Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:20 pm
DO YOU KNOW...
The difference between margarine and butter?

· Both have the same amount of calories.

· Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

· Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

· Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

· Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

· Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

· Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine...

· Very high in trans fatty acids...
· Triple risk of coronary heart disease..
· Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)
· Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) ....
· Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold...
· Lowers quality of breast milk ....
· Decreases immune response....
· Decreases insulin response..

And here is the most disturbing fact....
HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC...
This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

YOU can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something) ... it does not rot or smell
differently..because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic.

Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,248 • Replies: 15
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:34 pm
NO MARGARINE for this ol' fellow ! i'm sure there are greater dangers to my health than eating a piece of good rye-bread with butter. you may have noticed that EGGS are also no longer considered an imminent danger to our health. our parents didn't know much about cholestoral etc. etc.; they came through two major wars,survived inflation , depression and near starvation, and lived into their eighties. i think the old motto : "everything in moderation" has served mrs. h and me reasonably well - and that goes for exercise too. it's great to be active , but there is no advantage in overdoing it. there is a slogan for an old, established german MAGENBITTER (stomach bitters, digestive) by the name of UNDERBERG : "trinke ihn maessig aber regelmaessig !" - "drink it in moderation but regularly " - translation loses some of the punch, but i think you get the idea. hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:38 pm
Butter for me, in moderation. No way to margarine or any other hydrogenated fasts, thankyouverymuch.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:57 pm
For me butter and milk fats are the only animal sources I consume. It's important to make sure that you do have fat reserves to protect your internal organs and for the movement of certain nutrients. So I stick with them to cover all the bases, so to speak.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:02 pm
On the molecular level lead is very close to gold--but there is a big difference. I'm an abstemious butter user myself, but I can't swallow the logic that margarine and plastic are nearly identical.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:05 pm
That's disgusting!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:07 pm
Why not, Noddy? That non-dairy creamer really is plastic.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:21 pm
Roger--

"Abstemious butter user" means "I use just a bit of butter" (unless the bread is hot, right out of the oven.....).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:43 pm
butter only
sugar only

you know..as much natural in as normal a diet as possible...variety is the spice of life and non-overindulgence will make it all just fine

at least thats my story and Im sticking to it Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:58 pm
A couple of times now, while working in the garden, I've dug up containers of margarine. Who knows why they're there, or how long they've been there. I only know that I didn't bury them, and I've been here nearly 7 years. The stuff looks about the same as when people buy it in the grocery store. Not even raccoons want it. ackkkkkkkkk.

Butter.
Butter. Sugar. Milk.

I'm with Quinn. Only the real stuff, please.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:00 pm
me too!
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:06 pm
I love the taste of real butter. It amuses me to share a favorite recipe, only to have someone say it didn't turn out right... Duh! NO SUBSTITUTIONS!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:06 pm
well, actually, my milk is lactaid 1% and I just don't buy it very often. Ok, so butter and sugar! Yeah!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 01:34 am
Butter.

Real food in general, fresh veggies, etc.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:40 am
Irish child's street song:

Ahem, ahem
I can't come and play with you
I can't come out at all
It's not because you're dirty
It's not because you're clean
It's 'cause your folks are Protestants
And you eat margerine.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:53 am

i simply cannot believe that it is not butter...
0 Replies