Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:03 am
@spendius,
Quote:
As it is obviously a fragment I cannot see why you took the trouble to point it out unless you meant something else. It is the something else I don't understand.

I think this feat on the golf course has caused a certain lightness in your noggin.

I thought we both realized this conversation was a bit of banter...busting each other's balls.

Sorry. I'll get serious again.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:04 am
@izzythepush,
Good ACE, Izzy.

Congratulations.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:05 am
@JTT,
Code:Why don't you have a problem with singular 'you' using a plural verb?

Why do you think I should?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:05 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Prove that it is a fragment, Frank.

No.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you Frank.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
For whatever it may be worth:
I gave up on him; too much of a strain on the brain
to bother decoding & disentangling that stuff (that and his obscenity).
In my opinion, from years of tedious observation, its just not worth it.

Which is a justification for avoiding any difficult reading material.

In response to your question, I cannot begin to guess its meaning.
Quote:

Hence the inability to read what was a simple sentence which I don't think could have been said much better. And an inabilty to understand the Constitution as a whole rather than one clause at once.

Here it is again with a correction for the typo--

Quote:
Attacking the side I see something worthwhile in as a snowstorm to disguise not offering an alternative is never going to persuade me.

If somebody attacks religion simply by referring to all the nasty things they believe religion is responsible for and fail to offer an irreligious way forward as an alternative then I don't think it is just me they should have difficulty persuading.

And the site is styled Ask an Expert and Able 2 Know. What is David doing on a site like that with such a childish attitude.

He doesn't want to strain his brain. Aaaaaahh!!!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Comparing scores on such courses to the scores the professionals return is as daft as comparing galaxies to superstitions.

You are correct...and I was wondering why you did it.

Thanks for agreeing that comparing galaxies to superstitions is daft. I did it to see where I actually stood as a golfer.

The pars of the first five holes at one of the clubs I was a member of were 4,4,4, 3 and 5. Nicklaus would have taken off the tee at these holes a 4 iron, a 3 iron, another 3 iron, a 7 iron and a driver and wedge. On a good putting day returning a 3 3 2 2 and 4. 6 under par. After 5 holes.

It reduced the size of my head to normal proportions and showed me that golf equipment suppliers had an ego flattery racket on the go. So it saved me a fair bit of money.

The best exercise is military PT. No equipment. Produce mild panting. Daily. 15 minutes. Free.

As for concentration one might study more and more difficult sentences. Starting with easy ones like mine. Work up to Proust, Veblen and Talcott Parsons gradually.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Sorry. I'll get serious again.

Don't do that Frank. I'm corrosive when I get serious.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The game is a bit of exercise...and a challenge to concentration. I need both!

It's amazing how many Americans use words as badges of honour. Hearing that at a pub bar one might get the impression that Frank is improving his fitness and concentration and is thus someone to admire. In fact it means nothing significant.

Watch the Tour de France if you want to know about fitness and a Test Match batsman score 250 for a guide to concentration.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:27 am
@spendius,
I watched the US Open at the Olympic Club in SF. I reckon you would have taken 200 round that beast Frank.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:17 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:
The game is a bit of exercise...and a challenge to concentration. I need both!

It's amazing how many Americans use words as badges of honour. Hearing that at a pub bar one might get the impression that Frank is improving his fitness and concentration and is thus someone to admire. In fact it means nothing significant.

It's amazing how many Brits go to pubs.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:28 am
@Ticomaya,
...but do they go home..is the question?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:13 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
It's amazing how many Brits go to pubs.

It's a smaller number that it was 30 years ago. And as pubs are the last bastion of freedom I can only assume that freedom is on the skids. Whether continually banging on about freedom is a proper alternative to freedom itself is one for the psychologists.

I think that in those days the wives used to make their husbands go to the pub to get them out of their sight for a spell but now men are such docile, harmless little dears they obviously can't get enough of them.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Of course you would say 'no', Frank, because you don't know your ass from a bomb crater when it comes to language. You just memorize silly little rules and even those you can't keep straight.
Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:41 pm
@JTT,
Now's not a good time to mention spendius' 'acquiver' or your 'permissable' but I'm delighted to carpe diem when both are able to be permissed without so much as a second-person singular present active imperative of a Latin verb.

