Am I the LAST person on Earth to Hear Kimbra/Gotye do "Somebody"?

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 12:53 pm

OMG....this is blow your hair back good. It seems that I do actually live under a rock!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,504 • Replies: 34
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:05 pm
I have never heard of the artist(s) or the song, and judging by the still picture on that embedded video I don't think I want to. The one on the right looks a bit hatchet-faced.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:17 pm
@contrex,
My daughter put some Kimbra on my facebook wall a few months back...I looked at some videos and interviews and pronounced her talented. I also saw where she was coming to America for a couple of months to try to make it here, cause while she was a hit in Oz being the best new female artist of an island (ARIAs) is not that big a deal. I hoped that the "made it" because I want to hear more.

But Gotye? This song? This video?....daughter neglected to mention any of this. Now this song is #1 in America, they have already done it on Saturday Night Live and Kimmel....I feel like the last to know.

Not quite the last I now see.
Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Love the original. This is a pretty cool cover of the song.

Green Witch

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:50 pm
@contrex,
No. You do want to listen. Really.
I don't like all of his music, but this one is extremely good.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:52 pm
@Ceili,
Love it.

I wish that the chick had the pipes to pull it off though. I dont think many could, as Kimbra is wicked good on range and smooth transitions.

We need more like her, solo female pop artists who sound pretty damn good even without Auto-Tune.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:10 pm
i wouldn't turn it off if it was playing in a store or an elevator

has a certain peter gabrielish quality about it, i remember really liking him in the 80's
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:17 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
has a certain peter gabrielish quality about it

Many people agree with you....But he could never do an emotional knock out like "Somebody"....
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:39 pm
At the moment, for me, nobody can touch Lourdes Hernandez ("Russian Red").
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:45 pm
@Green Witch,
I don't like all his music either. I love Somebody but there's not much else on this album. His earlier album - Like Drawing blood - is much better. Heart's a Mess on that album is a classic.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:51 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Pearlylustre wrote:

I don't like all his music either. I love Somebody but there's not much else on this album. His earlier album - Like Drawing blood - is much better. Heart's a Mess on that album is a classic.

It is not just the song....the video is a masterpiece. You would never in a thousand years get a star to be on set mostly nude as many hours as Kimbra was in order to get this shoot done. Both in the video and on stage these two get the emotion pitch perfect, which goes a long way to making this song great. I love that hard edge that comes out in vocals, facials, and other non verbal communication....just right.

I have not heard anything else of Gotye that I love, but from Kimbra we have "Settle Down" and "Good intent". She added 4 tracks to Vows for the US May 22 release which I am looking forward to hearing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Gotye says that at the end of the shoot he had been awake 26 hours, and the shoot required standing against the board for up to 7 hours at a time without moving. Kimbra has also given interviews where she talks about how grueling the shoot was, but she also says that it became "worth it" when the song catapulted both of their careers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qd_lnzc-0&feature=relmfu
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 12:58 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I have not heard anything else of Gotye that I love

Amendment: I REALLY like "hearts a mess"....the more I hear it the more I like it. Still, Kimbra blows him away with "good intent" and "settle down"....
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:18 am
@hawkeye10,
If you are not the last person, maybe you are just the last person who listens to music. This song is so popular it was covered on Glee a month ago. (But thanks for posting the video.)
djjd62

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:19 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
it was covered on Glee a month ago.

well that explains one way i missed it
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:46 am
@djjd62,
I don't watch Glee either. As far as the song goes, I wouldn't rush to turn it off, but I wouldn't be upset if I was told I could never hear it again. I think it's alright.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:48 am
@hawkeye10,
This started showing up on Facebook a while ago -- I think my college-aged cousin was the first. Like, last summer or something.

Then it keeps showing up at intervals as someone new finds it.

Sozlet finally started hearing it on the radio fairly recently, like 1-2 months ago, and thought it was amazing.

The lyrics are good/ sad, the actual singing is pretty much lost on me of course (I get a flavor from the video).
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 09:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
This isn't Hawk with the kids is it?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:23 am
Quote:
VOWS
KIMBRA
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Lead Performance: Kimbra; Genre: Pop; Production: Warner Bros.

It's no wonder Gotye tapped Kimbra as the object of his obsessive longing on the chart-topping single ''Somebody That I Used to Know.'' After all, who wouldn't get hung up on the New Zealand sprite's bewitching wail and gift for teleporting spryly across the sonic pop spectrum?

Gotye's inescapable hit is actually a misleading entry point into Kimbra's universe; her sparkling debut wants little to do with his bleeding-heart Sting-isms. She's more interested in multiculti chaos, darting between musical branches and gleefully snatching the juiciest fruits: funked-out horns, orchestral indie shimmer, radio bounce, sexy cabaret slink. She shifts effortlessly from harmonizing with herself a cappella to growling over a hiccupy hand-clap groove, before bursting into a dance- and-shout refrain — and that's just the opening track, ''Settle Down.''

The rest of Vows is equally fresh and surprising, its genre leaps held together by Kimbra's pliant coo — a remarkably expressive instrument that can evoke toughness, heartbreak, and humor over the course of a single line. Her earnestness on the breezy ''Two Way Street'' is disarming, though ''Something in the Way You Are'' proves she's also a pro at plumbing psychological depths. But even when she's playing mind games, she's still somebody you'll want to know.

Entertainment Weekly Grade A

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20596209,00.html

Cant wait to hear the four new tracks. Oldest daughter is getting it for me for my birthday.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 03:40 am
@hawkeye10,
No. I am just seeing it here and now. Oddly, I have seen a film ABOUT it, but not the beast itself. The artist is from Adelaide, as am I, and there was a little video about her painting him and they discuss the piece.

It's pretty cool. I need to look at it on my computer because the sound is much better than on my iPad.
0 Replies