APPS TO SWIPE CREDIT CARDS

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:45 am
Heard of these apps that one can use to take credit cards using a smart phone. ANybody have experience??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 6,038 • Replies: 38
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:48 am
@farmerman,
I've bought stuff with them before. (As in, I didn't own the app/ hardware, but used my credit card to buy something from someone who does.)

It went smoothly.

It does seem to require the swiper hardware too, not just the app. The ones I've seen anyway.

This might be it:

https://squareup.com/
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:49 am
We deal with these at work frequently - sometimes, the merchant fees are REALLY high.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:52 am
@farmerman,
http://payments.intuit.com/products/basic-payment-solutions/mobile-credit-card-processing.jsp
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:54 am
@sozobe,
HA! That was the one, My wife had never taken credit cards at her fibre sales and therefire had missed a few sales at he shows. (She was just bummed at the lousy service and the constant fees from the swipey thingey manufacturer (not the credit card, since -they were actually separate entities) One of my wifes competitors (and buddies) showed up with one this year at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival so now we want to use it since everyone has claimed a good experience
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 11:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
you mean the merchant selling the product? or the bank? (Our bank processing fees for Visa and MC are not bad actually but the fees that stung were the card swipey company that interacted with Visa MC. My wife totally quit taking credit cards and "passed those savings on to her customer"
However, seems as the depression is winding down, the whole thing of "Convenience v Val;ue" is tipping back to the side of convenience.
This weekend, at the Md Show, people didnt want to run to an ATM (the fairhrounds installed 4 of em with 8 hour refill schedules). They wanted her to take plastic. SO she probab;y lost a few thousand bucks of sales
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:00 pm
@DrewDad,
The Innuit seems to want an iphone. I have an iPhone but my wifes is somekinda small fruit.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:01 pm
@farmerman,
The square reader takes 2.75%

Intuit will take 1.7-3.7% depending on whether you subscribe and whether the card is swiped or keyed in.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
The little robot icon indicates it's compatible with Android.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:03 pm
@DrewDad,
oops,
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Intuit's $12.95 monthly fee basically knocks 1% off of your transactions fees.

So unless you do over $1295 in transactions per month, it doesn't make sense.

Mind you, I'm not advocating any particular product. Intuit just popped up when I googled "credit card payment processing cell phone."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:14 pm
@farmerman,
dude

www.wufoo.com

Set yourself up a website where people can pay online. There are a variety of terminals you can use on the back-end, including Paypal; then just have a laptop or smartphone at the event and have them input their data on the spot. If you're talking thousands of dollars of sales lost, it's worth the time.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
WOAH!! This is major. I see where one of my loverly wifes sales girls can just be processing swipes and that could speed things up nicely and mean even more commerce getting , uh.... commerced.
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:49 pm
Why do you wanna steal people's credit cards, and do you need an application for it?
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:52 pm
@Setanta,
Evilness shall prevail. DONT YOU KNOW--you are the dmaned also. SO lets have some more cookies NOW. ACtually I meant that you are ALSO the damned (being that inclusivity was implied to all and each of those who ... uh ...are of the non Christian belief persuasion)

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:54 pm
Will chocolate-chip, oatmeal cookies satisfy your insatiable greed?
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:55 pm
@Setanta,
OATMEAL?? jezus H. set, thats a food group not a cookie
Ceili

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Awesome idea!!
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:17 pm
@farmerman,
Aren't cookies also a food group? how many food groups are there nowadays, anyway?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 02:01 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

WOAH!! This is major. I see where one of my loverly wifes sales girls can just be processing swipes and that could speed things up nicely and mean even more commerce getting , uh.... commerced.

I really recommend it. We use it a lot at my business and the program is solid and smooth, you can customize the hell out of your forms and there's a minimum of bullshit - just money in the bank, week after week. You can customize the site to look just like you want it and fill up a database full of contacts when you are taking your orders too.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies