[resolved]Reporting potential problem ads

Monger

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:59 am
Craven, what do you think of this ad:

www.burstnet.com/gifs/winguides_rm_recommended_download_banner_021004.gif

which links to this page:

www.winguides.com/software/download.php?id=42&ref=Burst

When the winguides page loads, it immediately attempts an .exe download. Not that I think their software is anything malicious (although I haven't tried installing it), but in case you don't want immediate download prompts I thought I'd report it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,289 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:48 am
I'm not going to click on it!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 08:57 am
Its benign. Pushy, mebbe, linking directly to the download page instead of the outfit's splash page, but benign. WinGuides is a reputable firm, and their products are safe and reliable, with generally good reviews. They've been around for several years ... since at least the mid-'90s, I think, in their current incarnation. Their forum is a pretty good information resource.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:05 am
As long as the ad itself has no prompt I am not too concerned.

My personal guideline is no download prompt here on A2K ever. We won't do it and won't ever let advertisers do it.

But what they have on their site is their prerogative. It's just a bit pushy as Timber says, and since it's pushy on their site (and not here) I don't mind.

Now if it were a known malicious (or even just spyware) program they'd be blocked whether or not they prompt on their site.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:20 am
I edited out "[answered]" from this thread's title. Feel free to add it again (or I will) after reading the following...

Craven, would you want to remove this ad banner...

http://cserver.mii.instacontent.net/fastclick/cid9567/media30833.gif

which links to...

http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?cid=9567&mid=30833&sid=11529&m=1&c=0

and redirects here...

www.creditgift.com/landings/landing_red_01.jsp?&product_id=11&pid=3&cid=895&lid=100

..?

It one of those horrible, flashing "WINNER!!! You've just WON a FREE..." ads.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:28 am
I filtered out that campaign, thanks for the heads up. It'll take up to an hour to be removed from the rotation.

BTW, there's a new network 24-7 media. So if you see ones with "realmedia" it's the new fellas.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:31 pm
Hey Craven, I just got a pop-up (File Download prompt) to download "burst.js" from "results.cafefind.net" when an ad for a LA.Com contest came up in the right side ad bar.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:14 pm
Thanks, off to hunt bad advertisers.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:21 pm
Wasn't LA.com to the best I can tell. Sounds to me like it was more of a malfunction than anything else. It's have to be real ugly scumware for a Javascript to be worthwhile for a prompt.

IMO it was a remote javascript for the actual banner display gone awry.

Please lemme know if ya see it, and please let me know whats's in the 480X60s aas well. If they are image (and not flash) you should also be able to tell me what network, that would really help, as we use many and it's really really hard to narrow them down.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:26 pm
Okies. Nothing came up in the 480X60 ad space on that particular page but I'll keep an eye out if it comes up again.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:28 pm
Hmm you mean a blank space? If anything sounds like that was the culprit.

If it does can you right click on the blank space and check the url in the properties? Even if nothing loads it's an iframe so it might load the page that's supposed to load the ad. Knowing what page could solve it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:31 pm
I tried right clicking up where the ad space should be but it was like nothing was there at all. The "properties" listed were for the entire A2K page instead of a banner ad.

That's the first time I've ever seen anything like that here. I has just clicked on the "Unanswered" threads link and it came up with the new page of unanswered threads.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:35 pm
That's really odd, it should at least have pointed to http://www.able2know.com/ads/adframe.php?n=ada3e762&what=zone:69

If you look at the page source, there's a burst.js external javascript that loads off of a2k. This is for the burst network ads. Any chance that was it?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:38 pm
Sounds like that's exactly what it was....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:42 pm
Wonder why it promped you for download... I can't even imagine how that would be possible.

It downloads and executes every time the page loads, just like any javascript, and shouldn't prompt....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 02:47 pm
I got a couple and ignored until I saw you guys posting.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:02 pm
Just picked this up - only place I been is here - I/S was just here for about 45 minutes cleaned everything up and wham bam..

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/promo/ushppopoutwin/ES.HD-WildOrchidQuilts-StartingAt44dollars-

ES.HD-WildOrchidQuilts-StartingAt44dollars-PlusFreeShipping-275x300.gif
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:03 pm
husker,

Can you elaborate? What does "picked this up" entail?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:26 pm
Seem to be popping up on my screen just got another from TrafficMarketplace

http://spe.atdmt.com/b/AAAVEWEWAWWA/720x300_red_carbs_static.gif
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:32 pm
Husker, IMO what you describe is not related to A2K.
0 Replies