OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 09:51 am
@JTT,
That is a non-answer, but it matters not at all, to me.

Pleasing a crazy man does not stand high on my agenda.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 10:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That is only a non answer to someone who is as thick as you are, Dave, which is awfully damn thick.

All the information is there, more than a lazy ****, [by your own admission], like you would deign to read. Note that you haven't offered anything that discusses the actual language issue. Note that this is your standard fare.

Even someone as thick as you would realize just how thick you are.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 10:16 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
JTT wrote:

This is another of those silly Strunk & White type rules. No one, here at A2K, made note of this "rule" until you pointed it out.

Quote:
I pity them for their ignorance.

Given your lame contention about apostrophe s, I'm sure that the feeling is mutual, Joe.

Quote:
JTT wrote:

It's completely convincing because, as the linguist, Dwight Bolinger said, paraphrased, Usage in the broad sense is the only determiner of correctness. To think differently would have to mean that the rules somehow preceded language.

Quote:
And that's just an argumentum ad verecundiam. Who says Bolinger is right?

Of course Bolinger is right, Joe. How silly of you to think that "rules" preceded language.

Quote:
JTT wrote:

You proved him correct in a previous post in this thread where you stated,

"Also, "toward" is preferred over "towards" in American writing".

Quote:
I did no such thing. I have no idea if that's what the majority believes. I rather think it isn't. But then I don't really care.

Another illustration that you probably shouldn't be attempting to describe the workings of language.
spendius

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 10:17 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Even someone as thick as you would realize just how thick you are.

I think that's a clumsy sentence JT.

"You're so thick you can't even see how thick you actually are when if it isn't staring you in the face it is biting your arse" is better I think.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 10:36 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I think that's a clumsy sentence JT.

Maybe you just didn't understand it, Spendius. Smile

Thanks for the suggested alternative.
spendius

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 10:40 am
@JTT,
Well--I didn't think it reasonable to expect David to realise how thick he is. It would imply he wasn't as thick as pig **** if he could achieve the feat.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 11:21 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Of course Bolinger is right, Joe. How silly of you to think that "rules" preceded language.

Ah yes, the "of course he's right, don't be silly" argument. It's so convincing, I'm surprised more people don't employ it.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 11:49 am
@joefromchicago,
Imagine that, Joe avoiding the central issue to focus on a tangent.

Joooooooe, language long preceded the "rules". As regards the type of "rules" you have tried to advance, language has always operated just fine despite these bits of nonsense.

But really, Joe, you can't remember where you came across this exceedingly important rule. It must have been somewhat widespread as even Eva has heard of it.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 11:50 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Well--I didn't think it reasonable to expect David to realise how thick he is.

That's very true, Spendi.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 12:03 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Imagine that, Joe avoiding the central issue to focus on a tangent.

Quoth the monarch of tangents.

JTT wrote:
Joooooooe, language long preceded the "rules".

When did I say otherwise?
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 12:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
More of Joe's games. Suffice it to say that the silliness you advanced about language has been shown as nonsense.

But I'm puzzled, Joe. What ever possessed you to advance such a spurious notion? I've not noticed these OmSig moments from you before.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 12:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
And so it is with a sentence like "she's been to London." It's not grammatically correct,

You've been advancing this position with all manner of subterfuge, Joe, never actually addressing the issue. Now just show us how it is not grammatically correct.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 03:26 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
What ever possessed you to advance such a spurious notion?

Sorry, we need to address questions sequentially, and I have a couple of questions still outstanding. You'll get an answer to your questions when you've answered mine.
Below viewing threshold (view)
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 03:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Sorry, we need to address questions sequentially,

We can certainly deal with those peripheral issues after YOU deal with the central issue that YOU raised, Joe.

You advance a position, a ludicrous one I might add, but nevertheless, and you don't describe, despite requests made, how it is ungrammatical.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 03:59 pm
@contrex,
I appreciate your honesty, Contrex. It's a fairly rare thing here at A2K. Those in the clique don't stand up for honesty and truth, they stand up for the clique.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:09 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
It has struck me Frank that another reason is that when I first came on A2K there was a clique centred in New York the members of which fancied themselves as intellectuals. They had face to face meetings and encouraged similar meetings with others further afield.

We were exposed to photographs of them from time to time. Lola's salon is how I saw it. It is now dispersed

Direct social contact tends to be much more polite than contact between strangers in the interests of preserving group unity. Certain topics are avoided.

Excellent point, Spendius. You are correct…the direct social contact does seem to temper some of the negative aspects of the discussion digressions. And perhaps some of the camaraderie of the New York meets was perceived as cliquishness by some who could not be there. But I assure you it truly wasn't.

In any case, I wonder why we cannot all just get along…why we cannot discuss issues no matter how contentious without all the “you are stupid/you are even stupider” nonsense that seems to go on in so many threads.

