What is 'formlessness'?

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:40 pm
can you define it? and what fields of study does it belong in?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,388 • Replies: 12
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 05:25 am
@comfyblanket,
cloud formations
JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Cloud formations have shape or form. Perhaps a fog that is surrounding me is more formless. And maybe we should define "formlessness" as a distinct object of perception that has no form or shape.
Trying to identify the "essential" nature of "formlessness" is putting the cart before the horse. I once tried to correct for this error by identifying a "puppy" with the hypothetical situation of one man asking another "How should we refer to a young dog?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 06:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Cloud formations have shape or form. Perhaps a fog that is surrounding me is more formless. And maybe we should define "formlessness" as a distinct object of perception that has no form or shape.
Trying to identify the "essential" nature of "formlessness" is putting the cart before the horse. I once tried to correct for this error by identifying a "puppy" with the hypothetical situation of one man asking another "How should we refer to a young dog?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 09:10 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Trying to identify the "essential" nature of "formlessness" is putting the cart before the horse.

...from your very own assumed judgement, what cart ? what horse ? "identifying" what that has no "essential" to it ? "A" that it is not A ? at best you get to multiply, not to exclude as you get 2 instead of one...
...if there is such a self consistent thing we phenomenally identify as "formlessness" without falling in a conceptual misunderstanding, such thing is exactly to report no the absence of shape but the presence of many shapes occurring as we observe "sharpness change"...
rockpie

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 03:40 am
Off the top of my head, I'd go with 'that which cannot be either perceived or conceived'. Anything that exists (and I use that word without the etymological baggage) has form. At the very least on the atomic or sub-atomic level. So formlessness would have to be a complete lack of anything. Including thought about it.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 01:45 pm
@rockpie,
Interesting!
0 Replies

33export

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 02:48 pm
@comfyblanket,
Quote:
what fields of study does it belong in

More than likely in abstract topology. Here's a good overview of the concept.
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 08:12 pm
Since all forms are formless if you magnify large enough, therefore formlessness is the essence of form. You should study Quantum Physics.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 03:34 am
@comfyblanket,
comfyblanket wrote:

can you define it? and what fields of study does it belong in?

I always figured things like, thoughts were formless. They seem to arrise from out of complete nothingness and flow like a stream back into the nothingness. Sure there are things that may spark an idea but they still seem to arrise from no where and also "return" to that same "place".
0 Replies

zDamien

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 06:06 am
@comfyblanket,
After death, the last formality will be filling out your death certificate. The last form having been filed, you're in the state of formlessness.
0 Replies

G H

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 12:08 pm
@comfyblanket,
Quote:
can you define it?

(a) Components or substance arranged into a pattern judged random -- not classifiable or identifiable as a standardized or documented shape / scheme.

(b) Extended but featureless uniformity devoid of discernable change to even indicate movement in space and time.

(c) Lack of space. No room for individuation and distinction to be mapped / manifested, for enabling separation while maintaining connection via extended relations that result in variable configurations. No room for featureless homogeneity, either.

Quote:
and what fields of study does it belong in?

Billy Mumy's cornfield (It's A Good Life, TZ). Non-consciousness studies. Post-life studies. Dreamless sleep studies. BS studies.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 01:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Quote:
Trying to identify the "essential" nature of "formlessness" is putting the cart before the horse.

...from your very own assumed judgement, what cart ? what horse ? "identifying" what that has no "essential" to it ? "A" that it is not A ? at best you get to multiply, not to exclude as you get 2 instead of one...
...if there is such a self consistent thing we phenomenally identify as "formlessness" without falling in a conceptual misunderstanding, such thing is exactly to report no the absence of shape but the presence of many shapes occurring as we observe "shapness change"...

...correction in blue...
0 Replies