What if Jesus Had Not Been Crucified, So There Was No Easter?

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 08:46 am
I very much respect Jesus, and people’s religious beliefs, so there is no offense intended when I raise this intriguing question: What if Jesus had not been crucified? What if he had lived a long life, perhaps even to experience old age and die of natural causes?

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 09:42 am
Had he not died according to the stories, Christianity would be a very different religion that what it is today.
0 Replies

33export

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 11:41 am
@Kevinanderson,
The whole story of Jesus was crafted by a Roman emperor in what is now Turkey, in Nicea. Some pagan holidays were given new names so as to make his new religion by fiat palatable to the masses.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 01:36 pm
You wouldn't be gettin' not fuckin' chocolate bunny, so count yer blessings ! ! !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 01:37 pm
@33export,
There was a Nicean council, of course, but the rest of your post is utter bullshit.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 01:43 pm
@33export,
The story of Jesus existed centuries before the First Council of Nicaea.
33export

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 02:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
Can you back that up with a link? Constantine and successors made Christianity law, and woe be unto nonbelievers.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 04:07 pm
@33export,
One thing is the assertion that Constantine and successors "made Christianity law," which is a muddled one at best, another thing is that the story, or more precisely stories, of Jesus predate the First Council of Nicaea.

One of the earliest stories of Jesus is the Gospel of Mark which, it is generally agreed, was written around 70 AD.

What the First Council of Nicaea did, among other things, was to attempt to reach a consensus about different aspects of Christian theology, like the relationship between Christ and God the Father, the calculation for the date of Easter, and the beginnings of the Church's ecclesiastical law.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:25 am
@33export,
Constantine did not "make christianity law." His sons could not even agree on a form of christianity--two were Niceans and the other was an Arian. His nephew Julian was not even a christian. After the death of Julian in 363, christianity did not become the state religion until Theodosius briefly re-united the empire in 391. The Nicean council was in 325. This is the wrong place to be spreading your bullshit.
33export

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:24 am
@Setanta,
Tell that to the court of inquisition, convened by the creation of Constantine, the christian church.. Step into my time machine here....
The penalties for heresy were not very pretty.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:25 am
@33export,
So, you live in the Twilight Zone?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:30 am
Quote:
The Inquisition, Inquisitio Haereticae Pravitatis (inquiry on heretical perversity), was the "fight against heretics" by several institutions within the justice system of the Roman Catholic Church. It started in the 12th century, with the introduction of torture in the persecution of heresy. Inquisition practices were used also on offences against canon law other than heresy. (emphasis added)

Source

You just make this **** up as you go along, huh? Constantine died in the 4th century--you were only off by about 800 years.
trying2learn

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:51 am
Easter dealt with pagans. Bunnies and eggs?
33export

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:59 am
@Setanta,
Yeah. I just make this bullshit up. Wasn't forcefed as a kid like you. The Inquisition is still Constantine's historic lovechild.

You have a good day now, ya hear?
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:05 am
@33export,
I wasn't forcefed anything. I learned these things later on, in university. I have no idea why you've got such a hardon about Constantine, but he wasn't even a christian. You as full of **** as a goose ready for slaughter.
Fido

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:15 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

Exactly so... It is very possible that Easter is older than Jesus by hundreds of years, and it is a pagan feast taken over by the Christians...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:17 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

Fertility rites.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I wasn't forcefed anything. I learned these things later on, in university. I have no idea why you've got such a hardon about Constantine, but he wasn't even a christian. You as full of **** as a goose ready for slaughter.
Geese are always full of ****... Are you a goose too, of just a chicken who thinks he is too fine to be fowl......

Try to be understanding of the fact that just as in many Gospels, events in Christian history are often telescoped together, and with many essential details missing...It is like Jews saying history is one thing leading to another... It explains as well uncle Sol breaking a strike and becoming manager of the factory as it does Hosea leading to Jesus...
33export

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 06:34 pm
@Fido,
We -or I- are being treated to vintage Setanta here. This thread has to have the highest count of **** compounds he's delivered up to now. Probably a fair barometer of his mood.

My only comment on him, I promise; his ego needs no further inflation.
Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 02:19 am
@33export,
My mood has nothing to do with it. If you post bullshit, i'll call bullshit--get over it.