Televisions were not allowed in the bedroom

farmerman

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 04:46 am
@jcboy,
One of the few rooms we dont have a tv is the bthroom. With the age of the flat panel, its possible to make little cabinets that hold em and then put those extend arm tv holders in the cabinet. 'Ya cose the cabinet when youre not watching and it looks ike a piece of antique cabinetry.

The hardest thing is figuring out the wiring and the connection to our cable. Any tv Ive put in secondary spots ony have basic cable hookups (Otherwise we require the cable box and eacxh one is 12 bucks a month. SO we cant watch premium channels or HD in the kitchen , But or main tv and bedroom tv has the full boat of channels
0 Replies

saab

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 06:15 am
@aidan,
Friends of ours were going to stay in the house. He loves to watch birds so he was going to take along a fieldglasss. I told him he did not have to. We have one and the birds are rather tame. They used to beg all the time.
He did not believe me. Took his fieldglass, sat down outside and waited for a bird up in some tree some place.
The bird came flying, sat down to rest on the fieldglass and looked at him....
End of story

OmSigDAVID

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 07:32 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
That’s how it was in my parents home. If you wanted to watch TV the only place was the family room, only TV in the house. I remember telling my parents I’d like to have a TV in my bedroom and that didn’t go over too well.

“The bedroom is not the place to be watching TV” that’s what they use to tell me.

To this day I’ve never had a TV in the bedroom, now when I had my condo in CA I did install a small flat panal in the bathroom so I could watch the news while getting ready for work in the morning. I just thought of this tonight becaues I was thinking of getting a small flat panal for the kitchen to watch while we’re making dinner. Good idea? I think so, this way I don’t leave the kitchen for something to watch on TV and leave something to burn on the stove. Gensis
Its a good idea, but I think that u shud put a nice little HDTV
in the tortoises' mansion, so that your little green friends can watch
back-to-back episodes of Animal Planet. U must rescue them from the potential of boredom.

I have a 7 foot screen HDTV in my family room and one in my bedroom, with Time Warner Cable. I got maximum pixels.
It gives a shockingly clear, precise picture. I 1ce told my friend Marty, over dinner: "U don 't look as real as my HDTV."
When I was bedridden after abdominal surgery in 2005, it saved me.
I must give credit to the writers of a lot of the shows; thay r interesting, creatively, cleverly done.

Whereas when I was a kid in school, I just tolerated some of the teachers,
I LOVE some of the information that is forthcoming from the History Channel,
the National Geographic Channel, the Discovery Channel, the Science Channel,
the Military Channel, and quite a few others.

I like some of the dramas, e.g. The Mentalist, Bluebloods,
Harry 's Law; Grimm is fun.

I like News shows like 6O Minutes, Eye Witness News; ( I like to look at Liz Cho ).
Sons of Guns, American Guns, Triggers, Top Shot

The TV has a built-in alarm clock so that it turns itself on
to my designated channel, when it is time for something that I wanna see.
It has good sound equipment; much better than in the movies.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 07:42 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Friends of ours were going to stay in the house. He loves to watch birds so he was going to take along a fieldglasss.
I told him he did not have to. We have one and the birds are rather tame. They used to beg all the time.
He did not believe me. Took his fieldglass, sat down outside and waited for a bird up in some tree some place.
The bird came flying, sat down to rest on the fieldglass and looked at him....
End of story
That is a GREAT story.
When I was at a swimming pool in Upstate NY, a colorful Monarch Butterfly came to rest on my left hand
and he remained there for several minutes.

He returned to my left hand several times.
I woud have given him Butterfly food, but I dunno what thay eat.

David
Sturgis

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:09 am
@jcboy,
With parents, we finally got a set. It was a strange item and sat on a wobbly metal cart. I liked peering in the air venting at the tubes. The t.v. was in the living room.

