Why is Setanta a Nasty, Self-Deluded Gasbag?

Mame

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:53 pm
He has a reputation to maintain, one he's cultivated. Doing a good job, isn't he?
tenderfoot

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 06:15 pm
@Mame,
Yep.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 07:17 pm
I think its hilarious how Setanta's got so many people cowed into silence with all his nasty bigmouth bullying.

I'm getting advised to grow a thicker skin, and that's good advice. Easier said than done with some folk.

Setanta never admits being wrong in the nasty exchanges he often initiates, and only a handful of people ever call him on it. I ain't skeerd of the bastid.

I am probably gone astray to have started this thread - stirring up things is a lose/lose. I just get sick of his stomping around like he's some cyber tough guy and wanted to tell him where he can get off.

Since I've finally put him on ignore and won't see his replies unless someone quotes him, this will be my last salvo for this episode. Sorry for putting the car crash on the highway, but I think the EMTs and wreckers will have everything out of the way soon.
chai2

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 07:38 pm
@snood,
Are you shitting me?

Set's never cowed me into silence.

In fact, you know who makes me pause in my full ability to speak my mind here?

The mealy mouth people who want to look for some deep meaning in every comment, and get all in a tizzy over plain talk.

Honestly snood? You are over sensitive. You're not mealy mouthed, but you do take insult where none is intended.
And when you do, that's an invitation for someone to poke their finger in your self inflicted wound.

When you get all insulted, you're showing your weak flank.
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 07:47 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I think its hilarious how Setanta's got so many people cowed into silence with all his nasty bigmouth bullying.

Another possible (and plausible) conclusion that can be drawn from the silence is that people may see through it all and can't be bothered with replying. Why feed such negativity. There's already so much of it going around.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Are you shitting me?

Set's never cowed me into silence.

In fact, you know who makes me pause in my full ability to speak my mind here?

The mealy mouth people who want to look for some deep meaning in every comment, and get all in a tizzy over plain talk.

Honestly snood? You are over sensitive. You're not mealy mouthed, but you do take insult where none is intended.
And when you do, that's an invitation for someone to poke their finger in your self inflicted wound.

When you get all insulted, you're showing your weak flank.

Your opinion is noted chai.
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:42 pm
@snood,
I often think set leads with his chin. He is brusque and, thats just him. He can be thin skinned and he takes offense very quickly when none is intended. (Thats my experience).
BUT, hes a good resource and I find I learn alot about history via his "take" on subjects.
That out weighs any negs and if you continue being touchy youll miss out oin some good banter with an intelligent guy.
Why not just give it back to him until you both start laughing? He is not without a keen sense of humor.

I missed why youre all pissed at him and really dont care. My advice is to go back to that thread and sort it out how you and he "misread" what you write. Our language , in its written form, is often interpreted using the rules of the spoken word where we are face -to-face. SO, its easy to feel shouted at from posts especially where one or the other starts out with a phrase that may be interpreted as provocative and probably really wasnt.

Thats all I gotta say about that.
snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 09:23 pm
@farmerman,
No FM, I get what you're saying. In fact me and Set have had over a year of detente. I think he's one of the most knowledgable people on the site, and I enjoy nothing better than exchanging ideas with him when we're on civil terms.

Where we go wrong in my opinion is that he gives and takes grievous offense, but he doesn't own when he starts it or when he's wrong. He came into a thread I started and delivered his judgement that I was obsessing about the subject of the thread.

The thread I started about sexual orientation was getting some interesting replies, but in his opinion I was "obsessing about things that are nobody's business".

I protested that I thought it was an unfair and hasty characterization, and that he wouldn't like it (and would tell me to **** off) if I came on one of his threads and called him obsessed.

I stand by all that - I think he was wrong, or at the very least it was debatable. But he called my reply "vicious" and it got nastier and nastier.

I call him nasty because he delivers the lowest blows the earliest in a discussion of anyone I know. I say he's self-deluded because in his eyes he never ever does anything that requires apology, so I guess he really believes he's never wrong. And I call him a gasbag because he will continue with an exchange of crap forever - he will not back off, he will not be the first to shut the **** up about something.

I may have a thin skin, but it is no thinner than Setanta's. And I simply demand the same respect that he expects.

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 09:37 pm
@snood,
Quote:
he will not back off, he will not be the first to shut the **** up about something.

and this fact was only discovered by you after three pages of nasty exchange?

Sometimes making believe that you are the grown -up is the best approach. Drop it and move to another thread till it settles.

