Did you know there is 4-8 lbs of lead in a CRT monitor?

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:09 pm
I didn't...also mercury, cadmium, chromium and arsenic...

(Mods, please move to a more appropriate forum if you deem necessary)

Quote:
Did you get a new computer or television last year? Where is the old one going? Millions of aging televisions and obsolete computers gather cobwebs in basements and attics. Tons more sit in landfills.

Each of those defunct TV sets or computer screens contains a serious problem - a cathode ray tube (CRT) that contains four to eight pounds of lead, plus cadmium, mercury, toxic solvents and chemicals. When old sets and outdated computers are sent to the landfill, they are crushed, creating potential to release heavy metals and other toxic chemicals into the environment.

Old TVs and computers may become toxic waste

One more rather startling statistic:

It was estimated that there were 50,000 PC monitors, 300 main frame computers, and thousands of scanners and fax machines destroyed on 9/11 in the World Trade Center towers (just in WTC1 and WTC 2; never mind the other buildings demolished).

(And our EPA told us that the air in Lower Manahattan was safe to breathe...)

This suggests a serious environmental problem, and it's sitting right in our own homes and offices, not to mention our landfills, water tables, and in the air we are currently breathing.

Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 4
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:39 pm
Thanks for the info, PDiddie, I had no idea that there was lead in a TV or CRT's...another scarry environmental issue.

In regard to the 911 electronic equipment...the possible problems and side effects of the air quality from that day, may not surface for another ten years.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:43 pm
I watched a documentary on China a while ago. On the program they said China is one of the largest buyers of old computer parts. It has become an industry on its own. Poor workers dismantle hardware for sellable parts, ie copper. The usualy method is to burn these components which in turn have poisoned the air and water. It was quite a revealing program and really opened my eyes to increasing problems we now have with all of this "throw away technology".
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:52 pm
Jimmy Breslin, the wonderful New Yawk columnist, has complained about how poorly he has felt in the months since that fateful day and suspects it's because he went without much of a breathing filter, save his shirt sleeve.

Nothing but anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but I suspect that some effects will be noticed sooner than in a decade, color.

A great point you made, Ceili, and the link above indicates exactly that, that countries in Asia wind up as a final resting place for much of this waste and it is burned, in defiance of every international law and agreement.

(BTW, the link seems to be non-functioning mostly; I get there by pasting the URL into the address line, or simply backing up to the home page by backspacing the tail end of it).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:59 pm
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies