Female Genital Mutilation Continues, Says Report

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:39 am
Female Genital Mutilation Continues, Says Report
Emad Mekay - IPS 2/7/04

WASHINGTON, Feb 6 (IPS) - The practice of female genital mutilation (FGM) is still widespread in many African countries despite intensified efforts to fight the procedure, said U.S. officials and women's rights activists Friday.

They were meeting in Washington to review progress in ending the practice, also known as female genital cutting (FGC), and to mark the first anniversary of the International Day of Zero Tolerance against FGC.

On Feb. 6, 2003 non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and officials from Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Guinea and Mali vowed to wipe out FGC.

But except for some patchy successes, lack of money to finance their efforts means the practice continues as before, activists reported Friday.

The procedure, which some experts say dates back 5,000 years, can cause massive and fatal bleeding to women. It can also lead to future chronic infections, sterility and serious complications in childbirth.

Performed mainly in Africa but also in some Asian and Middle Eastern nations, FGC is often practised without anaesthetic on infants and girls by medically unqualified persons.

According to a report distributed to journalists here, parents are increasingly subjecting infants and young girls -- "from the first few weeks of life to age two or three" -- to genital cutting.

Activists say those parents believe the practice prevents their daughters from being unfaithful to their future husbands and, in some communities, guarantees that women will find husbands.

Even though some governments have widely agreed to abolish FGC, it is still widespread, according to the report, which was funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and carried out by research group Macro International Inc.

Some two million girls face the practice every year, while an estimated 130 million girls and women worldwide have undergone genital cutting.

The report, the highlights of which were distributed at a press conference, says that more than 7 in 10 women have undergone the procedure in African countries like Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Sudan, Eritrea, Mali, Egypt and Guinea.

In those countries that supplied data, such as Cote d'Ivoire, Egypt, Eritrea and Mali, prevalence has gone down only marginally, if at all, during the 1990s.

The prevalence of FGC in Egypt, for example, stayed roughly the same -- about 97 percent -- between 1994 and 2003, while it rose in Cote d'Ivoire from 43 percent to 45 percent, slipped back from 95 percent to 89 percent in Eritrea and to 34 percent from 38 percent in Kenya, in the same time period.

The report says that in some countries where the practice is deeply rooted, like Eritrea and Sudan, many women are subjected to infibulation, an extreme form of circumcision that involves cutting more of the genitalia than just the clitoris, and then sewing the two sides of the vulva almost completely closed.

USAID says it is helping several African countries adopt a "zero tolerance" stance against the procedure. Senegal, Benin, Chad, Guinea and Kenya have reportedly adopted laws outlawing the practice, while Egypt has prohibited FGC in a decree.

The U.S. agency says it is also funding NGOs that carry out activities to fight the practice.

USAID official Abdelhadi Eltahir said the agency spends 1.3 million dollars to fight the practice, mostly in African countries, but that much more money aimed at ending FGC is provided through bilateral aid.

But activists said money is slow to come.

"The investments are still actually minuscule. There's lots of talk about FGM but the money that goes into FGM is actually very very little," said Nahid Toubia from RAINBO, a group based in London.

The group is seeking funding from the World Bank, the European Commission and national governments, she added.

"We are also starting to look at African philanthropy in Africa."

Groups represented at the conference said they work to fight the practice through education programmes targeted to religious and traditional leaders and young adults, which discourage female circumcision.

They also warned the procedure is becoming a domestic issues in many western countries. Through immigrant populations FGC is presenting a dilemma in the United States, Europe and Australia, in particular.

"Evidence is mounting that parents are taking their daughters back to Africa to be circumcised," said Nawal Nour, director of the African Women's Health Centre at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

"We must review current legislation and work along with the African community to find a way to stop it," said Nour, a Sudanese-born gynaecologist who has become one of the leading figures in the United States in the treatment of immigrant women who have undergone female circumcision.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,599 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:25 am
That practise is SO f@cking barbaric.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:18 am
I cannot imagine how any parent can allow this kind of mutilation to be inflicted upon their child.

The first time I saw my niece, I realized that I would kill anyone that hurt her without a second thought.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I just don't understand how...

Is there anyone on this board who can explain the rationale of this ??

Confused in Orlando
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:49 am
Fedral wrote:
Is there anyone on this board who can explain the rationale of this ??

