Televisions were not allowed in the bedroom

jcboy

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:13 pm
That’s how it was in my parents home. If you wanted to watch TV the only place was the family room, only TV in the house. I remember telling my parents I’d like to have a TV in my bedroom and that didn’t go over too well.

“The bedroom is not the place to be watching TV” that’s what they use to tell me.

To this day I’ve never had a TV in the bedroom, now when I had my condo in CA I did install a small flat panal in the bathroom so I could watch the news while getting ready for work in the morning. I just thought of this tonight becaues I was thinking of getting a small flat panal for the kitchen to watch while we’re making dinner. Good idea? I think so, this way I don’t leave the kitchen for something to watch on TV and leave something to burn on the stove. Gensis

parados

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:16 pm
@jcboy,
If you had a television in the bedroom, then you wouldn't have to worry about leaving something burning on the bed.

Oh wait.. Never mind....
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:21 pm
@jcboy,
When I was growing up, we had exactly one b&w TV set. It was the only kind they had in those prehistoric days. It sat in the living room. The idea of putting a TV in any bedroom would have been considered bizarre by my parents. I don't watch TV. Like Roger, at the moment I don't even own a set. I get my morning news on the radio (NPR, locally that's HPR or KHPR in Honolulu). I also listen to "All Things Considered" on NPR most evenings.
trying2learn

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:22 pm
@jcboy,
That is how it was when I was growing up, no tv except in the family room. I still don't have a tv in my bedroom or any other room except in my family room.

Good idea? If that is what you want, why not?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:26 pm
We got to see TV in relatives' homes after I was twelve. When we finally got a 19" it sat in the living room, with as many wires and coathangers as we could get attached for an antenna.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I don't either.
I get my news online.
I have memories of me as a lonely teen (13, just moved far away, no friends yet), sitting with my family in the living room when we lived at my aunt's house, she being sickly, all of us eating tv dinners on tv trays, watching Lawrence Welk. This prefigured some of my future aesthetic distastes. Who knew they were some of the last pretty happy memories of the family.
Lustig Andrei

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I was never much of a TV watcher, even as a kid. Always preferred a good book and listening to the radio. You know how these days every parent is concerned that their children watch too much TV. Well,when we got our first TV my mother would get mad at me for not watching! She'd say, "Your father paid a lot of money for this set and you hardly ever watch it. What's wrong with you? Come, sit down and we'll watch Ed Sullivan."
ossobuco

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I watched it sporadically. Watched Captain Video in Chicago. And some nut named Tom Duggan with a late night show - my parents didn't mind my staying up. Would have been twelve then. Later liked cowboy series and similar, especially Maverick. Grew up to like british exported series, like the one I can never remember the name of, oh yeah, House of Cards. Also the brit series Glittering Prizes written by Frederic Raphael. Tend to like sharp writing in tv.

But mostly I'm the mad reader type, get the scenes in my mind that way.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:19 pm
We didn't even have a TV until I was around 12 years old ....and bought one only because my brother begged my parents endlessly. Needless to say, there was no TV in the bedrooms later on either.

Neither do we have one now in the bedrooms, even though my daughter would love to have one. I just don't believe in having too many electrical things around your sleeping area, the electro magnetic fields it creates can't
be healthy.

We don't really watch that much TV to begin with - thank goodness!
0 Replies

boomerang

Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:49 pm
I guess I'll be the boat rocker...

A TV in the bedroom can be good cover noise for more adult activities when you have kids in the house. So..... I'm not opposed.

I don't watch much TV but when I do I like to laze around to do it, so having it in the bedroom is nice.

At night I like to read but I find it very comforting when Mr. B and Mo come cuddle up in bed and watch a show while I'm reading. That's about the only time the TV is on in our house and it's really one of my favorite times of day.
roger

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:22 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Know what? I just discovered a nursing home that doesn't allow radio or television. Not sure of their reasoning, but it looks perfect in all other respects, too. For what it's worth, it's operated by, or closely associated with the Mennonite Church.
Lustig Andrei

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:48 am
@roger,
Mennonites, much like the Amish, are 'plain folk' who, I suspect, don't much go in for that sort of new-fangled gadgetry.
roger

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:54 am
@Lustig Andrei,
In many ways, the seem stuck in the early part of the last century. Since my hearing aid doesn't do well at sorting out television sound and restaurant clatter from conversation, I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

