Characteristics of God

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 03:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Take it as an insult, if you choose to see it that way. I am basing the post on what I read by you and nothing else.

Edgar, I love ya, Buddy. But there is absolutely nothing whatsoever in what I have said here in this thread or anywhere else, that would lead you to a comment like, " My guess is that Frank missed his calling as a southern baptist minister.”

I was a gratuitous remark…intended as an insult. It was not a devastating insult...actually a rather mild one, but an intended insult nonetheless.

Own up to it. You will feel better.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 04:28 pm
I would not insult you in so serious a manner. I might call you names in fun. But, here, I see the same obsessive compulsion to preach the message I have seen all my life in Baptist gatherings. Not the same message - the same fervent conviction that must proselytize.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I would not insult you in so serious a manner. I might call you names in fun. But, here, I see the same obsessive compulsion to preach the message I have seen all my life in Baptist gatherings. Not the same message - the same fervent conviction that must proselytize.

Edgar...here is what I wrote:

MY GUESS is that theists do not know if there is a GOD…or anything about the characteristics of any GOD or gods that do exist, if any exist.

MY GUESS is that atheists do not know if there is a GOD either…nor anything about the characteristics of any gods that do exist, if any exist.

Interesting takes you all have on this.

All I am saying is that I do not know...and I guess you others do not know also.

To morph that into what a "southern baptist preacher" does makes no sense...and I GUESS you know that. But you are too committed to correct the insult.

Okay. No problem. I love ya anyway.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:41 pm
I am not basing my statement on this thread, only, but on years of reading you. It is my observation and you may take it or leave it. I hope you will not write me off of your list of friends.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:44 pm
Given the fervor, Frank, with which you preach your particular creed, i can't say that EB is far off in the comparison.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 07:55 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Where Science and Reason fall flat we’re forced to depend upon Intuition. But mine says there’s something more to the Universe than the simple random bouncing of particles off one another
Why would your intuition lead you to think that?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:41 pm
MY GUESS is that theists do not know if there is a GOD…or anything about the characteristics of any GOD or gods that do exist, if any exist.

MY GUESS is that atheists do not know if there is a GOD either…nor anything about the characteristics of any gods that do exist, if any exist.

Interesting takes you all have on this.

I do not have to guess what the theists say they know, just like the only vegan at a barbecue, they will let me know what they believe.
The rest of it, for me, is moot, it matters not to me if someone wants to deny that an imaginary being does not exist. (Say that out loud until you figure out what I'm saying.) Or wants to proclaim anything as true simply based on conjecture.

My conjecture is this: someone started this thread to discuss the characteristics of god. I say, again, that the only characteristic shared by all gods is that they are imaginary until otherwise proven real.

Joe(but you can still see right through them)Nation
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:39 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I am not basing my statement on this thread, only, but on years of reading you. It is my observation and you may take it or leave it. I hope you will not write me off of your list of friends.

It would be silly of me to write you off as a friend simply because you saw a need to make this gratuitous insult, Edgar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:40 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Given the fervor, Frank, with which you preach your particular creed, i can't say that EB is far off in the comparison.

Same for you, Setanta.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:42 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I do not have to guess what the theists say they know, just like the only vegan at a barbecue, they will let me know what they believe.

I did not talk about what they say they know...but about what they say they "believe."

Quote:
The rest of it, for me, is moot, it matters not to me if someone wants to deny that an imaginary being does not exist. (Say that out loud until you figure out what I'm saying.) Or wants to proclaim anything as true simply based on conjecture.

Then why are you commenting on it?

Quote:
My conjecture is this: someone started this thread to discuss the characteristics of god. I say, again, that the only characteristic shared by all gods is that they are imaginary until otherwise proven real.

That is very interesting. The yawn had to do with being tired, not bored.
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sure Frank, right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Don't take it as an insult, but an honest observation. At least you don't talk in tongues.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
that they are imaginary until otherwise proven real.
However Frank, because nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else, there’s no dividing line between total lack of argument and absolute proof. In fact some Believers maintain that they indeed do possess The Truth
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 07:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
That is very interesting. The yawn had to do with being tired, not bored.

Good. Sleep.
Now, can the non-acidic persons here have a discussion?

Joe(that would be something)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 07:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
I started out, past grammar school inculcation, agreeing with Aquinas re first cause, which could be stretched to what dalehileman thinks, or I think he thinks.

That's a tease as I'm sleepy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 02:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Can i play if i promise to take antacids first?
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 03:56 am
@Setanta,
When I wrote "non-acidic" people, my first though was:
"What about the non-Hasidic people? "

Some people like the idea of an infinite god.
I like the idea of an infinite universe.
What's the difference?
One of them exists, at least, presently.

Joe(yeahyeah, IF existence is real, I know)Nation Smile
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 04:00 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I like the idea of an infinite universe.
What's the difference?
One of them exists, at least, presently.

Joe(yeahyeah, IF existence is real, I know)Nation

You may want to talk to Fresco. I'm OK with that myself.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 07:29 am
@Setanta,
There's a sign hanging on the edge of the infinite universe that reads:
"No Infinite Gods needed. Thanks so much."

Joe(I don't know where they are needed)Nation
dalehileman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 02:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
Fells an infinite Universe raises the ire of Intuition which insists on the absurdity of an infinite number of each possible Universe. If you can resolve it however………..
0 Replies