Air-Popped Popcorn

gollum

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:32 pm
Does it taste good? Where do you buy it? Do you need a special machine for it? Where do you buy such a machine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:49 pm
@gollum,
It's kinda of boring, just buy normal popcorn seed, and butter for a topping. It makes it taste like the stuff you're used to. Yes, you need an air popper. You can buy them up here at Canadian Tire, most big food stores, or any place that sells sm. appliances.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 05:53 pm
@gollum,
Taste good? No
Where to buy it? It's not a special type of popcorn. Any brand with work.
Special machine? Yes
Where to get one? Any place that sells kitchen appliances like mixers and toasters.
Eva

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 06:29 pm
@engineer,
It's supposed to be healthier cooked that way. That's why Hubby bought one. Of course, he then puts half a stick of melted butter on top of it, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 06:34 pm
@engineer,
if you can get some white popping corn it is much better than yellow popping corn

(how else can you make popcorn - big ole pot on the stove? hot air is easier to make and easier to clean up after)
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 07:53 pm
@ehBeth,
air popped popcorn makes great R19 insulation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 11:38 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

(how else can you make popcorn - big ole pot on the stove? hot air is easier to make and easier to clean up after)

Judging by the shelves in the grocery store, I'd say most people buy microwave popcorn.
firefly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 12:09 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
Judging by the shelves in the grocery store, I'd say most people buy microwave popcorn.

That's probably the fastest, easiest way to make air-popped popcorn--no clean-up needed, no special appliance involved, and you can get it already butter-flavored.
engineer

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 12:16 pm
@firefly,
I would consider microwave popcorn the same as popcorn prepared in oil. I've had air popped popcorn without any additive other than salt and it is like eating cardboard. I will eat microwave popcorn, but I like going to a local popcorn store that sells fresh oil popped popcorn with just the right amount of salt. A giant bag will last the family a week.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 12:21 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
most people buy microwave popcorn.

Set loves it, so I buy it and will eat an occasional handful, but I call it chemical corn.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 12:33 pm
@ehBeth,
popcorn sticks in my teef.

and air-popped corn makes me mad I took the time to pick the nasty sh*t outta there...

0 Replies