do any here pray to God?

hilbert

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:02 pm
This is something I wonder about. From my childhood, I recall all prayers ending with "not my will, but Thine be done". Shouldn't your God's answer be, "then why'd you ask me?". Please comment on this

BTW, I am not a believer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 2,765 • Replies: 20
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:05 pm
@hilbert,
No, but I used to.

I think the point is that you are telling (your) god that you are humble in your request, if it is a request.
0 Replies

MrIntegrity

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:07 pm
@hilbert,
God doesn't speak english, but that doesn't mean he can't understand you. I think it really is a case of the thought being more important then the way the thought is presented. -My own opinion.
Setanta

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:12 pm
@MrIntegrity,
How do you know whether or not "god" speaks English? Just your opinion, once again?
0 Replies

Keith424

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
Do I pray to God?

Hell No.
0 Replies

tylerdvorak

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:10 pm
@hilbert,
Yeah, I'm a believer and I’ve wondered about that myself. It’s not really logical, is it? I guess that’s faith. I suppose some would say that prayer is for the benefit of those feeling the need to pray; as it is kind of a comfortable reminder that there is a bigger purpose, that it is okay to be human and realize most of your reality is beyond your control, and that there is (at the very least) hope that things are going to work out. I believe that Christ says, somewhere in the Bible, that he knows your need before you pray it. So what is the point, really? Like I said, that is faith for you.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@hilbert,
Atheist means no belief in gods, nothing else.

Some do at tough times, such as a habit from young times, some don't.
I've seen physically sick, almost dead friends who are atheists do strange things, including pray.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:28 pm
@hilbert,
The only prayer I recall as a child was:-

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray dear Lord, my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
I pray dear lord my soul to take
Please bless ******************
Amen.

All prayers end with Thine be done....

Also I heard something along the lines of Thine "will" be done...

If in need, or struggles or pain, I am known to put it out there into the Universe and believe that what I asked will happen... That's not faith, or is it, it could be belief, then is belief faith Smile

0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:31 pm
@hilbert,
Quote:
do any here pray to God?

Where's Apisa for a piece of this?

Only those that pray to god can ever hope to pray to god.

Quote:
not my will, but Thine be done

It isn't a question hilbert, it's a statement, just like mine.
0 Replies

thack45

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:38 pm
does "god ******* dammit" count as prayer? i say that a lot
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:53 pm
@MrIntegrity,
If God doesn't speak English, then why did he write the Bible in English?
Setanta

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 02:14 am
@maxdancona,
Hehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 01:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Don't you know God can't write?

God is a double amputee.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 01:51 pm
If "Learning is equal to salvation" then we must continue learning. There is no end to learning. That's pretty much what people are saying here. Keep on learning, it's nobody's job to "teach" you.
rosborne979

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:43 am
@hilbert,
There are some interesting posts on RecoveringFromReligionForum: http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3

One of them is this:
"What's the hardest part about letting go of religious beliefs?

For me, I think it was losing the default community. No matter where I went, I knew I could identify myself as SBC and be accepted, provided the lingo and clothing were on par Once I let go of that it was tough to handle being rejected by people I had cared about so much for so long, just because I didn't agree anymore. I still have a hard time understanding that.

As far as the "most challenging" to let go of, it was more the habitual prayer reflex. I had grown up taught to "pray without ceasing" and I'd find myself doing that regularly. I started forcing myself to instead ask what I can do differently to change the situation, and that really helped."

The "Habitual Prayer Reflex" was new to me. I never heard of that before.

A lot of the comments on that forum are very interesting. I never realized before how deeply the "social connection" context related to religious belief. Apparently the "hardest" part of leaving religion for most people isn't the loss of "god" but the disconnect from their social community.
hilbert

Sun 15 Jul, 2012 09:58 am
@hilbert,
I saw a chart on Facebook today that explains it all:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150941855938583&set=p.10150941855938583&type=1&ref=nf
0 Replies

Molly3

Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:39 am
@Pemerson,
God is omnipotent? We need to learn more by ourselves.
Setanta

Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:19 am
@Molly3,
Pemerson didn't say that your boy god is omnipotent.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:33 am
@hilbert,
While some assemble others dissemble, waiting, let spray.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:46 am
I pray to god this thread will die.
0 Replies