Should the police have killed a suicidal bug?

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:05 pm
I have just finished reading this rather disturbing story in today's newspaper. There was a bug on the overpass out on Hwy 65. It became quite obvious that the bug was despondent over something and was making preparations to end its life by hurling himself from the bridge into the traffic below.

Several people tried to talk the but out of jumping -- a priest, an entomologist , and a former playboy bunny.

Quite a large crowd had gathered and watched as the aforementioned three pleaded with the bug. Finally, they were ordered back by some guy on a bullhorn.

"CLEAR THE AREA! CLEAR THE AREA!", his voice boomed through the bullhorn.

Everybody pulled back and stood behind the yellow tape which the police had used to cordon off the area.

And then.... silence. Nobody moved.

The bug seemed a little confused and slowly started crawling closer and closer to the edge. A woman in the crowd gasped and fainted.

But then the bug stopped. It appeared to be, from what several of the witnesses reported, that he had changed his mind and was starting to turn around when, suddenly, a laser spot appeared on its back.

A deafening roar filled the air as the police sniper's bullet struck home and the poor insect was blown to oblivion. Nothing left but a little chip in the concrete where the bullet had struck and one of the insect's legs, spinning harmlessly like a top.

My question is: Why did they choose to kill that bug? Perhaps he would have survived the fall. I don't know, sometimes it seems the police are too quick to react. This whole sordid affair sickens me.

There was an accompanying photo with the story. Apparently, someone in the crowd took the photo just milliseconds before the fateful bullet struck home.

I ask you to examine the photo and do some soul-searching.

The world has lost another bug, and, dammit, no one seems to care!

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/photos/fjp-dead/city/small/insect-cars.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,690 • Replies: 37
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:11 pm
i care gus. i can barely type..i'm shaking and shivering so badly.

What can I do to help?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:46 pm
It is times like these that touch our hearts and motivate us to help our fellow man (or bug.) It is impossible for decent folk to stand by and do nothing. Someone should start a foundation and ask for donations for the bug's family and loved ones.

Hell, I'll do it.

So everyone, PM me, and I'll give you the directions for depositing your donation today. Together we can make some good come from this senseless act of violence.

[size=7](aside) "Honey, how much was that plasma TV?"[/size]
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:53 pm
shoulda just stepped on it, wasting good ammunition. another example of government waste.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:04 am
A bug's life is short.

Try as I might, I can't find it in me to commiserate gus. If I were there, a resounding stomp would have been heard. It would have echoed throughout the land. I may be cold, unfeeling - call me cruel, call me callous. I don't have good feelings for bugs.
Now that you truly no my true nature, will this change the way you feel about me? I hope not, but I understand, a man of your character has high standards.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:22 am
Better the bug than me.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 03:29 am
Hey, Gus - do you know what the last thing was that went thru that bug's mind?

It's arsehole!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 05:08 am
it was hit by a bullet - not a car!

the last thing to go through its arsehole might have been its mind...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 05:29 am
I suppose it won't be an open casket. Poor bug. My heart goes out to its family.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:15 am
I wonder how many millions of kids that poor little roach had?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:27 am
Exactly, Turner. And who will care for them now?
Send me your donations.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:19 am
::sniffle:::
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
Serves the damn bug right. That bug is responsible for the death of half my family.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:39 pm
Who's responsible for the other half?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:42 pm
The SWAT team that tried to kill it the first time...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:47 pm
We need to petition the government to set aside some money for a memorial. I think that black marble would be lovely. Think of it, right in the middle of the highwy, where that bug's life was snuffed out by the uncaring, unfeeling bureaucracy!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 05:16 pm
Sorry, I thought it jumped!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:17 pm
Bugs have wings....

So, Craven - your family were bugged and swatted to death - has a certain karmic symmetry to it, doesn't it?
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:35 pm
You know Gus, I've studied your photo and something just didn't feel right. Guessing that someone might have doctored the pic, with less than honorable intentions in mind, I did a little research.
Know what I discovered? It's not Hwy 65 at all, is it Gus? It's the damn Garden State Freeway! And that's no ordinary bug is it Gus? Hell no, it's just a stag beetle in a euchistus ictericus suit. What's up here Gus? You and Eva running some little scam?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:01 pm
Gus, that bug is just a stink bug. Whaddaya wanna bet the woman in the crowd who gasped and fainted was overcome by the smell?

Have you checked to see if there was any major robbery nearby while the bug was stinking and splattering all over the place? Don't you realize the whole thing was a ruse to distract the cops so the real crooks could rob a bank?

Could Gus and Eva be in on this--partners in crime???? Hmmm.....
0 Replies