Financial Aid

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:13 pm
I know of some good financial aid explanation sites out there but I'm hoping that someone in the know can give me a quick rundown.

I qualify as "piss poor" so I think I'd qualify for aid, but I'm not sure if this is based on my parents or on me.

If it's based on my earnings I should qualify but my deadbeat parents never filed taxes in their lives I bet, either way they I won't be able to proove my parent's earnings at all.

I'm wondering if that'd hurt me.

I'm also wondering about other ways to finance an education. I'm not sure how much of the tuition I can get covered, whether anything is based on testing scores, how soon loans would have to be paid off, if grants are really loans in disguise, if 23-24 is too old to get aid.......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,932 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:28 pm
You are legally an adult and your parents are no longer responsible for any of your bills, including tution.

Check the portal for the college financial aid sites. You'll probably wind up with a combination of scholarships, grants and loans.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:35 pm
Cool, any idea on age limits? I'll be 24 this year. I hope they don't consider that a lost cause.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
Craven--

I have a 40 year old son who is still ambling towards a BA (Computer Science) on a combination of grants, scholarships and student jobs.

The "traditional" Four Years to the Degree student is now in a minority on most campuses.

You'll fit right in with the rest of the exceptions.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:35 pm
I'm sure you've already come across it (it Googles well), but http://www.finaid.org/ is a good site.

Your age shouldn't be a problem. Over a certain age (23 sticks in my head, but there is a lot of bad information floating around in there) the feds won't try to get proof that you're not somebody else's dependent. I'm pretty sure that below whatever this threshhold age I can't currently remember proof of financial independence is required.

What are you looking for financial aid for? Two-year? Four-year? Technical program?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:53 pm
Craven- There are all sorts of financial aid out there. Some are based on test scores, and some are based on parameters that run the gamut. As Noddy said, often you can get a package of aid, grants, and jobs.

As I remember, (It's been awhile) parent's income is not counted after age 24. I don't think that you would have a problem in your case, if you were a little shy in age.

http://fastweb.monster.com/ib/yahoo-63f

http://www.college-scholarships.com/

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

http://www.collegeboard.com/pay
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:54 pm
Thanks all.

patiodog, I want to try for a 4 year. Not sure what yet (that'll be a question I ask tonight from home).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:57 pm
Working on my kids stuff now - pain in the rear!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:57 pm
CDK how long have you been in the US? You been paying taxes here right?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:00 pm
Ah, so. For now, I'd suggest you focus on applying, then worry about the financial aid. Whoever lets you in will have a wealth of resources for you.

That's a process I've been through a few times.

Also, if money -- or being able to go only part time -- is really an issue, going to a two-year school and then transferring to a four-year is a fairly standard practice on the west coast and especially in California. And depending on what you're taking and what your needs as a student are, you can sometimes get more out of an introductory-level course at a 2-year because of the smaller class sizes and the fact that the instructors are only there to teach.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:04 pm
I have to say - I'm having a hard time navigating the FAS site - got my PIN number now the the frick!! cannot figure out where to use the sucker.

It was a lot easier when I got a full ride, sign the paper and show up for practice.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:12 pm
Ah, make the kid do it. Builds character. (I never did understand why my character needed building and my parents' didn't, but there you go.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:41 pm
Craven- Have you decided on a course of study? Certain professional groups offer scholarships for people entering their field.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:20 pm
It is hard for me to visualize craven have any difficulty in any class except possible frustration with teachers' erudition. You might sail through undergrad if you can maintain patience, Craven. So - you might not need 4 years for it.
0 Replies