I do enjoy the sight of the ladies operating large, commercial mowers with the little white caps and the ankle length dresses tucked modestly between their knees. They're easily the most respected members of our little community.
0 Replies

saab

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:56 am
We don´t have a TV in the bedroom nor in the kitchen.
I would not like to have a TV in the kitchen. I like to listen to the radio - especially music - but to watch TV - no.
We did not haveTV at home until much later than other people. The neighbors kept on asking why we did not have one. We got one - not that my father really wanted one, but because visiting relatives wanted it.
When the antenna got up on the roof neighbors came to ask if he finally got a TV. No he said I just got the antenna so you should stop asking. It took a few days till they figured out that there was a TV at the end of the antenna.
aidan

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 01:16 am
@saab,
I grew up with only one tv in the living room. Then I went away to college and the tv was in this separate room, so I got out of the habit of watching it. Then I moved in with my then boyfriend and he was a tv watcher, so we had one tv in the living room.
Then I got married and we had one tv in the living room. That got stolen (along with everything else of value when our house got broken into when we were on vacation) and I didn't replace it for about three years. In fact, I didn't replace it at all - my neighbor, whose father was a tv repairman knocked on my door with a used tv and asked me if I wanted it - she later told me she did it because she was tired of hearing the music blasting from our house and thought if she gave me a tv, I'd play less music.
It didn't really work out that I played less music, although I did turn the volume down. We were good friends and I hadn't realized I was playing it that loud and didn't want to continue bothering her.

So we had one tv and one computer when my kids were little. They were both in the family room. One of my students said to the rest of the class after visiting my house (he was the same age as and friends with my son) - Mrs. H. has a nice house, but I think she be POOR - they only have one tv and one computer and they're in the SAME ROOM!
I told them that was by design. I wanted to know what my kids were watching on tv and doing on the computer.

Then we moved to England where you have to pay a tv licence fee -YES - in addition to paying for cable and all that you have to pay like over £100.00 a year to WATCH TV?! That's bull - so we didn't have a tv for about five years until my kids revolted and my son bought a tv and paid the licence fee so he could watch American sports (basketball - baseball).

So now we have one tv in the living room and one computer in the office and two laptops.

I would never have a tv in my bedroom. I read in my bedroom and I can't do that with background noise.
In the kitchen I have a stereo - I listen to music while I cook.
saab

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 01:39 am
@aidan,
We don´t have a TV on our summer cabin. We think it so much nicer to kind of live a life closer to nature. We watch the ocean, listen to the water, read.
Now and then we have rented it out and when we tell we have no TV in the house most of the time it is met with "Oh how wonderful".
aidan

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 02:01 am
@saab,
That's exactly how I feel when we go on vacation. If we're in a hotel room for the night and there's no place to go to get away from the tv, the noise almost drives me insane. It's like an irritant that just gets under my skin - even if someone is just reading the news. And the ads are the worst! I just feel like screaming, 'Turn it off!'
I'd rather read a newspaper and listen to the air conditioner hum if I can't open the window and listen to the crickets chirp.

I don't know - I just have this aversion to all that loud talking or laughing in the background. I can't listen to the radio in the car either - all that inane chatter and canned laughter.
So unless I'm totally engrossed in a movie or a show, tv just sounds like noise to me.

Your summer cabin sounds wonderful. Would you ever rent it out to me? If so, could you pm me? Thanks Saab.
saab

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 02:47 am
@aidan,
I did send a PM. Hope you got it.
aidan

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 03:08 am
@saab,
Yes, I did get it- thank you Saab. Your summerhouse sounds wonderful. I hope it works out for us to rent it and maybe we could meet and have some real-life discussions. I always enjoy your contributions on a2k.
Setanta

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 03:26 am
Quote:
I just thought of this tonight becaues I was thinking of getting a small flat panal for the kitchen to watch while we’re making dinner. Good idea? I think so, this way I don’t leave the kitchen for something to watch on TV and leave something to burn on the stove.

My grandmother, quite the accomplished cook and baker, used to listen to soap operas on the radio. Then those soaps began to be shown on the teevee. Once, she stood in the hallway to watch the teevee in the living room, and she let something burn on the stove. I overheard her telling my grandffather--this was deeply humiliating for her--she probably had not burned anything in the kitchen since Woodrow Wilson was in the White House. I knew i must never mention it. My grandfather said not a word, but he went out and bought her a small teevee (no such thing as "portable" in those days) and made a low table for it to put in the corner. Then she could watch the soaps without burning anything.
0 Replies