Jobless claims fall sharply

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:18 am
USA

Quote:
Jobless claims fall sharply
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 8:52am EST

The number of people filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week, offering hope that companies may be feeling better about business conditions and less inclined to hand out pink slips. The Labor Department reported Thursday that for the work week ending Feb. 14, new applications filed for jobless benefits plunged by a seasonally adjusted 24,000 to 344,000. It marked the largest decline since the beginning of November and left claims at their lowest level since the week ending Jan. 24. That was better than economists were expecting. They were forecasting claims to decrease to a level of around 351,000 for last week. Part of last week's decline reflected fewer layoffs in weather-sensitive businesses in some parts of the country that had been previously hard hit by winter's harsh weather, a Labor Department analyst said. After hitting a high last year of 459,000 in the middle of April, the number of new jobless claims since then has been drifting downward. But even as companies have reduce the speed at which they lay off workers - they havent' been in a rush to hire people back. Job growth has been painfully slow - a sore spot for President Bush. Thursday's report also showed that the number of unemployed people collecting jobless benefits for more than a week rose by 106,000 to 3.2 million for the week ending Feb. 7, the most recent period for which that information is available. This suggests that jobs are still hard to find for some workers. The report comes as recent Bush administration comments about the job climate touched a political nerve and raise questions about the White House's economic grasp. President Bush on Wednesday distanced himself from an earlier prediction by his economic advisors that that the economy would add 2.6 million new jobs this year.

Is it because the job market is improving or because there are less and less people employed. I wonder if one would calculate the number of people filing new claims for unemployment benefits in percentage what it would show. The fact remains that people in large numbers continue to lose their jobs. Regarding the unemployment percentage how much is the supposed drop is due to people running out of benefits and dropping out of the job market.
It is time for the government to level with the American people. Fat chance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 856 • Replies: 1
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:03 pm
I have been seeking 'real' work, that is, work that fully supports me since 1997. I have never applied for unemployment but I have never been eligible for unemployment, so I don't appear as a statistic.

I have also held down more than one job at a time for most of the past six years. I have yet to have a job that pays more than $12/hour, my personal glass ceiling. I have never had a full-time, permanent post although I have had full time temping jobs along side of part-time retail work or library work.

When I decided to add my child support and my net pay from last year against the mortgage, home owner's insurance, car insurance, food, the contracted cost of the phone, electricity, heat, I hit a balance but still needed to add the water bill, prescription and doctor co-pays for my son, the overage on the phone bill generated by my sons, gas. Forget clothing.

Had I not successfully waged an anti-ageism complaint against one major company, I would be further in debt than I am now.
0 Replies