Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:13 pm
I have a slight problemÂ…I studied the Torah, then I studied the Bible, and I like both quite well. I love the ideas that they have such as "Treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated" (I'm paraphrasing), but I completely ignore the religious part of it. Being raised Jewish, I have a bit of a problem over this.

I like the ideas, ignore the references to god and jesus, like the stories, and think that we should at least try to incorporate some of these ideas into our daily life. What am I? Am I atheist, agnostic, a very confused religious person?

Please helpÂ…
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 730 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:27 pm
You seem like a person in contact with your spirituality. This does not require belief in the existence of a supreme being. (Krishnamurti was one writer who explored this area).
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:29 pm
Thank you for giving me someone to look into...nice reading material.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:43 pm
In case you havn't found it yet here's a seminal quotation of his:

"Man cannot come to [truth] through any organisation, through any creed, through any dogma, priest or ritual, nor through any philosophical knowledge or psychological technique. He has to find it through the mirror of relationship, through the understanding of the contents of his own mind, through observation and not through intellectual analysis or introspective dissection..."

"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organisation be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path."
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:45 pm
Thank you
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:46 pm
Re: What am I?
Individual wrote:
What am I?
Hmmm, you are a sheep... but some how not a sheep... A sheep who's no sheep... that's it!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:50 pm
Wow, that's deeeeep!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:51 pm
This just dawned on me: do I really need a label?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 09:57 am
Individual: You're welcome to join my cargo cult. We don't put our faith in gods or books or holy writ: we just really like stuff.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 01:28 pm
You are a cellular life form, which has been harvested and woven into flat sheets then stuffed with either a similar plant cell -based mass or a petrolium fibre based mass. These masses were sewn together using a thin pointed aluminum rod with a hole in it, encasing more woven plant fibre.

Your body was carefully pushed and designed until it represented a symbol in a human's (a larger, thumb-weilding cellular organism) mind for a sheep.

This sheep-doll was photographed through a glass lens by a contraption called a camera in a dim light and it's image (on plastic) was projected onto paper coated in light-sensitive material which was gently processed in a variety of chemical baths until the image was fixed and could move safely from darkness to light.

Following this, another human took this photographed stitched cell sheep symbol and placed it on a scanner, turning the physical image into a representational code divided by many 1's and 0's making dots corresponding to light and color.

This code sat on a code-storing machine until it was uploaded into a website on the internet (don't ask) known as able2know.com and

you exist as we know you today.
0 Replies