Dare I suggest 'miniscule' prescriptivist changes are afoot in all language development.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Shot my best round of the year this morning, Spendius. A 78...and a very nice 78.
Hope you are happy for me.
izzythepush wrote:

You think that's good. On Sunday I had a round of golf at the Hat Fair.
I hit the ball into something that looked like a pinball machine
and got a hole in one! Now to put that into context, the seven-year old boy
in front of us took about twenty shots then gave up.

Although his nine year old brother did do a lot better,
I don't know exactly, he'd already finished his go by the time we got there.
Here r some young people taking shots:
See what u think of 13-Year-Old Trick Shooter Dylan Holsey;
tho I 've not had the honor of meeting him, at the Annual Gathering
a few days ago, my friend Duke said that he knows Mr. Holsey from Winter Range.
He began his gunnery practice at age 5, Izzy. ( He beat me by 3 years. )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=u-PpxyW350A
Tho his revolvers were (egregiously) not identified,
thay look a lot like my .45 caliber Ruger Vaquero.
He got off 1O rounds in less than 3 seconds,
and u can hear that he hit the metal target every time!

Here 's Miko Andres aged 6, at his practical shooting drills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_m1mesIo4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9mpScsijso&feature=related

Here's 13 year old Josh Goede:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH-G3XiYjLM&feature=related

David

P.S.:
I 'm happy for u, Frank. Good shooting!

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 02:24 am
@JTT,

Quote:
Of course you would say 'no', Frank, because you don't know your ass from a bomb crater when it comes to language. You just memorize silly little rules and even those you can't keep straight.

Hi JTT.

Having a bad morning?

You've got to work on your self-esteem, ole gal. It will help you feel better about yourself without having to tear into other people or disparaging them.

You can do it...and I am sure many here are rooting for you to succeed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 02:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Interesting stuff, David.

As I've mentioned to you in the past, I had to qualify with many different weapons during my service days...but I am not a gun enthusiast. I have a friend from Pennsylvania (who has a survivalist television program) who gets me to do some shooting from time to time--and I enjoy it.

But I am a major-league clod, and if I owned a gun, I am sure I would use it to shoot myself in the foot at some point, so I stay away from them.

Good to see young people able to handle weapons as handily as these kids.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 03:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Interesting stuff, David.

As I've mentioned to you in the past, I had to qualify with many different weapons during my service days...but I am not a gun enthusiast. I have a friend from Pennsylvania (who has a survivalist television program) who gets me to do some shooting from time to time--and I enjoy it.

But I am a major-league clod, and if I owned a gun, I am sure I would use it to shoot myself in the foot at some point,
so I stay away from them.

Good to see young people able to handle weapons as handily as these kids.
Yes; I think their proficiency is kind of inspirational.
If I had a son, I 'd feel morally impelled to invite him
to learn proficient handling of defensive firearms with optimal accuracy.
That applies with equal force to a daughter. I 'd wish that she remain intact,
not to go the way of Kitty Genovese or Polly Klaas.

If u identify that TV program, I 'll be on the alert to watch it.

David
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 04:24 am
@Miss L Toad,
If the "now" was not a good time why choose it Toady? Do you usually do things when it is not a good time to do them? On purpose. That's an "awkward squad" predilection. Best to avoid vicarage receptions I should have thought.

I always use italics for foreign phrases.

If you wish to offer daring suggestions perhaps something more exciting than " 'miniscule' prescriptivist changes" would increase your popularity.

What are " 'miniscule' prescriptivist changes? Doesn't "prescriptivist" mean no changes. I wouldn't use inverted commas where you have and I would use "minuscule" rather than "miniscule". I would also place a comma between two adjectives qualifying one noun.

I have forgotten what it was at the time but I left "acquiver" for some daft reason I had in mind. It was something to do with nervous apprehension effecting sphincteroonie control. I think. "Atwitter" was in my mind.

Have you read Finnegans Wake? Matthew Arnold had an essay concerning the French Academy setting the language in stone and why there was no English equivalent.

Now is not the time to ask you a question I have in mind so I will forbear doing so.