Sluts across America (and beyond)

roger

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 07:49 pm
@chai2,
In Freakonomics, Levitt offered the hypothesis that current lowered crime rates seem to date from the coming of age of kids who were not born as a result of Roe vs Wade. If he's wrong, it is certainly a remarkable coincidence.

I do recommend Freakonomics and it's follow up Super Freakonomics if anyone is interested.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:01 pm
@roger,
kids who were not born of roe versus wade.

Please explain.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:11 pm
When you click on the black slut in various areas, the message will pop up.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I believe he is saying that once abortion was made available to poor women they had fewer children, including the demographics who tend to commit crimes: poor, young, and male . Thus legalized abortion lowered the crime rate.
roger

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:35 pm
@Green Witch,
Yes, though not specifically children of poor women. The connection was made to children born to women or couples who just didn't want children for various reasons. The final sentence accurately describes the hypothesis.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:39 pm
@roger,
Yes, I could see by just eliminating the offspring of parents who don't want to be parents you would get fewer screwed up young people prone to anti-social behavior.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm
@boomerang,
This is awesome! A Slut Map. Where was this when I was in my 20's and could actually use it Wink
chai2

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 01:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

When you click on the black slut in various areas, the message will pop up.

I can't even get the slut map.

I put in my zip, click on the small google map that shows up, and I'm taken back to the main screen.

I can just get that one screen.

What's goin' on?
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 01:54 pm
@chai2,
I think they want to keep Texas pure from all that slutty evil :-)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 01:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I just posted on SAA [Single Action Army Revolver??] the following:

I wanted to be sterilized 30 years ago, I never wanted children.
A kindly dr knew I'd change my mind 1 day. 30 years later I'm
childfree & pissed that others said they knew better than me.
Did u sue him for malpractice ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:17 pm
@ossobuco,
reread, now I get it. Duh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:30 pm
I re-looked at the local map you see when you click on the website url, and yayyy, there is already a slut at the Petroglyph State Park.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 07:18 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

In Freakonomics, Levitt offered the hypothesis that current lowered crime rates seem to date from the coming of age of kids who were not born as a result of Roe vs Wade. If he's wrong, it is certainly a remarkable coincidence.

I do recommend Freakonomics and it's follow up Super Freakonomics if anyone is interested.

In the 19th century the crime rates were high? If yes, there was little single parenting then, just poverty.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 08:10 pm
@rosborne979,
It is kind of the opposite of those online sexual offender registries.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:38 pm
Well I found this late. I can't find the slut site!!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:53 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

A new map allows you to enter your zip code and displays your support for reproductive rights: http://www.slutsacrossamerica.org/

You're also invited to write a few words about why you support birth control.

I thought some of you might be interested in adding your icon!

the site still pops up and offers the same invitation
glitterbag

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 06:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Great, I found it thanks to ehbeth.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 08:35 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

If you liked reading Freakonomics, you might also like Malcom Gladwell's books.

Anyway, the hypothesis of lower crime, due to less young adults from unwanted pregnancies, is avoiding the other angle that some women utilize pregnancy to finagle a male into marriage, and if abortion allows a woman to move on after one relationship (with preganancy) does not end in marriage, then that woman is free to continue hunting for a marriageable male, via the bait of pregnancy. In effect, abortion may allow for a less than ethical manner to continue the hunt for a husband, in my opinion.
boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 07:01 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
some women utilize pregnancy to finagle a male into marriage

How does that lead to crime?
roger

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 07:07 pm
@Foofie,
If he's the one that did Tipping Point, or something like that, he had some interesting thoughts, but maybe a little less researched than Levitt. Just an opinion.
0 Replies