Atheism spreads religious awareness and biases our thinking...

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:13 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I know Fil. The idea would be preposterous.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:26 pm
@spendius,
...meaning that I was expecting a counter reasonable argument from you, at least your conception on why you believe a God is compelling...
spendius

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:46 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't believe God is compelling. It is the grossest form of lese majesty to believe such a thing from this smidgin of earth I am stuck on within the scintilla of time I'm around.

I believe a general belief in God is compelling but I am quite prepared to listen to those who think we can do without that general belief. They are conspicuously silent on how they propose we should do that.

If I lived in an atheist society that was going great, I had bribed myself a key to the side door of the ladies' (25-40, 44-48, 126-154, F to K) barracks, say, and a Messiah appeared, I would have something to say to him he might not like.

Science is suck it and see. The RC Church sucked it and saw for two millenia. Who are these upstarts who want to start over. Do they know where the Church started from.

Nah--they hope to start from where the Church left off. To climb on its shoulders. Fat chance of that. It's like the little rich girl blowing the family fortune unaware that the money was made from explosive devices.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 02:24 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I believe a general belief in God is compelling but I am quite prepared to listen to those who think we can do without that general belief. They are conspicuously silent on how they propose we should do that.

To my view it seams evident that the solely reason why the belief in God was and has been compelling to most people had nothing to do with a desire on metaphysical Knowledge or any sort of abstract enlightenment, but rather they used to see in God the point of mutual reference, the unitary focus of a community to which they belong and on which their common identity was reassured and reenforced through ritual...the uncertainty of human condition and suffering were the main theme of a pre industrial society without middle class and technological control over disease and famine...that in itself justify s the typology of moral on which the success of the Abrahamic religions was build, and how it endured so long, the problem is nowadays, they have to compete with the mega centres of consumerism and all the diversity they offer once the rituals of group belonging have exploded in overwhelming diversity...from fitness fanatics to shopping spree dolls to hight tech geeks there is ritualistic group entertainment for everyone...while God well...these days God is left for funerals...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 02:36 pm
We ask for God when things go wrong...we ask for more when things go right !... Mr. Green
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 02:40 pm
@spendius,
God will be dead and forgotten when we have a Global Government, a Global economic agreement and taxation and when Death is overcome...that will be the end of it up till the IQ goes 20 points up in average...then it may come back but not as the Abraamic old God you and I knew...something far more sophisticated will emerge...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:08 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
As Spengler predicts. The final battle is money versus the blood.

There is no real diversity in consumerism. Or in ritual entertainment. Both are based on competition whereas religious ritual is not. Neither have a transcendent dimension.

Atheism does spread religious awareness because it opens the debate to the arguments against atheism and for religion which those promoting atheism have previously granted themselves the luxury of ignoring in their own small circles.

They put atheism in the spotlight. Very well--let's have a good look at it.

Watch them shoot off the stage then.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:56 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
There is no real diversity in consumerism. Or in ritual entertainment. Both are based on competition whereas religious ritual is not. Neither have a transcendent dimension.

...it does not need to be real diversity to get the mob alienated anyway, and if it wasn't for the 2 law of thermodynamics screwing up our lives twice better every time we solve a problem I would bet my ass God would be forgotten altogether...people remember God when they need a miracle because life is bumpy...they remember a source of power, that might or might not be there, but barely do they have any conception on what it might be or represent in their life's...no wonder a patter personnel God is so successful...they don't address God they address power and power can come in many forms...
spendius

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 04:59 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I can't say I understand what you are getting at there Fil

I think a "some" belongs before the word "people". I don't think those needing a miracle exhausts the range of those who remember God.

What is "the mob" and what is it alienated from?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:43 pm
@spendius,
Have you forgotten how the "Roman circus" alienates peoples awareness ?
...oh you did understood it all right...but I leave you be...
...although you said you have compelling reasons for believing in God you didn't present one either, and now you fail to see the obvious, any reader could get back there what I was at...but again you are not interested in debating the issue from a neutral point of view...yeah I guess I better leave you be...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:55 pm
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 03:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
ad hominem insults whenever anyone shows the ridicule of your reasoning its the only weapon a Neanderthal like you can find

You have yet to show the ridicule of anything but yourself. Even your insults are unintelligent. Got any more? Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 03:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...although you said you have compelling reasons for believing in God you didn't present one either

This is what I said Fil--

Quote:
I don't believe God is compelling. It is the grossest form of lese majesty to believe such a thing from this smidgin of earth I am stuck on within the scintilla of time I'm around.

I believe a general belief in God is compelling but I am quite prepared to listen to those who think we can do without that general belief.

That's pretty neutral.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 08:22 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I believe a general belief in God is compelling but I am quite prepared to listen to those who think we can do without that general belief.

...lets frame it another way then...tired of misunderstandings here...

Why you believe a general belief in God is compelling ? Your reasons ?
spendius

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:21 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Because it has worked so well. I accept that some are disgruntled about it but it seems to me that they would be disgruntled about anything.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:32 am
@spendius,
...the problem of semantics, and all its bloody entanglement...why can't the world be "God" in turn, and perfect still ? Why do you need 2 instead of 1 ? That is a damned valid question !!!
spendius

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
It can only be human nature. The answer is blowin' in the wind.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 11:56 am
@spendius,
...yes...always from the "I" to the "other", always from the "I" to the "world", always from the "I" to "God"...but you know what ?...
The "other" the "world" and "God" are all the same...
...having a mind, imply s enquiry and thus incompleteness...my"god" is not like yours..."god" does not have a mind rather he is the reason of minds...
spendius

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 01:53 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Just as some people say that all Darwin did was replace the word "God" with the word "evolution". Both being beliefs. Obviously.

Evolution is self-evidently a belief posited on the belief that there is no God. Which is for the sophists to consider. Both sides are shot to pieces if the other side's belief is the correct one.

The scientist is concerned with which of these competing beliefs is the one to go with to produce the feminine form, the international single currency, looking a bit more ship-shape than what Darwin found, without the aid of fossils, in Tierro del Fuego and other exotic lands where The Beagle put in.

Whether he would consider the possibility that it might be possible to go too far and render the female form so ship-shape that it is impossible to make any further headway, I don't know. A proper scientist would.