Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:16 am
He was an utter scumbag politically, and almost none of his celebrated political screeds were original. He accepted the post of Secretary of State in Washington's administration (this after having opposed the ratification off the constitution), and then worked behind the scenes in an attempt to sabotage Hamilton's financial program. He couldn't even be open and honest about it.

His idea of national defense was the militia and a "gunboat" navy. Thanks to the gunboat navy, many sailors and Marines served ashore, because the gunboats were at the bottom of various bays and rivers. That worked out well, though, since the militia consistently ran away. Of course, Madison took the blame for Jefferson's stupidity. Madison's admiration for Jefferson is really sad--compared to Madison, Jefferson was an intellectual midget. As well, Madison actually went in harm's way during the revolution--Jefferson took running and hiding to new heights as governor of Virginia.

I really despise the hagiography of Jefferson.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:20 am
@Setanta,
I think, if nothing else, that opinions about Tommy do vary greatly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:26 am
I've been violently castigated here for "a hatchet job" on Jefferson, and accused of character assassination. I'm such a bad man.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 06:23 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman there was no or at least very few professional architects in the colonies so to take him to task for not doing a perfect job himself in your eyes is once more being a little silly.

All in all he seems to had done a far far better job then Washington at Mount Vernon for example.

In any case, his home did it job of impressing people for generations and still does so mo matter what it cost the Park Service to keep up.

As far as Adams reputation is concern he did most of the harm himself with the Alien and Sedition Acts and his interactions with his own cabinet.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 07:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Slavery was widely condemned by civilized nations in Jefferson's lifetime, whether or not Bill is too ignorant to know it.

Indeed, the civilized nation of England had taken the first step towards abolishing slavery as early as 1772, in Somersett's case. Somersett was a slave, owned by Charles Steward, an English colonial bureaucrat stationed in Virginia. One year, Steward travels to London with Somersett, Somerset runs away and joins a community of free Blacks in London. Steward has him caught and put on a ship to the Caribbeans.

Then English abolitionists get wind of the whole thing. They file a habeas corpus petition and bring Somersett's case before the Chief Justice of the King's bench, Lord Mansfield. After much deliberation, Mansfield decides that slavery cannot exist under the Common Law. Only a statute enacted by parliament could establish slavery in England, and the House of Parliament has never done that. In other words, Somersett is free. And in the course of freeing him, the King's bench decides that slavery is immoral.

Four years later, many of the North American colonies declare independence, with slave owners from Virginia featuring prominently among the rebellion's leaders. Coincidence? I don't know --- post hoc ergo proper hoc fallacy and all that. But it does make the whole freedom rhetoric of certain Virginian slave owners ring a bit hollow. What were their names again? I forget.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 08:04 am
@Thomas,
Nonsense that England was planning on outlawing slavery in it North American colonies and that was a motivation for any part of the rebellion of the colonies.

Talk about re-writing history on a very large scale indeed....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833

Footnote slavery was not ban in the Empire until 1833 and even then there was exceptions for the Territories in the Possession of the East India Company," the "Island of Ceylon," and "the Island of Saint Helena",

0 Replies

Yoku

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:54 am
I'm afraid you have missed the point thus allow me to elaborate:
Mr. Parfait has/is being harassed by someone that either thinks it is fun to make up rumors to soil his reputation or wishes him harm. He is a very conservative man that is very shy and wishes no publicity at all. You are playing into the hands of some practical joker. If you have any civility at all, you will stop.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:52 am
@Yoku,
then stop bringing it up and let us get on with our fights about Thommas Jefferson.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:00 pm
@farmerman,
"Methinks the lady doth protest too much." (If, of course, Yoku is a lady.) The thread's a setup just to get Parfait's name out into the open. Neither Y nor anyone else cares what we say about this would-be artist as long as we keep talking about him.

So let's get back to Th. Jefferson. I'm almost ready to come to his defense. But, then, I've always had a soft spot for wimps.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:03 pm
I have been seeing Stop "demonizing" thread for a number of days. Still don't know this Dan Parfait.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
You ain't missing much. It's a p.r. campaign, that's all. Fine. Gives us a platform for running down BillRM.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
But, then, I've always had a soft spot for wimps

Just because he set some new, at the time, speed records running from British troops led by Benedict Arnold in Virginia?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Gives us a platform for running down BillRM

Good luck on that project my friend..................
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:41 pm
@Yoku,
Yoku wrote:
If you have any civility at all, you will stop.

None of us has even an iota of civility.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:49 pm
@contrex,
I'll second that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:37 pm
So this joker starts a thread, the obvious purpose of which is to tout someone none of us have ever heard of, and is now complaining about a lack of civility? That cracks me up. If this joker is the shy, retiring type he is alleged to be, then he won't care what rumors are started online. However, if the clown actually hopes to create a political career, then the dictum that there's no such thing as bad publicity applies, and he'll be delighted that a shill is promoting his name online. This site never lacks for free entertainment.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 03:10 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
None of us has even an iota of civility

I believe I left an ota around here somewhere.

0 Replies

space007

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:41 am
@Yoku,
A kind of cream pie?
0 Replies

Yoku

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 07:47 am
@farmerman,
Then perhaps I might suggest you read a couple of books, "defending Thomas Jefferson" and the other tirle eludes me but it has something about lies about TJM marxists all hate TJN but the l
LAST REAL Democrat, JFKN loved him.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 07:48 am
@Yoku,
Writing in English is not a stong suit of yours, is it?