There are some reasons for it mentioned on this thread here: www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8004
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:42 am
I heard some muslim freak explaining it on a current affairs show once. I wanted to beat him to death!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:44 am
They filmed the ceremony where it was done to a child. You should have heard the scream from this little girl.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:47 am
I have a problem with inflicting male circumcision on young boys for any reason other than a medical one, so my horror & disgust at female circumcision is unlimited.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:01 pm
Is this also being done to single white females?
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:39 pm
ugh, this post is creepy and disgusting.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:56 pm
Mediaevalism. This is what those backward bludgers are about. Bloody mediavelism and they want to inflict this sort of crap on the West.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:32 pm
Just terrible!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:42 pm
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
Is this also being done to single white females?

Only in the southeast and midwest of the U.S. as far as I'm aware.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 11:11 am
There is a great film about this practice that I saw while I was in France. I don't know if it is accessible in the US or not. But I'm sure it could be found. It is called "Moolade" and takes place in Senegal. The premise is that in countries where FGM occurs, any mother has the right to call on the ancient principle of "Moolade," which is her right to protect her daughters against the practice. As long as they stay within their homes, they cannot be mutilated. However, in the film, the tribe becomes very upset because one woman tries to use Moolade. The medicine women (i.e. medically unqualified cutters) persued her daughters and continued to try to lure them out of their property so that cutting could be performed "legally." (Warning, I am goingn to spoil the ending). Eventually, they do lure the daughters out. They cut them, and the youngest dies. After this, when the women see the mother and her sister mourning over this lost baby, all of them (even supporters of FGM) begin to realize what they had subjected themselves and their daughters to. They outrage, and vow that no daughter will ever be cut again in the community.

This perhaps is very optimistic. But, besides the happy ending, it seems to present a very realistic portrayal of how the people in these communities think. Issues such as fidelty, and submission are continually brought up. And one of the daughters even faces losing her betrothed because her mother wouldnt let her be cut. I highly suggest anyone interested in this topic seek out the film. I don't know if it is available with English subtitles or not. It is in African dialects wtih some French spoken. It was made in conjunction with a French Film Maker, so the version I saw in France had French subtitles. But it may be out there in English too.
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 03:34 pm
Wilso wrote:
I heard some muslim freak explaining it on a current affairs show once. I wanted to beat him to death!

It's really an awful and ruthless practice but it has nothing to do with ISLAM ,as far as i know it is a practice related to pharaohs who performed it as a kind of torture...i think so Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:33 pm
Quote:
as far as i know it is a practice related to pharaohs who performed it as a kind of torture...i think so

Your source for this information?
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:05 pm
I think this is the movie ~

Moolade
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
I don't think it is advocated in the Koran--but many Muslims see this as a good way to keep women within the boundaries set by Islam re sexual purity.

It's weird. It's almost like the men are thinking about it 24/7--and in order to "keep themselves from sinning" they inflict outrageous barbarism on the women. I don't understand why world bodies haven't attacked this practice head on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:44 pm
WHO on incidence offemale genital mutilation..
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:59 pm
The overwhelming problem of subsaharan Africa is overpopulation!

You'd think that a "sexually handicapped" female wouldn't have much interest in activities resulting in additional births --- GUESS WHAT you're RIGHT!!!

That still leaves the "other" African contraceptive practice --- hint,, hint,,, ---- promotes AIDS too......

Neither works obviously, their populations are EXPLODING -- what else can be done other than famine / cannibalism / torture / warfare and WHO are YOU to criticize people so desperate that they'll resort to crippling their girls for the sake of contraception?????
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:38 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
The overwhelming problem of subsaharan Africa is overpopulation!

You'd think that a "sexually handicapped" female wouldn't have much interest in activities resulting in additional births --- GUESS WHAT you're RIGHT!!!

That still leaves the "other" African contraceptive practice --- hint,, hint,,, ---- promotes AIDS too......

Neither works obviously, their populations are EXPLODING -- what else can be done other than famine / cannibalism / torture / warfare and WHO are YOU to criticize people so desperate that they'll resort to crippling their girls for the sake of contraception?????

A human.

You speak like you approve of this horrific mutilation of young girls. How about putting a fukking condom on? We goddam well supply them with enough. You prefer girls having their clitoris ripped out so the man doesn't have to diminish his enjoyment? That's beneath contempt.
0 Replies