Characteristics of God

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 09:58 am
At another forum site a very thoughtful Spectrum deviates slightly OT by discussing not Her definition but Her characteristics, so herewith an OP to open the topic for further discussion. He asserts,

Quote:
But God per-se does not has any limitation, i.e. God is supposed to be omnipresent,

The apodicictical existential pantheist endorses the idea. Obviously if She is everything, then She is everywhere at all times. The idea of matter on one hand and an Immaterial Being on the other is dualistic while of corse Dualism is rife with contradictions and paradoxes

Quote:
omnipotent,

No. She obviously can’t do the impossible because the impossible can’t be done. If She could, for instance, She might make Herself both exist and not exist

Quote:
omniscient,

Not if you accept “free will”. If She were omnicient then we’d have to assume She knows the future in its entirety, in which case determinism is the case and free will is dead. While the Determinist has a pretty solid argument we can’t live with it else we’d be constantly subdued in a state of hopeless funk

Quote:
and omnibenevolent.

Purely a semantic issue. Benevolence is relative to the observer. To the porker intelligence would be considered a curse and we would be considered manifestly evil for hanging him up by his hind legs and slitting his throat so he bleeds to death, then slaughtering and eating him

The porker would be more kindly. He might round us up and keep us in muddy pens but he wouldn’t torture us

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:25 am
imaginary

Joe(that about say it all)Nation
dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:31 am
@Joe Nation,
Why, thank you Joe

I think
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:49 am
@dalehileman,
You're welcome.
Once you start with "imaginary" then, of course, all limits are off.

I hope, if you are going to start over, and I hope you are, that you come up with something better than the pathetically cruel Son-of-a-Bitch people conjured up a couple a thousand years ago.

Really.
Joe(what a loser)Nation
dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@Joe Nation,
Thanks again Joe but you’ll have to elucidate the ref to “imaginary” for the benefit of an oldster with incipient Alz's
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:12 am
@dalehileman,
What about 'imaginary' do you not understand?

Joe(~•~)Nation
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:22 am
It may be, Joe, that this member takes it as given that there is a god, and therefore is confused by the use of the term imaginary. He doesn't understand what you are referring to.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 12:16 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
What about 'imaginary' do you not understand?

Merely what it is you specify as imaginary

Quote:
that this member takes it as given that there is a god,
No but thanks Set
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 01:22 pm
@dalehileman,
The title of this thread is : Characteristics of God.

I say there is only one:

God is imaginary.

That is the only characteristic.

Joe(I hope that is clear)Nation
dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 03:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Sure, that’s OK Joe, you’re allowed

Where Science and Reason fall flat we’re forced to depend upon Intuition. But mine says there’s something more to the Universe than the simple random bouncing of particles off one another
rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 03:48 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Where Science and Reason fall flat we’re forced to depend upon Intuition.
In what way or instance have Science and Reason failed for you?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 04:21 pm
The following are the characteristics of god:

thack45

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 05:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
oh... that guy. i think he's posted here in other threads. he always says the same thing...

God wrote:

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 06:29 pm
@thack45,
Is that because its speaking in a frequency only audible in an alternate universe??

Joe(THUS SPAKE,,,,um ,,,,,, ... ah .. ERM....)Nation
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 03:29 am
MY GUESS is that theists do not know if there is a GOD…or anything about the characteristics of any GOD or gods that do exist, if any exist.

MY GUESS is that atheists do not know if there is a GOD either…nor anything about the characteristics of any gods that do exist, if any exist.

Interesting takes you all have on this.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
My guess is that Frank missed his calling as a southern baptist minister.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:04 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
In what way or instance have Science and Reason failed for you?

I don’t have anything against Science and Reason. What I meant to express Ros, somewhat haltingly I must concede, where they don’t provide answers we’re left with Intuition
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
My guess is that Frank missed his calling as a southern baptist minister.

My guess is that you do not guess that at all.

My guess is you were being compulsive about wanting to insult me...were at a loss for an appropriate insult...and you made do with that.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
MY GUESS is that theists do not know if there is a GOD…or anything about the characteristics of any GOD or gods that do exist, if any exist……atheists…...either…
That’s right Frank (emphasis mine), we’re in an area of almost pure intuition

Quote:
Interesting takes you all have on this.
Yes I agree, quite a thoughtful crowd
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 02:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Take it as an insult, if you choose to see it that way. I am basing the post on what I read by you and nothing else.