Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:55 pm
My family has a four year old multese-poodle mix, and recently, his breath has gotten TERRIBLE. The dog has been in my family for nearly four years, but he has never had a breath problem this severe before.

Does anyone know what i can do to get rid of the breath problem, or what the cause is? I am worried about his health, we may need to take him to the vet, but we really cannot afford it and if there is another way to see if my dog is healthy, i would like to try that first. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,748 • Replies: 35
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:02 pm
check his teeth and see whether thay arent tartared up and discolored at the gum line. you should have a vet clean the doggies teeth periodically . We feed our dogs a parsley treat and that helps.

usually really bad breath signals something wrong in the teeth for a younger dog .
Some people say that a diet full of canned dog food is best but we use a mix of a half can to a cup of dry for the big dogs and about 3/4 of that for the border collie
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:18 pm
Could be a digestive disorder as well.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:25 am
So that's why they told me not to feed my dog onions...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:27 am
You really should be brushing his teeth regularly, but most people don't want to do that. They have these tasty chew toys at any pet store that are really good for your doggies teeth, check those out and see if they don't end your problem.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:47 am
Quote:
Pet Symptom Solver

Bad Breath

You would be insulted if someone said that you have "dog breath." But then, your dog might be insulted, too. "The breath of healthy pets should be nearly odorless," says Ira Luskin, D.V.M., a veterinary dentist in private practice in Baltimore.

Dogs and cats with bad breath nearly always have periodontal disease, a condition in which bacteria in the mouth cause infections that lead to gum problems or tooth decay, says Dr. Luskin. Veterinarians estimate that 60 to 80 percent of cats and dogs have serious periodontal disease by the time they are five years old.

Bad breath can also occur if your pet has something stuck in her teeth or under the gums. Even a grass seed, if it stays there long enough, can cause an infection, giving her breath a potent punch. A broken tooth can cause smelly breath. So can tumors or ulcers in the mouth, says Stephen A. Smith, D.V.M., a veterinarian in private practice in Pasadena, Maryland.

If your pet's breath smells odd but not exactly awful, she could have an underlying illness that is causing it, says Dr. Smith.

# Diabetes can make the breath unpleasantly sweet.
# Pets with kidney disease may have breath with an ammonia-like smell.
# An intestinal blockage can make the breath smell like stool.

Bad breath isn't always caused by health problems. There is a big difference between a foul smell and a food smell. If your dog has been gnawing a meat-flavored chew toy, her breath will be a little musky. Your cat will have a pungent purr after polishing off a can of tuna. In addition, both dogs and cats will have terrible breath after licking their anal glands, which are filled with a thick liquid that has a room-clearing smell.

See Your Vet If...

# There is a broken tooth or a sore in your pet's mouth
# Her breath has a sickly sweet or ammonia-like smell
# There is something stuck in your pet's teeth
# Your pet can't open his mouth or is having trouble opening it
# He can't close his mouth
# He won't eat or has difficulty chewing or swallowing
# His tongue, lips, or muzzle are swollen
# There is a foreign object stuck in his mouth
# His gums are red and swollen, or there is bleeding
# Your pet is drooling or panting excessively
# His tongue or gums are blue or pale
# Your pet has ulcers on his tongue
# He is gagging frequently
# There is a lump anywhere on his face
# He is pawing frequently at his mouth or face
# There is a discharge from his mouth or nose that lasts two days or longer
# His breath is consistently bad
# Your pet's nose is dry, crusty, or bleeding
# His mouth is foaming, or he's grinding his teeth
# There is dried saliva around the mouth
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:05 am
thanks for the link to the problem solver, caprice. it's great.
I'd never looked at that part of ivillage before.
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 05:52 pm
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you go about brushing a dogs teeth? We have tried before, but he flails his limbs at us. I suppose we should have tried to train him for it since he was a puppy...
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 05:54 pm
and thanks for your helpful suggestions everyone, you are the best
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 06:04 pm
ohh, dogs and doggie toothpaste

1. there are actual doggie toothbrushes
2. there are little rubber finger covers you can put the toothpaste on
3. you can use a baby toothbrush
4. if you've got a very co-operative dog, you can put the toothpaste on your finger, stick your finger in your dog's mouth and smush the toothpaste around on their gums and teeth
5. if you have my least co-operative dog, you do what they taught us at dog school. take 2 small dog biscuits (the small milkbone size) that have good flat surfaces. spread some toothpaste on one, top it with the other. let it sit for about 5 minutes. serve.

apparently, since dog toothpastes are enzymatic, as long as you get the toothpaste in their mouths, the toothpaste will work
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 06:25 pm
And make absolutely sure that it's dog toothpaste, they can't swallow human toothpaste.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 06:38 pm
Kevin, welcome to a2k!! So far, all the advice has been great. All I can add is that my dog likes doggie toothpaste so much that he licks it off my finger quicker that I can brush his teeth. I also think that dry food is very helpful in keeping a dog's teeth clean.
0 Replies

DrFlawless

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 08:16 pm
who is feeding onion to their dog???

onion is toxic to a dog ... enough onion can kill them!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 08:45 pm
Gee, I thought I posted that about onion too, the post must've not taken. Onion and chocolate have cumulative effects, chocolate, I gather, being a real quick threat to little ones, I think. Will try to find a google link on these.

EhBeth, I didn't know or have forgotten that about doggie toothpaste on dog biscuits, what a great idea.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:47 pm
Rawhide bones are good, too. With a little dog like that I wouldn't let them have them unsupervised (choking risk), but the gnawing helps stimulate the gums or some such.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:50 pm
Yes, Pacco has started to choke on the snacks that he loves so much that are good for his teeth - all those hoofy ear-y things I am unhappy about in the first place. Well, he's never unsupervised, or hardly ever... but I've avoided them since I caught on that he had trouble with the chewed down morsel, which he'd then try to consume in one happy gulp, and ...... fail.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:55 pm
My dog inhales her food...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:14 am
ossobuco wrote:
Yes, Pacco has started to choke on the snacks that he loves so much that are good for his teeth - all those hoofy ear-y things I am unhappy about in the first place. Well, he's never unsupervised, or hardly ever... but I've avoided them since I caught on that he had trouble with the chewed down morsel, which he'd then try to consume in one happy gulp, and ...... fail.

My parents dog tried doing that. It sort of got stuck in her throat a couple of times so she horked it up. The second time more came up than just the unchewed piece. Ugh! My Mom, who is incredibly squeamish (how she raised two kids I'll never know! *L*) says to me "clean it up! I'm not touching it!" Oh joy.

Individual wrote:
My dog inhales her food...

*L* Same for my parent's dog! I think they all must be the same way. Wink

One other note regarding toxic substances....I understand grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs too!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:33 am
I bet there is a list of substances toxic to dogs on the internet. Manana, I'll look for it manana.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:45 am
They can't have anything with yeast:
Breads
Grapes/Raisins
Beer Drunk

Or chocolate, or onion...that's everything that I know.
0 Replies