Theists, How well can you defend your beilief that God exists?

Val Killmore

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 07:07 pm
It seems that what we may have accomplished is what God is not.
The problem of evil might help us understand the refutation of a certain kind of Gog, namely, a God of classical theism.

Still there are alternative conceptions of God, for example, such as an alternative that Fil pointed out.

No general universal answer seems to emerge, but with time and reasoning, some conceptions will stand and others will abate.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 07:12 pm
@Val Killmore,
...it suffices to conclude the problem of America is not God the problem of America is education...same goes for the rest of the world...do away with God and you will get Gandalf instead, in fact you will open a moral Pandora box because the world is not going to get any better soon, at least not without addressing the real issue at hand...
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 09:59 am
Speaking of string theory, I wonder what the consequences will be if or when the Higgs boson is not found.

L1n1o

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 10:18 am
@Val Killmore,
Our whole understanding of the Physical concept of the world will be in deep ****.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 04:04 am
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:

Speaking of string theory, I wonder what the consequences will be if or when the Higgs boson is not found.

Well they have already hit pay dirt in a sense. Some of the preliminary tests have revealed that there is something happening in a position where they have made theories as to where the higgs would reveal itself. More testing is needed to confirm it and to replicate the results to be confident enough to confirm that they have found it.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they can't confirm the higgs existence. It would be like trying to create a water molecule while under water. It might just be that you can't create a higgs particle because the space needed for one to form is already filled.

But besides all that I would be surprised if they didn't find anything.

L1n1o wrote:
Our whole understanding of the Physical concept of the world will be in deep ****.

I hope you are joking because no it wouldn't. There could be fundamental reasons why we can't generate a higgs particle but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that our understanding of the universe is in some way threatened
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 05:23 am
@Val Killmore,
Val, just for the record, how well can you defend your belief that gods do not exist?
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 05:24 am
Ah poor Frank . . . reduced to trolling for victims to play his silly word games.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:02 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Ah poor Frank . . . reduced to trolling for victims to play his silly word games.

Ah, poor Setanta...reduced to looking for my posts in order to send out a bit of scorn, contempt, and ridicule. But apparently that is what makes Setanta’s day—and it helps make what must otherwise be a rather sad life a bit more tolerable, I say…

…“Welcome to it, Set! Glad I was able to help you so early in the day.”
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 08:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
No Frank, i don't look for your posts, you're just not that important.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:47 am
@Val Killmore,
It is very easy to state the "truth" about what God, or Ultimate Reality, is not: any proposition we might venture about Ulimate anything must be wrong, just like any effort on the part of ants to understand what we are about must be "wrong." It's the ant's (and humanity's) nature to be wrong in such a matter.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:00 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No Frank, i don't look for your posts, you're just not that important.

Yeah, you've mentioned that in many posts directed to me. In any case, you do see to stumble across my posts quite often...and you almost always seem to comment on them with the scorn and contempt that you seem to relish in so many situations.

I noticed in another thread that you could not just say that Ray Bradbury was a better writer than Heinlein. You had to demean Heinlein...to suggest there was something wrong with mentioning him in the same post as mentioning Bradbury.

Hey, you need scorn and contempt to fill some empty hole in your life...and I see nothing wrong with that.

It is kind of sad, but very tolerable.
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
I've been reading this thread right along. Now you want to whine about how mean i am to you. Poor bay-bee . . . you're a legend in your own mind, Bubba . . .
Val Killmore

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Val, just for the record, how well can you defend your belief that gods do not exist?

A very bad question indeed.

An atheist, like a Christian, holds a view that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not.

As an agnostic, I suspends judgment, in that there are not sufficient grounds
either for affirmation or for denial.

At the same time, an Agnostic may hold that the existence of God, though not impossible, is very improbable, and may even hold it so improbable that it is not worth considering. In that case, such an agnostic is not far removed from atheism. I'm not such an agnostic.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:50 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I've been reading this thread right along. Now you want to whine about how mean i am to you. Poor bay-bee . . . you're a legend in your own mind, Bubba . . .

I do not whine...and I am not whining here.

I notice that you run across my posts often...and you respond to them even though you keep saying that I am not worth the trouble.

I have no idea of why you have such a low opinion of me...or why you come into threads to tell me about that low opinion. I don't understand why you seem so aggressive, demeaning, dismissive, and generally contemptuous of so many people here.

You seem to me to be an intelligent individual (certainly more intelligent than I) who is totally unable to control his rage and anger.

Sorry you see that as whining.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:56 am
@Val Killmore,

Quote:
A very bad question indeed.

Since the response to it gave me lots of information I did not have before, I respectfully suggest it was a very good question, indeed.

Quote:
An atheist, like a Christian, holds a view that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not.

I suspect some atheists (and perhaps even some theists) might disagree with you here. Many atheists (in fact most debating on the Internet) hold the view that we cannot know. Many theists do also.

I do not hold the view that we cannot know if a god exists. I do hold the view that we cannot know if gods do not exist.

Quote:
As an agnostic, I suspends judgment, in that there are not sufficient grounds
either for affirmation or for denial.

Good for you. I also do.

Quote:
At the same time, an Agnostic may hold that the existence of God, though not impossible, is very improbable, and may even hold it so improbable that it is not worth considering. In that case, such an agnostic is not far removed from atheism. I'm not such an agnostic.

Neither am I.

Thanks for the information. I’m glad I asked the question.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You so full of **** i can smell it from here.

Whiner
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:42 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You so full of **** i can smell it from here.

Whiner

If you smell ****...it must be coming from you.

Why do you dislike me so, Setanta?
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Why do you think you're that important?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 02:03 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Why do you think you're that important?

I didn't say I was important. You are indicating a good deal of loathing for me...despite your protests that I am not worth even considering. I am trying to figure out why.

Your constant references and inferences that I am disgusting in some way to you is enough for me to ask the question.

Why do you feel so negatively toward me, Setanta?

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 02:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This loathing and disgust, like the bullshit claim that i follow you around, are all figments of your perfervid imagination. To answer your question would be giving in to a loaded question, accepting the simple-minded premise. Don't look for that to happen.