The Fat Lady Sings for Satellite Merger

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:33 am
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/021210/media_hughes_6.html

Quote:
Reuters
Hughes Ends Merger Deal with EchoStar
Tuesday December 10, 10:13 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rival satellite television services Hughes Electronics Corp. (NYSE:GMH - News) and EchoStar Communications Corp. (NasdaqNM:DISH - News) said on Tuesday they had called off their proposed merger due to opposition from regulators ...

Well, now ... is this any surprise? Comments, anyone?

timber
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,668 • Replies: 4
No top replies

neil

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 07:47 pm
Merged they,tihey likely could have put some cable TV providers out of busness leaving only C band as a very weak competiter. Is any high definition video on the web for people with DSL or other broad band ISPs? Neil
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 09:23 pm
Hi, neil, and welcome to A2K. I.m surprised you found this orphan thread.

As to Web-Borne HD imagery, at present such is not practicable due to bandwidth constraints. The pipe just ain't big enough yet, but they're working on it.

timber
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:41 am
I found lots of orphons by clicking on" threads with no reply" or some such wording. I found you again by clicking on treads to which I had previously posted. Able2know seems to have quite a few useful options, but technology seems to be as close as we come to science or engineering. Any ideas on how to make computers, user friendly. I've invested a thousand hours of study time and I still feel like I know a thousand disaplines better than computers. I think of myself as a generalist. Neil
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:42 pm
neil, I've been playing with computers since they were room-sized behemoths with spinning tape reels, blinking lights, and massive card-sorters. I to this day am frequently amazed by the unexpected, unintended, and altogether perplexing behavior of the beasts. The users can be as freindly as they wish, the machines are inclined to no such disposition. Any of them, even the most docile and trusted, may turn on you without notice and rip out your data. Don't fear them, for they sense that and take advantage. Rather, respect them, and remain prepared to defend yourself if necessary. They recognize and respond to strength and authority, but remain essentially untamed critters, capable of great mischief if allowed to perceive they have achieved pack dominance. They pout once in a while too.

timber
0 Replies