Mall Dentists

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 01:02 pm
Have you seen this? The dentist office in the mall.

Is it just me, or does it creep you out to consider going to a dentist at the mall?

It seems so...so...retail.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,131 • Replies: 25

Rockhead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 01:27 pm
@Linkat,
I prefer to go to the dentist school and let the students practice on me.

it's free, and I still got most of my teef...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 01:28 pm
@Linkat,
Creepy

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:01 pm
@Rockhead,
there is something to the saying - of you get what you pay for....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:25 pm
@Rockhead,
ha ha ha
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:31 pm
@Linkat,
This is in Canada, mind you, but we have an excellent dentist that is located in our biggest mall here. We just switched to this one and have been very impressed with the level of care and professionalism.
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:38 pm
@Reyn,
Actually, in the malls here, they not only have dentists, but all kinds of other health care providers, even Laboratory Services. Anyone who can pay the rent...
Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:44 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Anyone who can pay the rent...

Yup, that's pretty much the bottom line. I think it's fine. Makes for variety from the bazillion clothing stores that are in malls now. Laughing
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:54 pm
@Reyn,
And while you're waiting, you can shop! lol
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:03 pm
@Mame,
and where I live get a tatoo to boot.

Now how about the eyebrow threading things - anyone do that?
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:04 pm
@Linkat,
Oh and for people who want to live at the mall - there are places that have condos at the mall.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
Never done it but want to - there's just nowhere near me who does it. I knew someone who had it done and she raved about it.
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:17 pm
@Mame,
do these people need to be liscenced or something - looking at some of them I am not sure I'd want them to have a needle any where near my eyes.
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:29 pm
@Linkat,
It's not a needle - it's thread. It's an ancient way of plucking your eyebrows. Google it - it's neat. And no, they don't need to be licensed.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmbHB2p4WM
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:33 am
@Mame,
ah I thought it was a needle and thread ... duh
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:54 am
@Linkat,
Seems normal to me. We've had dentists and doctors in malls in my hometown for at least 40 years (that's when I first noticed them). I don't think you can find a mall without a healthcare professional office of some sort around here. Some are on the ground floor, others in the office section of the malls.
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:59 am
@ehBeth,
Usually where I live these dentist offices tend to be in the second rate malls --- the smaller ones - which make them seem even creepier.

We have one in the town I just moved to. We were looking for a new dentist for the kids that is close. I just avoided the mall one. I think the other thing is I prefer a smaller office - just seems more personal.

I've used the larger office type before (when our insurance changed and they didn't cover 100% where they were going and found out their dentist specializing in kids was working at both offices) - any way our experience has been with the larger office that the dentists change more frequently - I didn't have any issues with them; just every year or two you had a new one.
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:00 am
@Linkat,
And I did have a friend who used to go to a mall dentist - she did love the dentist. So I am sure they are fine - just seems like a mall is for retail; dentist and medical should be in a nice clean medical building.

I have read why these changes are happening though - these "second rate" malls are losing stores so they are reaching to other businesses to fill them. I don't mean second rate in a negative sense - they are just the older smaller malls. I tend to like some of them (depending on their locations) as they don't get as crowded. Everyone likes to shop at the new gleaming impressive malls.

Heck - Macy's, Old Navy, has the same stuff no matter what mall you go to - so why go some where crowded.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:06 am
@Linkat,
Seriously, they're in every kind of mall here - from the big, fancy ones to the tiny, definitely not fancy ones.

My dentist is in a nasty little strip mall. He's been there for about 15 years. There's a tavern, two Jamaican hair joints, a convenience store and a dog grooming place in the same strip.

I'd follow him anywhere because he's a good dentist - I used to drive 4 hours back to Toronto to see him when I lived away for about 5 years.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:09 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
dentist and medical should be in a nice clean medical building.

this may be a regional thing, but here we don't find dentists in medical buildings, and they're not often in group practices.

Dentists here are generally individual practices - either in malls or in little old houses they've renovated or in their parts of their own homes. I've seen a few practices with 2 or 3 dentists, but that is quite unusual in this part of Canada.

Occasionally, you will find dental surgeons in medical buildings, but again that's not common.