10 Things Most Americans Don't Know About America

RABEL222

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:06 am
I dont know about the rest of the world but as a citizen of more than 70 years I am disgusted with our economic and political system at this time and it is the fault of the citizens who cant see beyond the end of their noses. Someone here said you get the kind of government you deserve and they are right. I just read an article about the funds that were spent to rebuild Iraq, they cant determine what 70 billion that was supposed to be spent on reconstruction was spent or who got it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:47 am
@panzade,
Some people can find fault with an intense, drawn out orgasm.

Finding fault is easy.

America has its fair share of problems...just like every other country. Many (perhaps most) Americans realize that our country has problems just like many (perhaps most) other people realize their country has problems.

This guy sounds more like the alcoholic brother than like a guy putting up with an alcoholic brother.
panzade

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:36 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'd love to talk to the author.

Was thinking the same thing
Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:37 pm
@panzade,
If you leave a message on the blog page, he seems to be responding to them.
panzade

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:38 pm
@IRFRANK,
I see the trend. Media and country music
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:40 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
If you leave a message on the blog page, he seems to be responding to them.

How cool!

I wanted to point out that the comments left on his page are interesting
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
This guy sounds more like the alcoholic brother than like a guy putting up with an alcoholic brother.

What he said.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 09:59 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I dont know about the rest of the world but as a citizen of more than 70 years I am disgusted with our economic and political system at this time and it is the fault of the citizens who cant see beyond the end of their noses. Someone here said you get the kind of government you deserve and they are right. I just read an article about the funds that were spent to rebuild Iraq, they cant determine what 70 billion that was supposed to be spent on reconstruction was spent or who got it.

It's worse when you think about how much that could do for bridges and highways. The only thing congress cares about is themselves and the big dollar companies who got them elected. I agree, the general population has no idea who they are voting for or why.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:13 pm
@panzade,
I presently have no opinion on all this, except that it was one more foof, but I'll check that page.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:13 pm
1. Few People Are Impressed By Us

I don't really care whether they are or not, but this is, by far, the number one destination of immigrants legal or otherwise, and so there must at least be something alluring about us, even if it's only that we're soft touches.

2. Few People Hate Us

"Few?" I doubt that's true. The "Top Dog" is always a target of animosity and where or not anyone finds it impressive, we remain the worlds Top Dog for now. I've no doubt that worldwide, most people don't hate us, but there are a few places on earth where most do hate us. In any case, it only takes a few to really hurt us.

3. We Know Nothing About The Rest Of The World

It seems that quite a few Americans know very little about America and so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that even more know very little about the rest of the world. Having said this, how many people in the world know a lot about the world? I doubt that ignorance is a particularly American trait.

4. We Are Poor At Expressing Gratitude And Affection

Who are good at it? The French?

5. The Quality of Life For The Average American Is Not That Great

It certainly is when compared to the majority of the rest of the world. In fact, the low end of our 99% would represent something very close to the 1% in quite a few nations.

6. The Rest Of The World Is Not A Slum-Ridden Shithole Compared To Us
Of course it isn't but there are plenty of places wherein the level of poverty is unimaginable to Americans, and, I suspect, this guy.

7. We’re Paranoid

And who isn't? The Russians? The Arabs? The North Koreans? The Chinese? The French?

8. We’re Status-Obsessed And Seek Attention

The only folks who may not be, are the ones living in the slum-ridden shitholes of the world and they wish they could be.

9. We Are Very Unhealthy

At least rickets, malaria, elephantiasis, leprosy, and dengue fever aren't ravishing our country.

10. We Mistake Comfort For Happiness

I don't know, I bet there are a billion or so people in the world who would find comfort to be a source of delirious happiness.

This fellow makes much of his experiencing life and customs through many nations of the world and then seems intent upon comparing America to Sweden...or Shangri La.

One need only visit top tourist attractions in America to come into contact with foreigners of whom their fellow countrymen would be embarrassed.

Americans differ in some relatively small ways from other people in the world but this guy seems to want to argue that not only are we not so hot as we think we are, we're pretty damned lousy. That's nonsense.

To the extent that America is exceptional it isn't because it is filled with people who are miles above their fellow humans in terms of intelligence and morality. America's exceptionalism is based on the strength and longevity of its foundation of freedom and opportunity...the aspects that so many immigrants find so alluring.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In the essential I agree with your position all along nevertheless I still think America was a far better place 40 years ago...but then its also fair to recon the entire world was...
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
Where the hell is JTT?
roger

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:18 pm
@George,
Researching war crimes in Tierra del Fuego.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 09:50 pm
@George,
Quote:
Where the hell is JTT?

Very Happy
0 Replies