We are all people interacting with other people--people it appears with fairly common interests. The body is small…fewer than 30 people on a regular basis (with outsiders coming in from time to time to ask questions about how to screw a sister or mother).

Is it truly unreasonable to ask that we treat each other with a modicum of courtesy and respect? Can we not aspire to that minimum goal?

You and I have bumped heads dozens upon dozens of times, Spendius…but spending a few hours in an English pub sopping up some suds--trading stories and a few light moments with you would be something I would treasure. I would absolutely treasure it! Any anger…any lashing out between us is an absurdity…an insult to the supposed intelligence of our species.

For the record, I was one of the people who met frequently in New York with several others. The very last thing any of us ever thought of ourselves as...was being intellectuals. That consideration never came up in conversations at our meets…nor in any discussion or sharings of our meets that I can remember. No inkling of it...not a thought in that direction. We were people who met because of accidental propinquity (I love that word!). We had a few beers, laughed, talked with respect about others not there—often wishing sincerely that the others could join us. We would have loved it.

Just sayin’!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Interesting envy. What is that boat you folks meet on, The Flat Iron? The Fat Tub? Frog Hollow? I've wanted to be there with all of you. I think he is afraid it is more interesting than his pub.

Some of you are damned bright, including our misogyne Spendius, but hey, you're a2kers.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 07:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
In any case, I wonder why we cannot all just get along…why we cannot discuss issues no matter how contentious

Read my first three posts after yours and Roberta's, Frank. I was frank and honest, not contentious. I stated that the rule was dumb, not that you and/or Roberta were dumb.

I'm still puzzled why you think it's alright to malign others use of language when it's you who is wrong. I'm puzzled why Roberta is so concerned about being called a liar, when she wasn't, but she isn't concerned that she corrected Joe England when he was the one who was right, when he was using English in a perfectly natural manner.

I'm puzzled that you wonder why it gets contentious when all you offer for your mistaken analysis about language is making silly comments about WWIII. There was no WWIII. It was a discussion, but you took great umbrage when you were shown that you were wrong.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 09:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
It has struck me Frank that another reason is that when I first came on A2K there was a clique centred in New York the members of which fancied themselves as intellectuals. They had face to face meetings and encouraged similar meetings with others further afield.

We were exposed to photographs of them from time to time. Lola's salon is how I saw it. It is now dispersed

Direct social contact tends to be much more polite than contact between strangers in the interests of preserving group unity. Certain topics are avoided.
Frank Apisa wrote:

Excellent point, Spendius. You are correct…the direct social contact does seem to temper some of the negative aspects of the discussion digressions. And perhaps some of the camaraderie of the New York meets was perceived as cliquishness by some who could not be there. But I assure you it truly wasn't.

In any case, I wonder why we cannot all just get along…why we cannot discuss issues no matter how contentious without all the “you are stupid/you are even stupider” nonsense that seems to go on in so many threads.
A few hours ago, I put Spendius on Ignore,
because of his filthy, obscene language in combination with his
ofen incomprehensible English syntax. Its E Z to understand
The Queen of England, or Izzythepush, or Prince Charles, or Winston Churchill,
but it is too much un-rewarded, labor-intensive tedium to try to de-code what Spendius posts.
I hope that Spendius will win a BIGGER financial prize in some English Lottery than anyone has,
harvesting millions of pounds, tons, of English silver, and live out his life in great good health, with abundant alcohol,
but I don't wanna have to figure out some of his posts.

Frank Apisa wrote:

We are all people interacting with other people--people it appears with fairly common interests.
The body is small…fewer than 30 people on a regular basis (with outsiders coming in from time to time
to ask questions about how to screw a sister or mother).

Is it truly unreasonable to ask that we treat each other with a modicum of courtesy and respect?
Can we not aspire to that minimum goal?
I agree with your sentiments.

Frank Apisa wrote:

You and I have bumped heads dozens upon dozens of times, Spendius…but spending a few hours in an English pub sopping up some suds--trading stories and a few light moments with you would be something I would treasure. I would absolutely treasure it! Any anger…any lashing out between us is an absurdity…an insult to the supposed intelligence of our species.

For the record, I was one of the people who met frequently in New York with several others. The very last thing any of us ever thought of ourselves as...was being intellectuals. That consideration never came up in conversations at our meets…nor in any discussion or sharings of our meets that I can remember. No inkling of it...not a thought in that direction. We were people who met because of accidental propinquity (I love that word!). We had a few beers, laughed, talked with respect about others not there—often wishing sincerely that the others could join us. We would have loved it.
How r u defining "intellectuals"??
Thay r bad ?

Frank Apisa wrote:
Just sayin’!
What does that frase mean ?

David