I got into such an exchange with a guy named Ionus last year and it went on for three pages when I realized that both he and I were looking really stupid, so I quit.

SO any points I thought I was making were lost by my own childishness. So, you both gotta remember that, whenever something personal is exchanged for more than three posts neither of you will come across as anything but petulent. (trust me, I was a slow learner on this point).

snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:29 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not engaging in any back and forth with him. Got him on ignore. This thread was done in a moment of pique. Would erase it now if I could, but guess best I can do is vote it down.
fresco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 12:55 am
@snood,
You should not regret this thread. Setanta would be wise to take note of your comments, but as we know, that is unlikely.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 01:44 am
@snood,
"Why is Setanta a Nasty, Self-Deluded Gasbag?"

He's just living up to his full potential...

heh kidding of course, I just wanted in on the fun.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 02:59 am
@snood,
Debating, do or don't.

I like Farmerman's reply.. Thought out.

I like Chai's "balls" on the subject whilst I know she doesn't have them in the true sense.

I personally hate these threads but think they are started in the heat of the moment.

I love the Edg....'s that start a new one on ones like this.

And, frankly... People are who they are.. Accept them.

I think Set writes some excellent posts and has a great sense of humor. He has called me out and pfttt, so what.. Liven up a little, life is about enjoying not ignoring or getting pissed over comments.. No matter where you are, it will happen in life..

I read the thread and I think you are 'over-acting' ... I understand however the word respect so I get what you are saying in that respect.. But, we can't command it if someone doesn't want to give it...

Let it go... You know your worth right?

engineer

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 06:19 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I'm getting advised to grow a thicker skin, and that's good advice. Easier said than done with some folk.

Early on in my participation on A2K I read some advice that has served me well: It's the Internet, you are going to get flamed, expect it and move on. I've been called all sorts of names by people who cannot defend their positions any other way. Thick skin is the only answer.

snood wrote:
Setanta never admits being wrong ...

Again, this is the Internet - no one ever admits to being wrong and when someone realizes they are wrong, standard policy is to double down.

snood wrote:

I am probably gone astray to have started this thread - stirring up things is a lose/lose.

Agreed but hopefully you can celebrate the emotional release before we get down to the really important stuff like the French Open. (Serena is going all the way this time.)

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 07:12 am
When Set (or some others) get what has been called uppity, can't admit they are wrong, etc. etc. I picture them doing it totally tongue in cheek.

I remember quite awhile ago someone, maybe it was set even, had a signature line about dys saying something like "It's no fun making fun of (maybe it was arguing, something like that) dys, he just laughs at himself."

mismi

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 08:19 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I'll say this.
I don't find set to be nasty, self-deluded, or a gasbag.

But, I've got tough enough skin to know when he jumps on my case it's not personal, or if it is, I don't care.

In fact, I go out of my way to read what he writes, as opposed to the nicey nice, wouldn't say **** if my mouth was full of it, gee we would never want to risk saying anything that has the smallest potenial of being taken the wrong way or making someone sad.

If set has a problem with someone, he says it

I love that Set says what's on his mind. I think he is infinitely entertaining. I think you have to take most of the folks on A2K with a grain of salt. If I am in a pissy mood I quit reading. Walk away....well maybe not always. But I am a low drama kind of girl. If I do step into a pile of shat - it's because I want a fight. So I get what I deserve. Wink I accept full responsibility.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 08:25 am
@chai2,
Uppity? Really?

As in, people should know their station and never think to rise above it, or challenge their "betters?"

I hope you mean "up on their high-horse," which has (to me, at least) a very different connotation.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 08:53 am
Setanta is part Irish - that's all the explanation one needs!

This reminds me of Ceili's joke from the bookstore:

Customer: I am looking for a book about fighting!
Clerk: By?
Customer: By an Irishman, I believe!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 09:10 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Uppity? Really?

As in, people should know their station and never think to rise above it, or challenge their "betters?"

I hope you mean "up on their high-horse," which has (to me, at least) a very different connotation.

whoops, sorry.
I used the word uppity because I thought I read someone else use it here.
I was wrong.

Actually, IRL, I've only used the word "uppity" in an obviously joking manner. I think the word is stange.

I think I've laughinlgy used the word using both connotations.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 09:56 am
I do not believe he is "self-deluded." In my opinion he knows exactly the persona he is giving the forum. Why has he chosen it? He can tell us after the commercial break. [Will the real A2k Setanta please stand up!]
0 Replies