Who destroyed the University?

plainoldme

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:36 pm
@boomerang,
Catching up.

@ Boomerang -- You are 100% correct about Pearson.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:40 pm
Lustig Andrei -- I use a story called Old MAn At the Bridge from a collection of Hemingway stories. I suspect it is part of a novel, however, and not an independent story.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:10 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Lustig Andrei -- I use a story called Old MAn At the Bridge from a collection of Hemingway stories. I suspect it is part of a novel, however, and not an independent story.

No, I don't think it is part of a larger work. That's one of the very early Hemingway short stories, first published, I believe, in Men Without Women which preceded The Sun Also Rises by a year or two. I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I vaguely remember "Old Man at the Bridge" and I believe its inspiration was Hemingway's covereage of the civil war in Greece.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm wrong on several counts in my earlier post.
(1) Men Without Women(1927) appeared in print one year after the publication of The Sun Also Rises(1926).
(2) "Old Man at the Bridge" was not a part of that collection. It was not published until 1938 in Ken Magazine.
(3) Its inspiration was not the civil war in Greece, immediately following WW I, bt, rather the Spanish Civil War; the bridge is over the Ebro in Spain.

On the othger hand, I still believe it's an original story, rather tthan part of a novel (unless he somehow snuck it into For Whom the Bell Tolls without my noticing. Smile)
plainoldme

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:58 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I don't visit a2k on a regular basis, so I just saw this today (Sunday, 26 August 2012). I also did not see your original response to my post until just now as well.

Of course, today's students have no idea what the Spanish Civil War or that there even was a Spanish Civil WAr. What is important in offering this story is the data mining that goes on. I feel it is easier to start data mining with fiction. This fiction, set in an historical context, is a good introduction to a needed skill that should have been offered to my students in high school.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:08 am
This article from the NYT works as a nice companion piece to this thread and the article which initiated it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/magazine/14texbooks-t.html?pagewanted=all
boomerang

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:07 am
@plainoldme,
Great article, thanks for the link!

Quote:
“The philosophy of the classroom in one generation will be the philosophy of the government in the next.”

This is so true and we should all be worried.
spendius

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
@plainoldme,
I read it all pom. Quite interesting. It struck me as a sort of Never Ending Tour performed by the "Hey! Look at me. Aahm a selling ma book" brigade.

Quote:
she said that public schools are a battlefield for competing ideologies and that it’s important to combat the “religion” of secularism that holds sway in public education.

And to keep the gig going nobody asks the secularists the obvious questions they should be asked. Do they want to abolish religion? Abolishing it in schools soon leads to abolishing it altogether. And if they do, as seems to be the logic of their position, what will they replace it with from a moral point of view? Or even an entertainment point of view.

The questions are so obvious that it is equally obvious that they are not being asked on purpose.

Why, you might well ask. That's the first thing I would ask. Why? I've been asking it long enough on A2K. No answers so far.

To keep the show on the road of course. The questions stump the secularists and the secularists being stumped is the end of the gig. Like a K.O. in a boxing match.

Of course a few secularists will be brave enough to have a go but they will soon be shouted down when they say that legal sanctions will replace the sanction of feeling guilt and shame and the fear of being boiled in brimstone for eternity once dead. And entertainment will be allowed to find its natural level.

The simple fact that entertainment is not at its natural level is proof of the US being a Christian nation. There's no need for all that stuff.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:23 am
@boomerang,
You asked spendius what he is talking about. I suspect he's just talking for the sake of talking.

I've blocked several people but I read their commentary. Why the block? Well, it prevented me from seeing their pieces immediately, which I found helpful. I no longer read them. Joy!
plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:31 am
@boomerang,
Boomerang, I am worried about the government. It is so easy to fact check the republicans. Willard romney is so out of it that he once prevented ABBA from performing at an event he put together because their music was so "angry." I guess dancing is angry. My youngest son thought a brilliant protest might be having a sound truck appear at r-r rallies, blasting ABBA music at them.
spendius

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:11 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
You asked spendius what he is talking about. I suspect he's just talking for the sake of talking.

That's a cheap way of avoiding the questions I mentioned. Shut the ears to them. Hey presto--no questions and so no answers required. Joy!!

It's not a new method of copping out by any means.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:21 am
@plainoldme,
I'm worried too. To be honest, when it comes to education issues, Obama is just as bad as any of the others. Race To The Top might be even more gag inducing that No Child Left Behind.

I'll still be his Dancing Queen come election time though.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 01:40 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'm worried too. To be honest, when it comes to education issues, Obama is just as bad as any of the others. Race To The Top might be even more gag inducing that No Child Left Behind.

I'll still be his Dancing Queen come election time though.

Letting about half the states avoid no child left behind law consequences for not meeting standards rubs me the wrong way...Obama as a legal resposibility to enforce the law which he has decided to refuse, as well as a moral responsibility to di his level best to get bad law repealed which he has also avoided.

Edit: I do not intend to advocate for changing to romney as I don't have a belief that he would be a better president. My position is that our so called leaders as a whole suck.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 02:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
How the hell can he get bad laws repealed when the republicans in congress block his every move. Like CI says " there is no----".
0 Replies