tell me, can anyone with such deep Christian insight REALLY be a....fag?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:03 pm
Heywood wrote:

Not sure what happened to that link. I can no longer get to the site. Maybe to many hits from A2Kers took it down. Here is another with similar information.
Dr. Laura Renounces Orthodoxy
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:12 pm
Heywood wrote:

And by the way, the silence from the religious bible quoters is deafening.

Can at least ONE of you please address the letter? Please?
I hate it when a good question is asked, then it gets ignored by the very people who its posed to...

i have addressed these issues in the forgiveness and repentence thread...

anyone with a basic understanding of the bible has no trouble at all with these issues...the new testament clearly explains why we are no longer under the law....you should read the new testament to understand this...simple concepts really....that article was simply an ignorant attack upon Christianity....and a poor one...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:16 pm
And on that thread you have repeatedly been exposed as someone who has no idea what he is talking about. Its actually quite entertaining.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:26 pm
hobitbob wrote:
And on that thread you have repeatedly been exposed as someone who has no idea what he is talking about. Its actually quite entertaining.

actually, this forum happens to be inhabited by some ignorant Christian-Haters who delight in spewing fiction....

good luck finding a Christian who thinks i don't know what i'm talking about.....
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:08 pm
micah wrote:
anyone with a basic understanding of the bible has no trouble at all with these issues...the new testament clearly explains why we are no longer under the law....you should read the new testament to understand this...simple concepts really....that article was simply an ignorant attack upon Christianity....and a poor one...

1. The question is posted to those who quote literal passages from the bible to justify their opinions. Are you one of those people? If not, then just ignore this post.

2. The article is a challenge to the validity of the claims for the people who fall into the category of 1.

It may be construed as an "attack" if you choose to see it that way, but when you step back and look at it, those are honest questions (although presented in a humerous context).

Here's the conflict:
A person makes an assumption (homosexuality is bad), because the Bible claims it in XYZ passage.
Thus, they claim the assumption is true.
Using that reasoning (the bible's literal claim of XYZ passage is correct), one may then make other assumptions as posted in the letter above.
HOWEVER, these additional assumptions, taken from the same source are terrible indeed.
So why are SOME claims valid, while OTHERS are not, if taken from the same source?

I hope I broke it down clearly enough.

SOOOOoooooo..... I'm still waiting for a decent argument. PLEASE, please, please... lets hear it!

Now
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:02 pm
Heywood wrote:
So why are SOME claims valid, while OTHERS are not, if taken from the same source?

luckily, God has granted us both discernment and scripture to determine which ones are valid....with a seeking and prayerful heart, one can discern.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:07 pm
Quote:
luckily, God has granted us both discernment and scripture to determine which ones are valid....with a seeking and prayerful heart, one can discern.

Micah- So, from what you are saying, Christians pick and choose from the scriptures. Now what happens, when equally discerning, seeking, and prayerful people, pick and choose different parts of the scripture as truth, and ignore different parts?
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Micah- So, from what you are saying, Christians pick and choose from the scriptures. Now what happens, when equally seeking and prayerful people, pick and choose different parts of the scripture as truth, and ignore different parts?

well...that is what is happening today...a huge majority of Churches agree on the essentials....

there is nothing wrong with debating the little parts.....

if you'd like, i could post those essentials and with a bit of searching you could verify those with many Church Doctrines around the world....

the essentials are the important thing here...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:32 pm
So are you attempting to imply that the bible is both 100% "literally true" and that it is subject to interperetation? Even you must see the fallacy inherent in such a position.
0 Replies

micah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:49 pm
hobitbob wrote:
So are you attempting to imply that the bible is both 100% "literally true" and that it is subject to interperetation? Even you must see the fallacy inherent in such a position.

no, some of scripture is symbolic, this is obvious....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:53 pm
But in other threads you have stated that you believe the bible to be 100% true, and have referred to it as an historical document. You see the dichotomy here. You cannot have it both ways.
0 Replies