Is this a victory? Local pub takes on Hollywood giant.

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:50 am
One of the local pubs, The Hobbit has been in dispute with a Hollywood film studio over the use of the name. It's been called Hobbit for over 20 years, and has featured some of the worlds greatest bands. I saw Chaz and Dave there, and you don't get much bigger than that. They were told to change their name or else, but following a high profile campaign with supporters like Stephen Fry and Ian McKellen, the studio has backed down, or have they?

Quote:
A Hollywood film company has offered to "amicably resolve" a dispute with a Southampton pub over its name and decor.

The Hobbit pub had been accused of copyright infringement by lawyers representing the Saul Zaentz Company (SZC) in California.

Producer Paul Zaentz said he was open to licensing the pub to use its JRR Tolkien brands.

Actors Stephen Fry and Sir Ian McKellen had criticised the company's action.

SZC owns the worldwide rights to several brands associated with author JRR Tolkien, including The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings.

Mr Zaentz told the BBC that trademark law dictated they had to act against infringements of their brands.

"Regardless of the size of the company, if we didn't go after these infringements, then other people would say 'if they can use them without authorisation, why can't we?
"When it's an established business, we like to get the company to acknowledge they are using our trademarks, stop selling infringing articles and then we will grant them a licence for a nominal fee - approximately $100 a year.

"We asked to them to contact us and amicably resolve this and are open to any suggestions they have. I'd be glad to raise a pint with them the next time I'm over."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17390623

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/dailyrecord3/mar2012/3/9/the-hobbit-pub-southampton-570989385.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,822 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:03 am
"Amicably resolve" means a buyout (or buyoff)

The "The" in front of the word probably makes a difference.

We had KKars around here for a while until KMart stepped in and claimed infringement on their name, (too similar) but the used car company was new.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:10 am
@PUNKEY,
It seems to me that once they start paying for a licence, they're admitting that Hollywood owns the name, and all the arguments about it being long established go out of the window.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:12 am
@izzythepush,
The thing is, The Hobbit is a really good pub, it attracts a wide range of people from students to pensioners, before the name change it was really quite seedy with strippers on a Sunday lunchtime.
0 Replies