Would you live on a boat?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:33 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Id suggest a breakin down the intercoastal and into the Gulf.
Just keep a weather eye and watch for the druggies (hell theyre all over even in the Gulf of MAine)
Is it true that anti-piracy guns have become popular on board ?

David
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Im not sure what you mean by "Anti-piracy" guns but weve always kept a gun or three on board (besides flares). A cheap Ithaca shotgun (pump) with "Home defense" loads is a very intimidating response to someone trying to board.

The only time we were actually boarded was by some drunk kids in kayaks who were lost. They were more afraid than a threat so we took em and their whole bunch of kayaks back to shore. With all the damn kayaks in the fantail we looked more like a colorfull porcupine than a tug coming into dock (and of course, the border patrol and shore cops were all over us till they determined who was who)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Im not sure what you mean by "Anti-piracy" guns but weve always kept a gun or three on board (besides flares).
A cheap Ithaca shotgun (pump) with "Home defense" loads is a very intimidating response to someone trying to board.
I understand that a few years ago,
drug smugglers were robbing citizens of their pleasure boats
after the DEA robbed them of their drug smuggling boats.

Those citizens were ofen invited to go for a swim (walk the plank?)

That purportedly gave rise to a lot of boaters adopting fully automatic weapons
in defense of life & boat.

David
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
dont know Dave. I wouldnt want to be on a boat with a guy brndishing a submachine gun and having him fire holes ino the craft. A shotgun will do fine. Anyway, when you are out and see a fast boat attempting to close from a wide angle, I usually have time for a distress and to load up.
The thing about boats (power boats mostly), you get a feel early for when a nearby craft is acting weirdly wrt my course. You can usually take a jog to port or starboard and see that he adjusts his coarse with you, then I begin to be concerned.

Remember, with good instruments you can see pretty much "over the horizon" (BUT, so can he).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 09:37 pm
@farmerman,
U got enuf range with shotguns ?

space007

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:26 am
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
That is a leisure life people expected, if there is a chance then just do it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 04:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
This is a thread about boats. Im providing no further responses to your fixations. It gets creepy after a bit and I should know better that you always attempt to wrest a threads topic to fit your need.

Do you realize this Dave? You get really creepy when your lifes only pleasure is shooting others.

I rather like the thread's arc to be abot boats. (One of my lifes pleasures, but not exclusively so)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 07:06 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
This is a thread about boats.
Im providing no further responses to your fixations.
It gets creepy after a bit and I should know better that you always attempt to wrest a threads topic to fit your need.

Do you realize this Dave? You get really creepy when your lifes only pleasure is shooting others.

I rather like the thread's arc to be abot boats. (One of my lifes pleasures, but not exclusively so)
Well, I was thinking of BOATS as being to what .5O caliber machineguns r attached.
Accordingly, that is not unreasonable.

David
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 04:57 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Quote:
Every once in a while I’ll spend a couple nights sleeping on the boat. I sleep like a baby on the water. Living on one permanently is a lifestyle I could get use to.

I use to think the same thing until I talked to someone who lived on one. He said it was miserable in the winter and that the windows would fog up but maybe it was because his boat was not set up properly. I think that it is like most things, "after a while you get tired of it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 05:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
wooden boats are difficult to set up for winterizing so that you copuld live abopard. A wooden boat is, at best, a three season craft or year round in the tropics. A glas boat ca be set up with noice snug insulation and air ciculation tween decks.
Our Beal Isle was snug and warm with no condensation anywhere in cold or rainy weather. It was a pleasure being inside and watching the bigger waves (although anything at 10 feet or more was scary) Mostly cause when your down in the troughs, you cant see **** except a towering wave. Its always best to try to find sheltered coves, a wind- lee point, or a harbor of refuge in gales at sea.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:03 pm
@farmerman,
I found my sailboat. Now it’s not large enough to live on, only 48 footer but we can spend the weekends there, sort of a home away from home. The last week in March we will be taking this sucker out for seven days, might head towards Cuba.

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/2554/sailboato.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/5919/sailboat1.jpg
Advocate

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:06 pm
If I am not mistaken, living on a boat may be an effective way to escape state taxation. You are taxed where you are domiciled. How is domicile pinned on you if you keep moving.

Carnival workers are notorious for not pay ANY taxes. Who can keep up, and catch, them.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:43 pm
@Advocate,
We still own a home in Tampa, Florida so no state taxes. I was going for a 60 footer but a little too much cash was needed.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 08:07 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
I guess you are not looking for a project boat? if you were you can get them cheap but they seem to be embarrassed to show photos Laughing

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/29732
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 08:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
Built in 1971? I can only imagine the shape its in.
Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 08:46 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
The boat looks beautiful from here, sleek.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 06:30 am
@ossobuco,
He does have a beautiful boat doesn't he. Smile
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 07:46 am
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Quote:
Built in 1971? I can only imagine the shape its in.

I have seen some boats out there that are older than that and still in great shape. Here is one a little newer but well taken care of.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/7844
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 08:53 am
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
That is a sweet boat.

I had an uncle who lived on a boat. He was moored by the next town over from my folks (they all lived on Long Island). Late in his life (he's been dead for, egad, a good 20 years or so), he used to proposition my mother's friends by asking them to come onto his boat and fool around. I don't believe he got any takers.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 02:44 pm
@jespah,
We stayed on the boat this weekend, I think we will end up keeping the house and using the boat just on weekends. We have two dogs that were not too thrilled. Laughing