Blind Owl Can See Again-with lenses

quinn1

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:50 am
Blind Owl Can See Again -Full Article

Quote:
The Associated Press
Updated: 11:16 a.m. ET Feb. 12, 2004MADISON, Wis. - A great horned owl found starving in the wild because it had gone blind could be released this spring after having new lenses implanted in its eyes.

The owl, named Minerva by medical personnel, underwent two hours of eye surgery last month, and Dr. Chris Murphy said she was in good condition during a follow-up exam Wednesday.

"Perfect," said Murphy, a board-certified veterinary ophthalmologist. "Ounce for ounce, this is considered one of the toughest birds on the face of the Earth."

Cataracts the problem
Minerva was found in emaciated condition in early December, after someone told wildlife rehabilitators Sue and Jerry Theys that an owl had been sitting on a fence for three days.

Sue Theys, who netted the owl, said she suspected the owl had cataracts. After a local veterinarian confirmed the diagnosis, the couple brought the owl to Murphy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 8
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:51 am
The article goes on... an amazing story
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:52 am
http://www.falconrycentre.com/owlglasses.jpg

Very Happy
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 10:59 am
giggles!

that would work too I suppose

Wink
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:14 pm
We have messed with ourselves in a way that nature didn't intend, but don't you think that we've gone a little too far in augmenting animals?

I'm not saying that I don't feel bad for the poor bird, but if he manages to mate any more, there is a greater risk that his offspring will inherit the genes that made him susceptible to the cataracts. And we definitely don't need anymore blind birds flying around.
0 Replies

jora

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:07 am
It's great that we have the technology and caring individuals to help these animals. They're the ones that are too often forgotten in this people obssessed world. If we have the means to do it, there's no sense in not doing it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:24 pm
wow, what a great story! Nice counter-weight to all thwe hell in the world.

Jora - I love your MST avatar.
0 Replies

jora

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:33 pm
Why thank you, littlek! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:20 am
Oops! I thought this was a funny story about pueo!
0 Replies