Who destroyed the University?

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 04:16 pm
Guess who!

http://junctrebellion.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/how-the-american-university-was-killed-in-five-easy-steps/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 5,914 • Replies: 73

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 05:03 pm
@plainoldme,
I did not know things were that bad. IF this guy and his website are, in fact, accurate.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:07 pm
@plainoldme,
I think the article is dead on correct. I've been complaining about this for at least two years and everyone thinks I'm a nutty conspiracy theorist.

The recent publication of the Texas Republican party platform couldn't have made it any clearer -- they do not want people to think for themselves, they want good drones they can employ for **** wages (and make them feel successful for being the person hired for those **** wages).

The book "Shop Class as Soulcraft" has a great discussion on how Henry Ford got this whole way of thinking underway.

Honestly, the better Mo does in school the more fights I pick with him at home to be sure he remembers how to think.

Anyway....

I do sometimes find things that restore my faith.

Every Sunday Mr. B and I walk to the neighborhood farmer's market. This week we found ourselves sharing a table with a high up muckety muck from Reed College.

By chance the morning paper had run an article on Reed's new $28,000.000 arts building and we had a great conversation about investing in arts and humanities and how the students at Reed are a different breed of learners. Mr. High Up declared that Mo would make a good candidate for attending his neighborhood college.

Fingers crossed.....
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:17 pm
The University was dead when they capitulated the the leftist radicals in the 1960's. Once education was no longer the primary purpose, once indoctrination was, the University ceased to exist. A new group has used its power to take over the indoctrination machinery, that is all. The corporate class took over the business schools a long long time ago, our not understanding what has happened is a great illustration of our ignorance.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:04 am
@hawkeye10,
The leftists are the ones who think for themselves. Its the religious conservatives who think as their told too by their masters. Just continue to do as your told and everything will be ok for the 2%.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:11 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
The leftists are the ones who think for themselves.

So long as they think the "right" thoughts of course, otherwise they are in violation of the PC Laws upon giving voice the the "wrong" thoughts and are subject to retribution.

Free thinkers are extremely rare these days, in any flavor, and are lightly tolerated.
raprap

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Apparently you didn't read the same link I did.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:51 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Apparently you didn't read the same link I did.

Apparently I dont have the same opinion as does the author of the link you read..........do you have a problem with that?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Not true. On this site there are many free thinkers who dont think according to the fox news or according to Rush. There are also some who parrot the conservative view.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:10 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Not true. On this site there are many free thinkers who dont think according to the fox news or according to Rush. There are also some who parrot the conservative view.

You should reconsider your definition of "free thinker". Yours sucks.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:29 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
The leftists are the ones who think for themselves.
Its the religious conservatives who think as their told too by their masters.
Just continue to do as your told and everything will be ok for the 2%.
I have thawt for myself and I have continually CHALLENGED AUTHORITY, since the age of O.
I even reject paradigmatic spelling, trying to subvert it, insofar as it is not fonetic.
I am very right wing, in the interest of Individualism and liberty.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:34 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I think the article is dead on correct. I've been complaining about this for at least two years
and everyone thinks I'm a nutty conspiracy theorist.

The recent publication of the Texas Republican party platform
couldn't have made it any clearer -- they do not want people to think for themselves,
boomer, what did u find in that platform
that led to believe that: "they do not want people to think for themselves" ??

David
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Call me shocked that the Texas GOP Platform includes a plank supporting the micro managing nanny state with its police state law book. We cant possibly have people deciding for themselves how to behave you know!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:45 am
@hawkeye10,
DAVID wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Call me shocked that the Texas GOP Platform includes a plank
supporting the micro managing nanny state with its police state law book.
WHAT, in particular ????????
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
WHAT, in particular ????????

I was being SARCASTIC David....the Liberals are the last people who should be whining about people not thinking for themselves, they hate letting that happen.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:51 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
I think the article is dead on correct. I've been complaining about this for at least two years and everyone thinks I'm a nutty conspiracy theorist.

Thorstein Veblen published The Higher Learning in America in 1918. It's all in that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:57 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
We cant possibly have people deciding for themselves how to behave you know!

I do know hawk. We cant possibly have people deciding for themselves how to behave. It would be catastrophic.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I have thawt for myself and I have continually CHALLENGED AUTHORITY, since the age of O.

Dream on Dave. I trust you don't spout that sort of nonsense in social gatherings. Your mirror is the best place.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:11 am
@spendius,

DAVID wrote:
spendius wrote:
Dream on Dave. I trust you don't spout that sort of nonsense in social gatherings. Your mirror is the best place.
I 'll assume that u r impaired by too much beer
and disregard your inaccurate insults.
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:45 am
While there is a lot of interest in that article, there is also a good deal of polemic. Polemical rants, whether they come from the right or the left, rarely illuminate problems, and rarely offer practical solutions. I'd be interested to see if there is any evidence for the claims the author makes.
0 Replies