Am I the LAST person on Earth to Hear Kimbra/Gotye do "Somebody"?

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 07:44 am
@hawkeye10,
So which one is Kimbra and which one is Gotye?
Ceili

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 09:40 am
@DrewDad,
Kimbra - girl
Gotye - boy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 02:38 am
I saw on the 20/20 piece (Australian TV) that Mark Richardson of Forum 5 Records not only paid for the making of Vows, but also paid all of Kimbra's living expenses for FOUR YEARS. Other sources claim that Mark joined others in pressing Kimbra to hold off on releasing Vows until she had her point of view down in her music. This is SOOOO unlike what remains of the American record industry, which is largely unwilling to invest time or money into new artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5rj4oM5lL0&feature=related 7:30
DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 07:14 am
@hawkeye10,
American Idol does take most of a season. How can you say that they don't invest time?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 03:53 pm
Although the list of Gotye parodies is long, this one is worth a watch.

Some QB that I used to know (about Peyton Manning)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 11:34 am
For the Kimbra fans out there, here is her first recording from ten years ago

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 01:15 pm
Sad to say Kimbra whiffed this one...chart placement has gone 14, 47, 129. Gotye is at 24 after 24 weeks on the charts.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 01:46 pm
I have a teenager and she played it for the first time months ago - in the meantime I've heard it ad nauseam. One of our local radio stations plays it about every hour or so.... why do they have to play everything to death?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 01:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I have a teenager and she played it for the first time months ago - in the meantime I've heard it ad nauseam. One of our local radio stations plays it about every hour or so.... why do they have to play everything to death?

Because it is extremely popular with audiences. Dont get me started on how dismal American radio has become though unless you want to hear me say yet again that America is in steep decline, or that capitalism as it is currently practiced is fatally flawed.

"Somebody" is currently the #2 pop song in America after 15 weeks on the charts.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 06:49 pm
Kept hearing it all over Portugal and France too, which was weird because I thought it was just a local Oz hit, that had already peaked here. Biggest Oz hit since Men At Work? Mrs Hinge loves it. I prefer Hearts A Mess.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 07:06 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Kept hearing it all over Portugal and France too, which was weird because I thought it was just a local Oz hit, that had already peaked here. Biggest Oz hit since Men At Work? Mrs Hinge loves it. I prefer Hearts A Mess.

Biggest OZ hit ever by one messure.... I think it was weeks @ #1. I am pretty sure too that Kimbra must be about the most successful Kiwi pop artist ever already.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:39 pm

Is it time yet??
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 08:12 pm

A pretty good parody.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 08:34 pm
@hingehead,
A few years ago I went to the local folkfest. Colin Hay was one of the headliners. He broke a string paying Down Under. He stopped playing and the crowd kept singing, the entire song. I was back stage, later we sat together and talked. He choked up when he recalled the moment. He knew the song had been popular here, but he had no idea to what account.
Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:58 pm
@Ceili,
Men at Work was the first concert I ever went to as a teenager - at our local sports centre in 1982.
The death of Greg Ham earlier this year was very very sad.
0 Replies