Type of flour to make egg pasta

Ville2

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 07:59 am
Which flour should you use to make traditional home-made Italian egg pasta, durum wheat flour or regular wheat flour? I know that there’s even a law in Italy that tells to use durum wheat only. But I suspect that this is made from the point of view of grocery industry since a lot of sources tell to use regular wheat flour instead. Some sources explain that the fresh pasta sold at grocery stores is made with durum wheat flour only because it allows the factory to use less egg and thus extend the shelf life. On the other hand, many sources tell you to use durum wheat flour—this is very confusing.

Do you know which flour an Italian house-wife is really using and why and would you have a reliable source on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,741 • Replies: 2

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 09:36 am
@Ville2,
To make it authentic you should use 00 wheat flour, like this one - you can buy it at William Sonoma (or check online).

http://rk.wsimgs.com/wsimgs/rk/images/dp/wcm/201215/0146/img52b.jpg
0 Replies

juliapeter47

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:47 am
Hi...
I think.
In the event that producing German fresh new pasta along with egg (as discussed here), you should utilize general-purpose or maybe ‘plain’ flour. This particular common flour is useful for a lot of food preparation, and is usually produced by ‘milling’ (grinding in the event you like), numerous kinds associated with tough and gentle wheat.
0 Replies