Atheism spreads religious awareness and biases our thinking...

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
atheism is about not having any good reason to believe rather then believing that God does not exist

No it is not. Read the definitions!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:22 am
@rosborne979,
I can only say the same to you. Read the definitions supplied by Thomas. They support my understanding of the term.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:27 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Keep in mind that in Cyracuz' bizarre little world here, your theology of agnosticism is also equivalent to theism.

Actually... no. There is a big difference between believing that gods don't exist and asserting that it cannot be known either way. When it comes to this issue I am perhaps an agnostic. I understand that this is unknowable, and I have also found that forming a belief about gods either existing or not means practically nothing to me. So I just disregard the whole concept when I try to make sense of the world.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:31 am
@Cyracuz,
Yeah, i'm not surprised to find you in Frank's "agnostics are superior" camp. You are willing to disregard the whole concept, but unwilling to accept that there are atheists who disregard the whole concept. How convenient for you.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Atheism is not a religion…but it most assuredly is a belief.

Agreed. I think perhaps many who call themselves atheist because they are without any beliefs concerning gods, are calling themselves the wrong thing. If they have no beliefs concerning gods, they are neither theists nor atheists.
Dictionaries support this take on it, but people are just too sloppy in their use of language to care, I guess...

Thanks for supporting words. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:34 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
Why create a conceptual awareness that you will relate to negatively in the first place, rather than create a conceptual awareness that you can relate to and believe in.

Here ya go, Cyracuz--square that with your "don't know" stance. How very negatively you relate to theism. Certainly you're not creating a "conceptual awareness" (love those fancy phrases, don't ya?) that you can relate to and believe in.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:34 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You are willing to disregard the whole concept, but unwilling to accept that there are atheists who disregard the whole concept.

Don't be dense Set. If they disregard the whole concept they are not atheists. I am perfectly aware that there are many people who just disregard the whole concept of gods. You seem unwilling to accept that to label these people as atheist is an erroneous use of the word.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:36 am
@Cyracuz,
Only in your convenient, quesstion-begging definition. You're the one who's being dense, and willfully so.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:40 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Here ya go, Cyracuz--square that with your "don't know" stance.

I don't see the problem. Theism doesn't do much for me, so instead of spending my time denying it's truth (which is the atheist way to go), I just close the door on the whole issue, leaving concepts of gods to those who want them, and do something else.

I said that I am perhaps an agnostic when it comes to this issue. I am well aware that some things can be known, and others must be taken on faith. But just because faith is involved that don't make it theism. I believe in things I cannot be certain about. These things have nothing whatsoever to do with any concept of any god, and so it is neither theism nor atheism.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:41 am
@Setanta,
Why don't you spend some time with a dictionary and get back to me.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:43 am
By the way, Bubba, you are dodging the criticisms of your thesis that atheism "spreads religious awareness and biases our thinking." Are you willing to assert that theism biases our thinking? If not, i'd classify you as another closet theist like Frank.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:47 am
@Cyracuz,
I already have clown, and i certainly don't need lessons in my native language from you. You are playing an idiotic word game with "disbelief" equivalent to Frank's childish assertions about the word guess. Disbelief only means that one does not believe something, it does not mean that one asserts that they know something not to be true. You're a snotty son of a bitch.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:50 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
. . . so instead of spending my time denying it's truth (which is the atheist way to go) . . .

Bullshit--that's question begging again. I spend zero time engaged in any such activity, except here, when confronted by smug agnostics like you. This never comes up in my life in the real world. Now you're comparing your real world experience to your witless assertions about an avatar of the atheist constructed from your question begging.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:56 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Are you willing to assert that theism biases our thinking?

Yes.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:57 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I already have clown, and i certainly don't need lessons in my native language from you.

Apparently you do. Atheism is defined as "believing there are no gods".

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 04:58 am
I'm not going to waste any more time on your mental masturbation here. I'm sure you can get Frank to join you in a circle-jerk, though.
spendius

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:00 am
@Cyracuz,
I think that discussions of this nature which do not consider the social consequences of theism, atheism etc belong in nurseries. They represent abdication and irresponsibility as Kant explained. A teething ring is required.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:09 am
It is a belief, but only in the sense we believe people who try to push gods and religion on us are full of ****.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:12 am
@Setanta,
As you wish.

Perhaps you will comment on this before you go:

Atheism can spread theistic awareness if someone were to call themselves an atheist when speaking to people who had no concepts of gods. Hypothetical situation, of course. But in that situation, the atheist would first have to explain the concept "gods" before he could move on to say that he didn't believe in them, and in so doing, he would have created awareness of theistic concepts in his listeners.

Atheism can bias our thinking because if the stance is "I believe no gods exist", it will be easy to prematurely reject ideas that involve aspects commonly associated with gods. If I start speaking of the universe as a singularity, about how I believe consciousness to be a fundamental aspect of this singularity, the bias we have from theism being forced on us makes it hard to see it as anything but theism, even though it is not. The atheistic bias will make many reject such ideas because of their similarity to theism.

This is how atheism can spread religious awareness, and how it can bias our thinking.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:15 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I think that discussions of this nature which do not consider the social consequences of theism, atheism etc belong in nurseries.

We will get to that, hopefully. As you might understand from my previous post here, the social and cultural consequences of having the division theism/atheism is precisely what I wanted to discuss.