Nazi SS Dagger and Metal sheath, what is it worth

sml451

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:09 pm
I have, from my deceased Dad, a knife he got in WWII that he had told my Mom came from an SS soldier or officer. It came with a metal sheath and has an engraving in German on the knife that translates to Blood and Fire. I was wondering what this might be woth and where would I sell it. I live in Holland, Mi. My email is [email protected] if you could anser me there with nazi knife in the subject.

Thanks,
Scott Moser
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,034 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:00 pm
@sml451,
I haven't looked into this in many decades, but the service it was created for will make a lot of difference. They had daggers and other edged weapons for every service and speciality you can think of. Even high level firefighters had their own ceremonial hatchet.
farmerman

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:20 pm
@roger,
Yeh, Knoives can be all over the map, especially japanese and germa WW!! stuff. There are probably hundreds of thousands. My dad came back with several samurai short swords and katanas. Ive never bothered looking em up. Ive got a Bonsa spring loaded parachute knife. I believe it was a nazi tool cause its grey plastic

Im not sure what "blood and Fire" was a motto for, but blood and soil, or blood and struggle etc , were frequently used.
roger

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 03:32 pm
@farmerman,
Blood and Honor was also a common motto.
0 Replies

sml451

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 09:35 am
@roger,
Hi Roger,

All I know is my Mom told me my dad said it was from an SS soldier that was captured. My dad would never talk to me about the war at all except he spent some time in Italy and Africa, and went in on Dday.
0 Replies

sml451

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 09:39 am
@farmerman,
Hi,

I am not sure if it was even a "motto". Might have been that soldiers personal saying. All I know is my Mom told me that me dad said he got it off from a captured SS soldier. He never would talk to me about the war except that he went in on DDay, spent some time in Italy, and also Africa if I remember right. I also have a German walther 9mm that apparently came from the same soldier. I looked up the numbers off it a year ago and it was made in 1943 in Germany. Both my mom and dad are gone so who knows. I just have no use for the knife and sheath and dont even know where to find what it might be worth. The gun works fine so it is my "house" gun.
roger

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 09:57 am
@sml451,
A Dutchman with an SS dagger. There is probably a good story behind that, if only we knew. If it were SS, it would probably have the flashes, which look remarkably like the z's in the band called ZZ Top. They were very big on unit markings on that kind of equipment.
0 Replies