JOBS; UNEMPLOYMENT; PRODUCTIVITY…what is the real problem?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 02:43 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
In my engineering class I've programmed robots, and it's very hard to execute an action.

It'll take some time before robots are going to take over all of the menial jobs (Amazon has automated it's warehouse and Lexus is replacing car painters with automtaed robotic painters with greater effeciency and more precision in it's layer deposits).

Unfortunately, Venom, the trouble doesn’t come when the robots (and computers) take over ALL the menial jobs…just when they start taking over a significant number of ‘em.

I respectfully suggest they already are doing that.

EXAMPLE: There was a day in my earlier life when every major corporation had a huge department stocked with decently paid workers, called “The steno pool.”

I doubt there is even one steno pool left in America. Filing jobs, secretarial jobs, steno jobs…and many of the more mundane clerical jobs are now “menial” jobs…and nobody is paying anybody to do them. Computers do them better, faster, and much, much, much cheaper than humans.

Quote:
It's hard to tell when all this will come, but with Moore's law, it's pretty much within our reach.

If robots take people's menial jobs, I guess people will migrate to job positions where there is less supply and more demand in the field. This requires getting an education, higher or equivalent to a bachelors degree I suppose.

Good luck with that idea! I just do not think it is going to happen. I think the day of a person of limited abilities (which includes a huge segment of our population) is able to earn his/her living is finished. It ain’t coming back.

Thanks for posting, Venom. Please continue to do so if you have other thoughts…or if you disagree with me or anyone else posting here.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:45 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
More thought is always a good idea. You might want to browse a macroeconomics textbook while you're doing it. J. Bradford deLong, a Berkeley economist, has a draft of his very readable textbook webbed here:

http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/Teaching_Folder/Econ_101b_f2001/Econ_101b_f2001.html
deLong also has a blog, which is what I found when I wanted to see if he had any thoughts on the president's claim that "unemployment is structural" -- comments he made in an interview with the Today Show that are in line with Frank's thoughts on unemployment being attributable to technological change.

He didn't comment directly, but reposted a rebuttal by Matthew Yglesias which basically points out that, although job losses are created in the short term, it's also the source of progress over the long term.

Brad also reviewed a book I'm currently reading (Ron Suskind's Confidence Men) and he may have touched on this subject a bit in that, as well.
0 Replies