My aunt and uncle had a set, actually they had a few. Even so, viewing was limited and I could only watch with permission. My aunt would shut the program off in the middle if she determined it was the time to do so. There was the living room set, and 2 which were kept in the closet.

In Rutland, there was television, I even have a photo of one, and it appears to be in the living room of the house on Plain Street. There wasn't much watching of it though. Signals were not great and in the early days of television people still knew how to do other things. Then an aunt moved up from Saratoga Springs and she got something I'd never seen before, cable! This was around 1968-1970 and cable then was a service meant to give a signal where antennas couldn't pick it up very well or at all. There were no extra shows as there are today. She made a monthly payment of the astronomical $7. and change (I for some reason always remember the 7 dollar part). Payment was made in person (her choice) at a small building which had a door that opened directly onto a parking lot. I was convinced that cable must be illegal. Her set was in the living room and in each place she lived that is where it was.

The idea of a television set in the bedroom only would make sense if I were incapacitated to the degree of not being able to go elsewhere in the home to watch. Never had a set in a kitchen or bath, see no reason for either.

My current apartment has a pass-thru window and the t.v. is on the other side so I can hear what's going on and go take a quick look if there's breaking news.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:52 am
When I was a kid my brother and I had our own TV in my bedroom, I think my parents wanted us out of the living room Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Monarchs eat human blood. They wil sit on your exposed skin for severa tens of minutes before they plunge their sharp crystalline tipped proboscis into your flesh and suck the blood.
He was just doing preliminary site surveys to look where to drill
Lustig Andrei

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:52 am
@farmerman,
Recon mission, eh?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 11:21 am
@farmerman,
DAVID wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Monarchs eat human blood. They wil sit on your exposed skin for severa tens of minutes
before they plunge their sharp crystalline tipped proboscis into your flesh and suck the blood.
He was just doing preliminary site surveys to look where to drill
I see. Live & learn.
Well, its not like the mosquitos have not already done it.
He was a lot better looking than thay were. His name is Homer.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 20 Apr, 2012 11:29 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

A TV in the bedroom can be good cover noise for more adult activities when you have kids in the house. So..... I'm not opposed.

Cover noise?

The sound of a television show going on then would be a great annoyance and distraction to me.

Or commercials, especially commercials. Eye-yi-yi

In any event, I don't even know where I would put a tv in any other room in my house. I'm not going to think hard about it, because I wouldn't want another one, but I can't think where it wouldn't look goofy and out of place.

The only reason the computer looks ok is because it's in a room that's set up as an office, and nothing else.
0 Replies

Eclipsed

Sat 28 Apr, 2012 04:01 pm
@jcboy,
we're not allowed them either. The idea is absurd to us. More so because we're a family of six kids. Try buying one for each room.

However, the older kids (>16) have laptops. Not exactly the same, but similar.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Sat 28 Apr, 2012 04:12 pm
@jcboy,
I remember getting all excited when "colour" TV was born, not sure why because black and white movies are awesome Smile

We only had the one TV.. I changed that though when it was my turn to own a house, so to speak.. Strangely never had one in the bedroom, but did have one in the kitchen.

Now that I am living in David's home, yep, he wanted one in the bedroom, and now there isn't one in the kitchen Smile Strange enough, I still haven't watched it yet in the bedroom , been 8 weeks. mmm..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:48 am

I travel a lot. Whenever I stay in a hotel
it invariably has a TV in the bedroom.
Tho obviously I am free to use it,
I have very seldom done so.
I did not plan that, but it has worked out that way.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 29 Apr, 2012 01:54 am
We had a no tv in the bedroom rule for the kids for a very long time, till having a computer plus high speed internet in their rooms made the rule stupid. We have one in our room, but it is almost never used. When my wife was deployed I would have it on at night to help me sleep, but she has been back for two years and is retiring so I dont need it for that. I dont watch much, but when I do I want to see "it" on the big screen digital HD TV, perhaps with the surround sound going, so I watch in the living room.
0 Replies