Scotty's ashes to be blasted into space

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 11:16 am

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02225/James-Doohan_2225989b.jpg

The ashes of actor James Doohan, who played engineer "Scotty" in Star Trek, are due to be blasted into orbit on Tuesday.

His remains will be among those of 308 people on board a rocket being launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida by SpaceX, a company run by South African-born billionaire Elon Musk.

The mission is also the first organised by a private firm to the International Space Station, and it will deliver a "grocery run" of 1,000lbs of food and clothing to astronauts there.

A capsule containing the ashes will separate from the main Falcon 9 rocket nine minutes into the flight, and will orbit the Earth for around a year before disintegrating on re-entry. Families have paid $3,000 each to send up the remains of their loved ones.

During his long run portraying the chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the iconic television and film franchise, Doohan's character became associated with the catchphrase "Beam me up, Scotty".

If successful, the launch will mark the end of a long journey for the Canadian actor's remains.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/star-trek/9280413/Scotty-from-Star-Treks-ashes-to-be-blasted-into-space.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,146 • Replies: 12
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 11:20 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Elon Musk is a very fascinating character. He's one of the founders of the automotive company, Tesla and he's one of the featured subjects of the documentary, Revenge of the Electric Car (2011).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 02:31 pm
Oh great, just what we need, more space junk.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 02:42 pm
@JTT,
Last frontier, J.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 02:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The last frontier is already a garbage dump. Isn't that an uplifting thought, Merry?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:28 pm
@JTT,
Sure. That's the history of mankind's expansion into new frontiers. Since time immemorial. That's what archeologists dig into -- middens. I thought you knew that. The American expansion westward across the continent is best characterized by the **** that was discarded at the wayside as covered wagons broke down and mules and oxen died. Nothing new in any of that. Why should space be any different? It's just more vast, that's all. The behavior of polluting one's immediate environment is a time-honored tradition. Don't know what you're grousing about.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
The American expansion westward across the continent is best characterized by the **** that was discarded at the wayside

I'd say that the American expansion westward across the continent is best characterized by the **** they did to Native Americans.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:13 pm
@JTT,
Undoubtedly, that too.
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 04:19 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The problem with depositing chunks of debris in outer space that will be in orbit for some unknowable period of time, is that these chunks of bone are going around th earth at speeds that are about 10 times faster than the bullet of a rifle.

M x A = bad day if you get hit
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 07:26 am
@farmerman,
According to the article, Scotty's supposed to burn up on re-entry. Quite fitting I think. Especially after so many episodes of "pulling their asses out of the fire", he finally gets to go down in a blaze of glory Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 07:36 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I wonder what the trekkie community will do when Shatner dies. (I'm betting Nimoy lasts longer than Shatner, but who knows).

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 09:43 am
@rosborne979,
I don't think Nimoy has the weight problem that Shatner obviously does. When he's not working on a show, and, therefore, staying in shape, Shatner has a tendency to get fat as a mansion.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:30 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I don't think Nimoy has the weight problem that Shatner obviously does. When he's not working on a show, and, therefore, staying in shape, Shatner has a tendency to get fat as a mansion.
That's what I was thinking as well.
0 Replies