Kirk and Picard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:00 am
It's been the case that Kirk is portrayed as the gung-ho guy, while Picard is portrayed as the diplomat. I was watching Star Trek Insurrection just now, and I realized in all four TNG films Picard doesn't use his diplomatic skills at all. In Generations, Picard blows Soran up; In First Contact, Picard acidifies the Borg Queen and then breaks her cybernetic spine; In Insurrection, the Enterprise lets Ru'aufo burn; and in Nemesis, Picard empales his clone through the heart.

At least in ST IV, Kirk doesn't try to blow up the probe; and in ST VI, Kirk actually becomes a diplomat to sooth relations between the Klingons and the Federation.

Just an observation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 4,493 • Replies: 31
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:42 am
@Victor Eremita,
Intriguing observations on the failures of the studios to keep Picard relatively in character as they probably thought his typical diplomatic self wouldn't make an interesting and compelling box office draw so they must have forced the writers to turn him into an quasi-action hero.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:59 am
@Victor Eremita,
Kirk wins Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:17 am
@rosborne979,
I would love to see how Captain Sisko handles the big screen. But sadly that would never happen as the studio big wigs probably would never give Deep Space Nine the big screen treatment as they're only interested in trying to appeal to the biggest audience as possible and thusly the biggest box office numbers as possible.
Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:33 am
@tsarstepan,
During the course of DS9, Sisko became Jesus. The finale, he ascends into the celestial temple. That's so Jesus

Yup, no DS9 or Voyager movies, based on the stellar box office performance of Abrams' reboot.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:33 am
Negotiating with the Borg Queen would have been pointless and stupid, since she was amoral and intent on changing Earth's past to enslave it retroactively. Only a fool would have tried to negotiate at that point, and Picard is not a fool.
Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:36 am
@Brandon9000,
Ok, take Insurrection; the Enterprise-E could have easily beamed up Picard and Ru'aufo, while it was making that flyby. Nah, says Riker; let Ru'aufo suck ash.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:18 am
I think that is a sign of decent writing; the characters are not on-dimensional. And then their is that old Klingon saying-- "Only Nixon could go to China".
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:17 am
i have never been able to watch any Star Trek but the original, maybe it was the time lag between series, i loved the original series as a kid (i even liked the animated series as cheesy as it was), but by the time the later series came around i just couldn't get into them

i bought this a while ago

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/093/204390093.jpg
Review
OK, all you Trekkers who have been resisting the Star Trek: Fan Collective series on principle because it's an inexpensive repackaging of the episodes you already have on DVD. Captain's Log, the fifth in the series, raises the bar, not just by including a fifth disc, but by providing a host of brand-new content. As usual, fans selected the initial 10 episodes--two per series--but each "captain"--William Shatner, James T. Kirk of the Original Series; Patrick Stewart, Jean-Luc Picard of The Next Generation; Avery Brooks, Benjamin Sisko of Deep Space Nine; Kate Mulgrew, Kathryn Janeway of Voyager; and Scott Bakula, Jonathan Archer of Enterprise--picked a third episode as a personal favorite. Each captain then introduces the selected episode in about a one-minute segment (the exception is Shatner, who dishes for 12 minutes about "The City on the Edge of Forever," joined partway through by co-star Joan Collins), and in most cases, introduces the fan-selected ones as well. Finally, each captain is interviewed in a series of featurettes (some with common themes, such as "The Importance of the Captain's Log," "What Makes a Good Captain," or the character's legacy or future) lasting 8 to 12 minutes total. (Brooks' segments don't follow the themes and appear to be recorded a while back.) And thankfully, of all the episodes in the set--"The City on the Edge of Forever," "The Enterprise Incident," and "Balance of Terror" from the Original Series; "In Theory," "Chain of Command," and "Darmok" from The Next Generation; "Far Beyond the Stars," "What You Leave Behind" parts 1 and 2, and "In the Pale Moonlight" from Deep Space Nine; "Counterpoint," "The Omega Directive," and "Flashback" from Voyager; and "Judgment," "These Are the Voyages," and "First Flight" from Enterprise--only "The City on the Edge of Forever" is repeated from a previous Fan Collective, and it's hard to complain about seeing that episode too many times.* --David Horiuchii

i've yet to make it all the way through an episode of any of the later series

still want to own the remastered originals some day

* got that right
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:41 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:

Ok, take Insurrection; the Enterprise-E could have easily beamed up Picard and Ru'afo, while it was making that flyby. Nah, says Riker; let Ru'aufo suck ash.

Ha, suck ash. That’s an accurate statement. What would you do if you had a chance to destroy satan? Insurrection said a lot about many things as it relates to youth and the extents we go to to not die. Ru’afo’s greed got him in the end. He had the best as did those on that planet but chose to want more and used technology to keep himself young. Considering that technology and how he looked it is quite obvious that technology was failing. He wanted that fountain of youth he once had but could not admit to his wrong behavior and tried to steal it. Bad to the bone as you might say.

Perhaps it was time for him to no long make footprints on this planet he hated so much. It seems Riker was right as he was most assuredly returned to those ashes from whence he came.

Jonathan Frakes (William Riker) directed that movie and personally it’s one of my favorites. Gene Roddenberry was truly a gifted individual and Frakes did an excellant job. As it relates to souls, one can observe where the really bright ones are.

Donna Murphy (Anij; ah-neesh) did an excellent job portraying that innocent feminine beauty and had some great lines in which she delivered well. She did such a great job I wanted to take her home and put her on a pedestal and protect her from any harm, ha! That is exactly what Picard and Riker did when they got rid of that so arrogant, and greedy prodigal son. Perhaps the next time around he will not be so greedy, huh! And we all do get a next time. Makes one wonder what he will be then?

William
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:41 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I would love to see how Captain Sisko handles the big screen.

I always wanted Captain Sulu to get more screen time.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:42 am
@DrewDad,
oh my
DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:51 am
@djjd62,
(He'd have been fabulous.)

And killing off Data in a really bad movie was stupid.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:06 am
Well I follow the series since I start reading when I was five...as for Kirk or Picard, they are as day and night...could n´t hate the Jonny Bravo style of Kirk more then I did, or appreciate the deeper deliver that Picard brings to the scope of what a commander is all about...but Spock, well Spock was always my true inspiration since young age !
(He alone makes the series a hit ! )
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:22 am
Captian Kirk never inspired so many awesomely bad dance mixes

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 12:00 pm
@DrewDad,
SWEET!
0 Replies

kotigre

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:31 pm
@Victor Eremita,
It was done to make Picard more popular as Kirk was famous for his "Gun Ho" spirit and Picard was just a boring old guy
Arjuna

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:35 pm
@kotigre,
kotigre wrote:

It was done to make Picard more popular as Kirk was famous for his "Gun Ho" spirit and Picard was just a boring old guy
Maybe so. I see it this way: just as garbage becomes art when you arrange it geometrically, it's more dramatic to see Kirk being sensitive and Picard acting like Dirty Harry. The contrast, man... the contrast.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:48 pm
I always saw Picard as the Thespian and Kirk as the action man.
Sisko an amalgam.
Archer more back to the start.
I just want to go on the record;
I LOVE CAPTAIN KATHRYN JANEWAY