Fate controls our destiny, not free will

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:47 am
Quote; I claim not to have controlled events, but confess plainly that events have controlled me. Abraham Lincoln.

http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/hodges.htm

When a man of Abraham Lincoln's stature says it, everyone should listen and learn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fate leads him who follows it, and drags him who resist.

Plutarch, Greek philosopher, 46-120 AD
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,530 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:50 am
@Rickoshay75,
I would expand that idea to include genes, environment, and fate.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:53 am
@Rickoshay75,
This is essentially meaningless without a definition of and and explanation of the operation of "fate." As for Lincoln's alleged stature, he was a successful lawyer and one of the cleverest politicians in our history. He was also a good public speaker--but in an era in which public speaking was a public activity to rival what motion pictures were to become, he was not accounted one of the greatest. There is much to admire about Lincoln. There is no reason at all to indulge in hagiography.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:51 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Nice appeal to authority. Too bad it's fallacious. Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:57 pm
@Ding an Sich,
The only "authority" are gene, environment, and fate - with some personal control.

0 Replies

imans

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:34 pm
unfortunately destiny of free wills are controlled by other more powerful free will

which reveal the necessity to recognize truth freedom being an objective fact right first before meaning to act as right wills

when one self freedom is the only reference to freedom rights then y should expect others bigger freedom to act as powerful ones by possessing ur right that u would recognize it for them by meaning urs
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:40 pm
@imans,
Quote:
unfortunately destiny of free wills are controlled by other more powerful free will

Please explain.
imans

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
it is an absolute statement so anything explain it, but i want to say smthg that im sure u never think about

willing smthg is definitely not being able to b ur will, what u can do is always smthg that u r so u cant mean objectively
while what u cant do is always smthg that u would never get that is why it is kind of free will

imagine then if that course for free wills become serious object like an existence based on that

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:

Please explain.

Careful, c.i. When this poster tries to "explain" something it just becomes more and more incomprehensible. Communications skills are not his/her strong suit.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:27 pm
To prove the statement valid about fate, one should first prove that there is no free will. Then one can claim there is something called fate, whether or not there is. Otherwise, free will cancels out this thing called fate. It's algebra.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 04:02 pm
@Foofie,
No, it doesn't. Part of fate is being born with your parent's genes (after many generations of a man and a women having a child or children), and the environment in which one is born. The chances of surviving childbirth is much improved in developed countries over third world countries where healthcare, food, water, and sanitation is lacking.

The availability of education and economic opportunities are also important aspects of fate and free will.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:42 pm
Louis Pasteur--Chance favors the prepared mind.

Rap
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 12:04 am
No person's stature is greater than anothers'. And admiring or revering them for such is merely an extension of one's own egotistic vanity.
IMO fate is 'effect' and 'destiny' is again, just another word for the same.
Free will is mine. I am accountable for my actions. Yet must oblige uk laws, which I choose to do - again - my will.
que sera...
0 Replies