Should I stick with T-Mobile? Even if they might go belly up?

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 09:14 am
My cheapass Sony-Eriksson flipphone (AKA dumbphone) died yesterday afternoon (the screen plus went kaput). The timing is near perfect (or is it?) as I am coming to the end of my 2 year T-Mobile contract.

I heard that T-Mobile is in danger of going belly up on this Sunday's TWIT podcast.

From a consumer perspective would I benefit in continuing to stay with T-Mobile? Should I get a new phone and two year contract even if they might go belly up in the coming year or so and most likely their customer base picked up by another carrier?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
roger

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:21 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm reasonably certain that who ever takes over the customer base will continue to maintain the contract. It is even likely they will be required to, and that's if they actually do fold.

I use a cheap ass LG with Tracfone. Great pricing for my minimal useage. Since the itsy bitsy little speaker must be perfectly aligned with the ear canal, I have to remove the hearing aid to use it as the microscopic microphones won't align with the speaker, and even if they did, they are located above the ear.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 12:18 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I'm reasonably certain that who ever takes over the customer base will continue to maintain the contract. It is even likely they will be required to, and that's if they actually do fold

I expect something along the lines of any company taking over the accounts would uphold the contract for the most part before changing it a year or so down the line to make it align with their own contracts. Market any changes to appear to the consumer that they're getting benefit from said contract changes.
0 Replies

DrewDad
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 12:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
I feel like a lone voice crying in the wind: "Virgin Mobile....."

$35/month. No contract. Unlimited data. Unlimited texting.

Use Skype and you never run out of minutes....
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 01:28 pm
@DrewDad,

Thanks DrewDad. Very Happy I'm going to Best Buy after work to see if they have a few Virgin Mobile phones and how easy it is to transfer my phone number as well as the contact info from my T-Mobile phone.

And thankfully I'll never use up the 300 minutes for the $35 a month plan. So I'm glad the savings will come from that department rather then the texting and data departments which are far more important to me phone wise.
roger

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 01:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
I suppose $35/month sounds reasonable to many. Not to me, and as my useage is normally quite low, tracfone continues to be my choice. Different situations, I suppose. My only objection is the limited choice of phones. I don't have much use for cameras, videos, and what have you. I do care about the quality of the speaker.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sam's does Virgin Mobile, too, but they don't advertise it much.

I ended up getting the LG Optimus V directly from Virgin, though.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:44 pm
@roger,
I loved Tracfone when my only need was voice and the occasional text. Averaged about $15 a month.

But continuous access to E-mail, Internet, and GPS has made life a lot easier for me.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:46 pm
@DrewDad,
Also, I'm currently grandfathered in under the original $25/month plan; unless and until I get a new phone, I'm good.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:43 pm
@DrewDad,
I got the LG Optimus Slider phone from Virgin. The $35 a month plan. Thanks for the very helpful advice DD! Very Happy
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm past needing a new phone.

how much up front cost...?

and how is their signal in the boonies?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:53 pm
@Rockhead,
You buy the phone. I splurged for the $200 plus tax plus a year's service warranty. But they have much cheaper phones as well. I wanted a beginner's smartphone with a physical keyboard.

US coverage map:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage
The service is based on the Sprint Network.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'll look into who handles them local and see what happens.

I paid big bucks to leave vorizon once, and 6 months later they bought the folks I switched to.

but my contract is over 2 years up...
0 Replies