Is there a name for this?

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:07 pm
I recently had an epiphany, and I came up with this:

Every person possesses an eternal essence, or soul if you prefer. The soul is the most important part of the person, and it is a life in itself. So after your inevitable death the soul continues on into the afterlife. If you happen to truly believe in heaven, the soul would then emit the illusion of heaven, or whatever you perceive as heaven. If you truly believe in reincarnation, your soul will emit the illusion of another life.

Now let us say that the person in question has no firm spiritual or religious beliefs...What becomes of them? I DON'T KNOW! I could say that they are granted another life, but what grants it to them? God? I surely doubt it. So I am less than sure on that one...

But what I wanted to know is if I just discovered an already discovered treasure, or if I am treading new waters?

Also, if you have any questions or comments on my epiphany, feel free to vocalize them in the form of a post.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 997 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:12 pm
Existence precedes essence...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:20 pm
Child of the Light: I STILL hate your avatar by the way. *grin*

What you are essentially saying is that a person's spirit follows the path that is in keeping with their beliefs. Would that be a fair assessment? So in the case of those who don't have any beliefs...their spirit would be mortal as well as their body, so it would die when they do...for those who are uncertain, perhaps they are in a spiritual limbo...a sort of purgatory perhaps.

But who is to say what happens. We cannot know for certain.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:24 pm
Of course we can't know for sure, but this idea hit me like a sack a potatoes out of nowhere. I would say that maybe the ones with no beliefs are reincarnated so that they can find one...But that bothers me, because it would take a higher power to do this, unless of course the soul is the higher power. But I have a problem with there being 6 billion higher powers. GRRR! I wish I could figure this out! Evil or Very Mad

And I love the my new avatar...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:24 pm
If you are right, your soul must have previously believed in reincarnation for you to be experiencing the illusion of this life. And it must likewise have believed before your previous life, and so on. So where did these alleged souls come from in the first place?

Whether they are reincarnated or in heaven or in limbo, what makes you think that we have eternal souls at all?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:28 pm
This little theory isn't my core belief, it is just an idea I have been kicking around. I didn't even think about this:

Quote:
If you are right, your soul must have previously believed in reincarnation for you to be experiencing the illusion of this life.

What makes me think we have souls? I don't know...
0 Replies

Adamanta

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 10:30 pm
I have read of this and many other speculations on what might occur when we die. This is what I have taken from it:

You will experience an afterlife which basically adjusts to your belief system .. some will experience it for a time and then move on to other experiences some will remain in that experience. It is linked to the strength of your beliefs. Many that have no real expectation will be given an infinite number of choices of what they will experience with the guidance of others that came before us such as our loved ones.

Quote:
Of course we can't know for sure, but this idea hit me like a sack a potatoes out of nowhere. I would say that maybe the ones with no beliefs are reincarnated so that they can find one...But that bothers me, because it would take a higher power to do this, unless of course the soul is the higher power. But I have a problem with there being 6 billion higher powers. GRRR! I wish I could figure this out!

The soul is a higher power in that all things in life and in the afterlife are part of God or "the one" or the essence of all things. Some think that we come to human physical life to "be" as when we are on the otherside and part of all that is we have no experience of "being" as we already "are" I like the sound of this and what it might represent although I don't pretend to know or even be able to wrap my mind all around it :wink: But it does give a REASON for us to actually have physical existence.

I think that if God is all that is then anything is possible and that if we are all actually connected and all essential parts that make up the whole then we can all experience every experience that we wish. If we wish to come back then we can. If we wish to go to other physical existences, we can. I like to think that there is really no limits.

Of course words like experiences and God etc are just ways that I can try to illustrate my thoughts, however inadequate those words might be, they are all we really have.

For me its the exercise of speculation and exploring these things that is the most fun. I try not to close my mind to any possibility or point of view.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 10:52 pm
My best friend in 6th grade came up with the same idea. She also uses the expression "sack of potatoes," but in reference to speedos.

I think your new icon is better too.

There is no evidence of a soul after bodily death, but it seems strange to have no conciousness when that is the basis of our (human) functioning. I believe in death after death. I'm pretty sure my minerals will be recycled into useful things and that I am made out minerals of things that used to have names. Unfortunately, if your theory were true, I wouldn't be partying with the angels or numberous willing virgins. There would just be the end, not blackness, just nothing and I wouldn't be aware of it because there would be no me. (But there would still be life after I am gone - I find that comforting.)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:10 am
What do you find comforting about that?

I think it's actually a fairly depressing thought to believe we all turn into dust after we're gone and nothing else happens.

And...
Portal Star wrote:
There is no evidence of a soul after bodily death
...that's 'cause the soul leaves the body after death! Very Happy So where would the evidence be?

I just don't buy into the idea that thoughts and emotions are the result of chemical and electrical processes of the body and nothing more.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:29 am
Whenever I start thinking about this stuff, I just remember that billions of years had gone by before I was born where I simply didn't exist.

I know its a rough concept to look to, but maybe we just blink out of existence, just as we blinked in.

(Don't get me wrong, I'd rather go to heaven to drink, party and dance with all the people I love forever, but really, any idea we have of what happens when we pass is really just an idea when it comes down to brass tacks...)
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:37 am
does this mean i have go through another life?!?

again!

i give up.......................
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:33 pm
truth
Child of the Night, be careful. Someone may decide to nail you to a cross. It's dangerous to start new religions.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:38 pm
As long as I go down in history as being perfect.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 01:11 pm
caprice wrote:
What do you find comforting about that?

I think it's actually a fairly depressing thought to believe we all turn into dust after we're gone and nothing else happens.

And...
Portal Star wrote:
There is no evidence of a soul after bodily death
...that's 'cause the soul leaves the body after death! Very Happy So where would the evidence be?

I just don't buy into the idea that thoughts and emotions are the result of chemical and electrical processes of the body and nothing more.

I find life itself comforting. I will have faith in my offspring that I have taught them how to successfully navigate the world and make it a better place. I will be permenantly retired, with other people working the job of life. I love seeing things grow - and that wouldn't happen if nothing died.

Well, there's no evidence of the soul during life either. If it leaves the body after/during death it is undetectable to us. For all we know we could have 15 souls a second, migrating through our bodies. And how could we tell if someone "lost" his soul (other than being a bad musician :wink: .)
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 01:13 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Child of the Night, be careful. Someone may decide to nail you to a cross. It's dangerous to start new religions.

A lot of "messiah's" happened before Jesus and they were martyred, crucified, beheadded, etc. One even liberated a whole country (who was even acknowledged as the messiah by several prominent Jewish leaders)! ( I forget the name) One claimed he could part a river like Moses parted the red sea (but gave up when put to the test.) Poor guys, their followers never formed a new religion that caught on.
0 Replies